Orioles in the AFL

JTrea81

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heres a link to the PITCH FX on Brandon Erbe from today. Says his fastball peaked at 94 MPH today and the average was around 92. Right arounud a 10 MPH diff between the fastball and changeup which is good to see. I wish it gave the flight charts as well, I cannot tell just by looking at the raw data as to how much movement his pitches had. Does anyone know if there are any magic numbers with this as to whats above average/plus/plus-plus as far as the raw movement are concerned?

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/pfx/indexafl.php?s_type=3&sp_type=1&batterX=0&inning1=y&inning2=y&inning3=y&inning4=y&inning5=y&inning6=y&inning7=y&inning8=y&inning9=y&month=10&day=19&game=gid_2009_10_19_pddwin_peswin_1%2F&year=2009&pitchSel=476258.xml&prevGame=gid_2009_10_19_pddwin_peswin_1%2F

Through the first six games:

Bell: .533/.611/.867 (3 for 5 vs. LHP, with a 2B and a BB)

Snyder: .409/.458/.591

Nice start for our boys. The Desert Dogs are raking in general, hitting .317/.399/.500 as a team. And that's only second in the league, and they are third in runs scored despite averaging 7 runs/game! It really is a hitter's league.

Nice start for our boys. The Desert Dogs are raking in general, hitting .317/.399/.500 as a team. And that's only second in the league, and they are third in runs scored despite averaging 7 runs/game! It really is a hitter's league.

...bbbbut what about BABIP? :scratchchinhmm:;) Dang that LJ! :eektf:

J/K - thanks for the update Frobby!

Yes it is a hitters league, thats why when Matusz posted an ERA in the AFL similar to the one he posted in the MLB this year people still considered it a success because 1 it was his first pro stint and 2 its a severe hitters league. This is why it is impressive that Arrieta dominated, and that hopefully Erbe will continue to pitch well too...

I may have missed it, but it is good to reiterate that this league is a scouting league. I would not rely on the numbers too much. Listen to the scouts on the performances.

Id love to listen to some scouts talk about what they saw in the AFL, any idea where we can read anything at?

I may have missed it, but it is good to reiterate that this league is a scouting league. I would not rely on the numbers too much. Listen to the scouts on the performances.

Point taken, but it's not like we hear a lot of what the scouts have to say. Usually all we get are a few blurbs here and there, not particularly focused on the Orioles' prospects.

Isn't every league?

When someone uses the term scouting league it means the numbers mean far less than the typical league. The reason why folks use that terminology is not to say that this is a scouting league as opposed to other leagues, but that pretty much the only meaningful information you can gleam in from the scouts. Sample size and inconsistencies in competition make using any quantitative technique quite problematic.

Point taken, but it's not like we hear a lot of what the scouts have to say. Usually all we get are a few blurbs here and there, not particularly focused on the Orioles' prospects.

True, I just would not be caught up too much in the numbers.

10/20

From minors.blogs.com

Now on to the Stars of the Day for Monday:

Hitter

Josh Bell, 3B, Phoenix (Orioles): Bell, who came to the O's at the trading deadline in the George Sherrill deal, has been ridiculously hot. He went 4-for-5 on Monday with a double, a triple, an RBI and three runs scored. He's tied for the league lead with a .533 batting average and he's second with a 1.478 OPS. He's gone 7-for-9 over his last two games. Bell is coming off a very solid 2009 campaign in Double-A, finsing with a .295 average, 20 homers, a .516 SLG and .892 OPS. He slugged .570 with a .917 OPS in 33 games after coming to the Orioles organization.

Pitcher

Brandon Erbe, RHP, Phoenix (Orioles): It's an O's sweep. Erbe made his AFL debut a good one, tossing two perfect innings while striking out two. The Desert Dogs, not shockingly, are now 5-1. Erbe missed considerable time with a shoulder injury. When he was on the mound in Double-A, the 21-year old was nasty, with a 2.34 ERA and .170 batting average against.

Not a bad day for the good guys.

Archived