Even if you don't blame Trembley...

Frobby

It's hard to make a really compelling case for him. I am not a big critic of DT, but whatever he's done, it hasn't really worked. If AM wants to try someone else, it's not going to offend me.

IMO he really needs to go... Sorry but he has managed like a guy scared...Maybe that was done based on AM & his non backing ...But he should be gone.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's hard to make a really compelling case for him. I am not a big critic of DT, but whatever he's done, it hasn't really worked. If AM wants to try someone else, it's not going to offend me.

It's also not going to make any difference until the talent gets on the field. But if it makes everybody feel better, fine.

The only thing you can say about him is he's never had any decent talent to work with. However, that is not a reason to keep him around. He came in touting fundamentals and this team is fundamentally very poor. he should go.

I'll be slightly sad if Trembley is let go, but I'll get over it.

I think many here are going to be baying just as loudly for the head of the next manager a couple of years down the road, simply because that's who they are and what they do.

Personally, my guess is that for many of the young players, seeing some continuity in management here is more important than bringing in some "proven winner" (whomever that might be). Trembley hasn't lost the clubhouse, hasn't thrown the team under the bus...hasn't done anything, IMO to warrant being let go. However, it's obviously not my decision, so I'll await MacPhail's.

Personally, my guess is that for many of the young players, seeing some continuity in management here is more important than bringing in some "proven winner" (whomever that might be). Trembley hasn't lost the clubhouse, hasn't thrown the team under the bus...hasn't done anything, IMO to warrant being let go. However, it's obviously not my decision, so I'll await MacPhail's.

With the continuity argument, if MacPhail doesn't feel Trembley is the long term answer wouldn't it make sense to bring in someone else now during a year where they start the transition from rebuild to begining to try and compete? That would give the team some continuity going into 2011 when we might have a legitimate shot at contending?

I'll be slightly sad if Trembley is let go, but I'll get over it.

I think many here are going to be baying just as loudly for the head of the next manager a couple of years down the road, simply because that's who they are and what they do.

The question should not be "has he done something bad enough to warrant being let go?" If his contract went beyond this year, that would be the case. But his contract is up. Right now the Orioles have no one under contract for 2010 to manage the team. The ONLY question MacPhail should be asking is, WHO is the best man I can get for the job in 2010? The job is vacant until someone is offered and signs a 2010 contract. If he believes Trembley is the answer to that question, then fine, he should absolutely offer him a new contract. But ONLY if he believes that. By framing the question the way you have (has Trembley done anything so bad as to not deserve to come back?), you are saying you don't want the Orioles to have the best manager possible next year.

Would you say that about any other position on the team? Would you say that the Orioles should not even consider trying to find a really good utility infielder next year because Andino has done nothing horrible enough to warrant being replaced? Of course not. You would look to field the best possible team. Obviosuly budget is an issue so if another manager cost ten times Trembley but was only, in your mind, a little better, you might not make the move. But he shouldn't get special treatment that any player doesn't get....I want the Orioles to find the best possible person for every position next year, given realistic financial constraints and longerm talent issues, etc....that means third base, closer, utility infielder, or manager. No one should automatically retain their job just because they "didn't screw up so badly".

I was a supporter of Trembley, but I have to agree. It may not be all his fault, but the O's are enduring another September swoon. Its back to the drawing board again. Man, this past old. Its too bad we can't fire Angelos, but in short I think Trembley has to go and I hope Crowley is purged as well.

I said if this team had a swoon to end the year, that DT had to go.

But we have had a ton of injuries..Lost 3/4 of our starting OF/DH...Best starter on the season..Arguably our best reliever after Sherrill was dealt...Its been tough.

But this team should have been playing better before that and they weren't.

I really see no justification in bringing back DT...I mean, what good is continuity if those making up the continuity are terrible at what they do?

Guest rochester
With the continuity argument, if MacPhail doesn't feel Trembley is the long term answer wouldn't it make sense to bring in someone else now during a year where they start the transition from rebuild to begining to try and compete? That would give the team some continuity going into 2011 when we might have a legitimate shot at contending?

Y'know I am big on continuity and this post has completely changed my mind - thank you! (yes, I mean that)

If I were AM I don't know how I could tell DT that he didn't get enough out of the team I gave to wrk with this season, and do it with a straight face or a clear conscience. I can't think of one reasonably reliable arm in the current bullpen, a SP I feel would give us a reasonable expectation of winning, and besides BRob I can't think of another bat I could count on for a key hit. This team DT has to work with currently would have a hard time beating most AAA teams.

