Could the Angels be after Tejada again?

JakeeO

Not trying to start rumors or mass hysteria, but I just saw this on ESPN insider. (it's under 200 words, so I believe that it is okay to post this.)

"May 26 - The Angels are in a full-scale hunt for a power bat, and finances won't slow a deal if it's the right one, the Orange County Register reports. Owner Arte Moreno has given his pledge to bump up the payroll if another team makes a slugger available, and GM Bill Stoneman will consider moving prospects or major-leaguers, whether they're pitchers or position players.

Stoneman wants a hitter in the category of Paul Konerko, Manny Ramirez or Miguel Tejada, the three players the Angels tracked unsuccessfully last winter. "When I say an impact bat, I'm using the example of last year's free-agent market. There was one impact bat available," Stoneman told the newspaper. "We're looking for a guy who has a real impact, not where you're just changing faces. To get them you've got to give something up."

So far, teams are waiting until the market takes shape in late June or July."

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If i am the Orioles, i call them up and offer Tejada and Javy for Kotchman, Wood, Shields and one of Santana, Lackey or Jared Weaver.

They do seem to be willing to give up something to get something.... but that is an awful lot to give up...

They do seem to be willing to give up something to get something.... but that is an awful lot to give up...

Yes it is but they need help and they win it all, so maybe they would do this? I can tell you what, this is what i would push for.

Morales could play first, so they may not need Kotchman.

When Colon comes back, they have Colon, Escobar, Weaver and whichever 2 they don't trade for Tejada in their rotation.

Wood is a SS, as is Tejada.

They have a deep BP and while losing Shields may hurt some, they should be able to recover and maybe they can make an additional deal to get a BP arm(Scott Williamson?).

They would also have Aybar and Mathis to make an additional deal for a starter if Jeff Weaver struggles.

If i am the Orioles, i call them up and offer Tejada and Javy for Kotchman, Wood, Shields and one of Santana, Lackey or Jared Weaver.

And they'd hang up on you before you even got to the end of that proposal. I'd give serious consideration to Morales, Mathis and Aybar. Then probably flip Mathis for a pitcher.

They'll want us to take back Cabrera too. They don't need two shortstops.

He is signed through 2008...I am not sure i would want him(i did in the offseason) because his biggest asset, his defense, is slipping.

They will just have to look to deal OCab elsewhere.

And they'd hang up on you before you even got to the end of that proposal. I'd give serious consideration to Morales, Mathis and Aybar. Then probably flip Mathis for a pitcher.

I am not so sure about that. All those guys who be dealt have replacements behind them. Stoneman doesn't like to trade prospects but adding Tejada and Lopez to his struggling offense may put them over the top.

Yes it is but they need help and they win it all, so maybe they would do this? I can tell you what, this is what i would push for.

Morales could play first, so they may not need Kotchman.

When Colon comes back, they have Colon, Escobar, Weaver and whichever 2 they don't trade for Tejada in their rotation.

Wood is a SS, as is Tejada.

They have a deep BP and while losing Shields may hurt some, they should be able to recover and maybe they can make an additional deal to get a BP arm(Scott Williamson?).

They would also have Aybar and Mathis to make an additional deal for a starter if Jeff Weaver struggles.

Certainly getting all of that talent would be a coup for the O's, and Vlad and Tejada back to back in a lineup is insane, but is Wood even touchable?

I am not so sure about that. All those guys who be dealt have replacements behind them. Stoneman doesn't like to trade prospects but adding Tejada and Lopez to his struggling offense may put them over the top.

The BJ's are looking for a second baseman...Perhaps, Hill can go to second and the Angels could deal OCab and 10 million for Hillenbrand?

Certainly getting all of that talent would be a coup for the O's, and Vlad and Tejada back to back in a lineup is insane, but is Wood even touchable?

That's a good question, one that i can not answer.

But, he has dropped off some this year as he moved up.

He also would be blocked by Tejada.

Now, they could move Wood to third and it is more likely that Aybar is the one we could get but if the Angels really want Tejada, demand Wood for now.

You're taking their top set up man, their top prospect overall and one of their starting pitchers, all of whom have great upsides. The only way you're getting all that is with a mask and a gun. By the way, change my proposal from Morales, Mathis and Aybar to Morales, Mathis and Kendrick. Then flip Mathis and Kendrick probably for a pitcher and an outfielder or see if Kendrick can make the switch to the outfield. That's a solid and realistic package.

Not sure how Kendrick and Morales is more realistic but whatever.

Anyway, another team to watch, who we would LOVE to see get involved in this would be Arizona.

They are reportedly willing to offer Quentin and Drew for Willis. So, if they wanted Tejada, they could be major players for him.

That's a good question, one that i can not answer.

But, he has dropped off some this year as he moved up.

He also would be blocked by Tejada.

he has not dropped off much, has 27 EBH and 25 walks not a great average but not bad. At his age in AA.

I would not take weaver, but if they did the deal and included Santana i think i would say pull the trigger.

Not sure how Kendrick and Morales is more realistic but whatever.

Anyway, another team to watch, who we would LOVE to see get involved in this would be Arizona.

They are reportedly willing to offer Quentin and Drew for Willis. So, if they wanted Tejada, they could be major players for him.

Well, they'd already have Drew if Angelos hadn't stuck his big schnoz in and demanded a pitcher with the 1st pick that year.

Archived