Kevin Millwood Possible Trade Updates...

jdouble777

I'm not flipping over tables over this or anything, I'm just saying that you can probably get comparable production from someone on the free agent market.

I thought the only pitcher that said he didn't want to play here specifically was Looper, but I could be wrong.

I think both Looper and Garland said that they specifically only wanted to pitch in the NL. Garland would seem to fit better in WAS than BAL if he was going to come to this area.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because kinda like SG said, these arms are a dime a dozen. Ray had another shot last year and showed that he couldn't handle closing, so are two 6th-7th inning arms more important than a guy that has shown to be durable, a veteran and a guy that can have success in a hitter's park?

If a numbers crunch comes down, it's going to be Ray that gets squeezed, and SJ is a guy that has had some success, but I don't expect it to translate to higher levels or ML starting, I see him with 7th inning arm ceiling.

If your rotation comes down to Guthrie, Matusz, Tillman, Bergy, and Hernandez, then you have Koji, JJ, Mickolio and closer-to-be-acquired in the pen, those last couple slots can just as easily go to guys like Tanaka, Arrieta, Lebron, Berken, etc. If you add another starter, you can throw DH into that bullpen mix. Ray is no real loss, and one more rough stretch and his value is non-existent, at least you can get something for him now.

I guess first I don't see Ray and Johnson as the same player. Ray has had success in the ML. Last year was his first back from injury. He experienced some success last year. For a period after his recall he was downright dominating. I think he tired toward the end of the year.

You have to remember we are trading him for 1 year of Millwood. It isn't like we are trading for someone that we has any chance of being part of our future.

I do agree with you that if he struggles in 2010 he will lose all trade value. I suppose my heartburn is strictly based on trading a fairly young guy who has experienced some success in the majors when we frankly don't have a lot of that on the current roster for 1 year of Millwood.

I guess first I don't see Ray and Johnson as the same player. Ray has had success in the ML. Last year was his first back from injury. He experienced some success last year. For a period after his recall he was downright dominating. I think he tired toward the end of the year.

You have to remember we are trading him for 1 year of Millwood. It isn't like we are trading for someone that we has any chance of being part of our future.

I do agree with you that if he struggles in 2010 he will lose all trade value. I suppose my heartburn is strictly based on trading a fairly young guy who has experienced some success in the majors when we frankly don't have a lot of that on the current roster for 1 year of Millwood.

But Ray is also heading into arbitration eligibility.

It's not like Ray is really young either he's going to be 28 this year, and his velocity is down from that successful year a while back. If I had to choose between Ray and DH it's not even close.

It's a good question though - if this does go through, do we still persue Bedard? Our rotation seems set with Guts, BB, Matusz, and Tillman. No place for 2 additional starters.

As previously mentioned, there is no way Bedard is ready for OD and I would be surprised if it is before June1st. So I think we still go after Bedard if the price is right, but I never expected him to be part of our 1st half team, but he would give up options and flexibility for the second half of the season. That is why Millwood makes sense with a second half pitcher coming off an injury.

I like Ray, and I think that he could be an effective MLB pitcher as early as next season, but the same could also be said of Sarfate and Albers when healthy. The O's are probably going to lose at least one of these three anyway before ST, and if Ray is traded, it gives them a chance to keep the others on the 40-man and see where they stand during ST.

Basically, if it goes down this way, it's the closest thing to getting Millwood for free. Considering his salary, that's about what he is worth, but it's a good pickup, and if things work out at the deadline, it could turn into a very favorable series of moves.

Exactly. I would have preferred Ray to be here and be successful. But in this scenario, he's clearly a better candidate for trade than any of the prospect mentioned yesterday.

Oh don't get me wrong I think trading Ray is better than anything we heard yesterday too but I still think it is a bit much for 1 year of Millwood.

SG does make a good point tho, if we are planning on non-tendering him or DFAing (does he have options?) then I suppose that means they have no faith in him going forward and then this becomes a slam dunk.. Then it becomes a difference in opinion on Ray's talent/health/future production and I frankly would have to defer to AM on that point.

Oh don't get me wrong I think trading Ray is better than anything we heard yesterday too but I still think it is a bit much for 1 year of Millwood.

But it could be a great deal for a half-year of Millwood if they move him at the deadline. He could have considerable value with a decent first half.

I'd jump all over Ray for Millwood with us paying all the money on Millwood's contract if necessary.

Heck, if Millwood has a good first half and we're not in contention, he could fetch us a good prospect at the deadline. I like Ray, but he's not a prospect at this point and thus he's expendable.

One year of Millwood is...

1. Flipped at the trade deadline for more prospects.

or

2. Draft pick compensation when he becomes a free agent.

A few posts said that if we get Milly, then we are good on SP. Just think about last year... I know some things are different. But injuries, plus potential trades make it uber important to have as much SP as possible. I like the idea of picking up Bedard (AND Sheets), but I also know going in that a whole season of healthy pitching out of him/them is not likely.

One year of Millwood is...

1. Flipped at the trade deadline for more prospects.

or

2. Draft pick compensation when he becomes a free agent.

3. He isn't very good and we can't deal him and you can't risk offering him arbitration.

4) You have injuries or poor development from young pitchers, keep him throughout the year and still not offer him arbitration.

Archived