Just like the conversation with Mike Hargrove and Lee Mazzilli.

If I were AM I don't know how I could tell DT that he didn't get enough out of the team I gave to wrk with this season, and do it with a straight face or a clear conscience. I can't think of one reasonably reliable arm in the current bullpen, a SP I feel would give us a reasonable expectation of winning, and besides BRob I can't think of another bat I could count on for a key hit. This team DT has to work with currently would have a hard time beating most AAA teams.

Every March a manager has to call players into his office and tell them that he has made the decision that they are not the best player for the team. They are being waived, or sent to the minors. Sometimes he has to crush a player's dream and tell them that they are not good enough to play at this level, or that at the very least he has 25 other guys he thinks are better. How does the manager do that "with a straight face or clear conscience"? He may never have seen the guy play except in 30 meaningless spring training games against mixed levels of pitching, but in the end he has a decision to make and he makes it.

If MacPhail decides Trembley is the best man to manage the team next year, he will offer him an extension. If he decides Trembley is not, he will have the same conversation with Trembley that a manager has with players all the time -- I'm sorry but I believe I have someone I believe is better for the job.

Hey, it's a cutthroat business. And no, it doesn't in any way relate to the life I happen to live, having chosen a career as a government employee. I don't know if I would be tough enough to handle a career in such a competitive environment. But it's the way baseball and sports have always worked....they are extreme meritocracies.

Seven games to go with 4 in Tampa and 3 home against Toronto. I have tickets to 2 of the Toronto games Friday and Saturday. I'm going to at least one if not both of them. I usually go to the last game but I want to see the Ravens and Patriots game at 1. Ten straight losses and it's possible we could lose all 7 of the remaining games. We are stuck on 60 wins. I didn't hear any of the game today on TV. Did Palmer and Thorne have anything strong to say about the team? I heard DT looked and sounded really bad after the game today. As I said in another thread I did a few days ago called "10 Games To Go and Beyond" DT looks really bad now after the losses. This was before the sweep in Cleveland. He should really think about his health before deciding if he wants to come back next season... assuming he is asked.

I don't see him being asked to come back. 72 games under .500 record now as manager. His record is now 170 - 242. It's unfortunate because he is a good person. He's just not able to bring a winning attitude to the team. The July and August record speaks for itself as do all of the other wins and losses in the 2 1/2 years DT has been manager. We are 39.5 games out of first. This seems hard to believe. Like a bad dream. The Ravens and Orioles are going in opposite directions and this has to be embarassing for many in the front office of the Orioles as well as others who work for the team.

As of today the Royals are 19.5 games out of first in their division, the Pirates are 31.5 games out and the Nationals are 38 games out. The Orioles at 39.5 games out are really embarassing and difficult to watch. 2010 will bring many changes to this team. Will AM continue as GM?

Seven games to go with 4 in Tampa and 3 home against Toronto. I have tickets to 2 of the Toronto games Friday and Saturday. I'm going to at least one if not both of them. I usually go to the last game but I want to see the Ravens and Patriots game at 1. Ten straight losses and it's possible we could lose all 7 of the remaining games. We are stuck on 60 wins. I didn't hear any of the game today on TV. Did Palmer and Thorne have anything strong to say about the team? I heard DT looked and sounded really bad after the game today. As I said in another thread I did a few days ago called "10 Games To Go and Beyond" DT looks really bad now after the losses. This was before the sweep in Cleveland. He should really think about his health before deciding if he wants to come back next season... assuming he is asked.

I don't see him being asked to come back. 72 games under .500 record now as manager. His record is now 170 - 242. It's unfortunate because he is a good person. He's just not able to bring a winning attitude to the team. The July and August record speaks for itself as do all of the other wins and losses in the 2 1/2 years DT has been manager. We are 39.5 games out of first. This seems hard to believe. Like a bad dream. The Ravens and Orioles are going in opposite directions and this has to be embarassing for many in the front office of the Orioles as well as others who work for the team.

As of today the Royals are 19.5 games out of first in their division, the Pirates are 31.5 games out and the Nationals are 38 games out. The Orioles at 39.5 games out are really embarassing and difficult to watch. 2010 will bring many changes to this team. Will AM continue as GM?

You cannot be *bleep*ing serious.

Archived