Kevin Millwood Possible Trade Updates...

jdouble777

I wouldn't give up one prospect for Millwood but AM likes those cheap alternatives so this might happen.

If you're going to give up a prospect then you should get something good and long term in return.

Well Schmuck is stating it is Chris Ray, who isn't a prospect. There are serious doubts as to whether he will ever be an effective pitcher so this isn't much at all. And Millwood wouldn't have a choice in the matter.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It's a good question though - if this does go through, do we still persue Bedard? Our rotation seems set with Guts, BB, Matusz, and Tillman. No place for 2 additional starters.

I think we still target him. If the Millwood trade goes through, it provides the flexibility that would allow us to wait a month or two for Bedard's return. I really hope we still persue him.

I don't understand this? We are positive that Ray will not be on the ML roster? Well Bell probably won't be on the OD roster either does that make him expendable? Obviously I know thats not what you mean but just because someone isn't going to be on the OD roster doesn't mean they are garbage throw ins. Like Mackus said, the deal gets considerably worse if it is Ray and Johnson.

Because kinda like SG said, these arms are a dime a dozen. Ray had another shot last year and showed that he couldn't handle closing, so are two 6th-7th inning arms more important than a guy that has shown to be durable, a veteran and a guy that can have success in a hitter's park?

If a numbers crunch comes down, it's going to be Ray that gets squeezed, and SJ is a guy that has had some success, but I don't expect it to translate to higher levels or ML starting, I see him with 7th inning arm ceiling.

If your rotation comes down to Guthrie, Matusz, Tillman, Bergy, and Hernandez, then you have Koji, JJ, Mickolio and closer-to-be-acquired in the pen, those last couple slots can just as easily go to guys like Tanaka, Arrieta, Lebron, Berken, etc. If you add another starter, you can throw DH into that bullpen mix. Ray is no real loss, and one more rough stretch and his value is non-existent, at least you can get something for him now.

That's more like it.

I still think you could probably get Garland for cheaper $$$$, but whatev.

If Garland didn't want to come here last year, why would he want to this year? If you want Garland your going to have to give him at least 2 years and over pay.

I think that was all coming out of the Texas side. I don't think we ever offered the names that were talked about . Don't forget Pie also .

Sorry Felix, I didn't mean to offend. But yeah, I think the Roch quote that allstar brought up demonstrates how this and every other name whispered in passing is instantly tweeted and texted.

I think Roch said it best in an entry the other day...gone are the days where you fact check and get the real story before you post your name to something. In this day of twitter, and blogs they race to throw the first rumor they hear out there and hope it's their name next to the one that ends up being right in the end.

In the end I'm fine with Ray, and could live with having to deal a fringe prospect as well if need be.

If Garland didn't want to come here last year, why would he want to this year? If you want Garland your going to have to give him at least 2 years and over pay.

You would thing that AM would have went this route first. I honestly don't think Garland wants to come here...and especially not on a one-year deal.

If the Millwood deal shakes down as a Ray for Millwood swap, I am completely OK with it.

I'm not flipping over tables over this or anything, I'm just saying that you can probably get comparable production from someone on the free agent market.

I thought the only pitcher that said he didn't want to play here specifically was Looper, but I could be wrong.

I think we would still go after Bedard or Escobar or someone like him. Just think if Millwood is decent next year we can flip him at the break for a prospect. He only has one year on his contract. In the end this could be a good deal for us.Chris Ray and another pitcher for a better prospect.Bedard also might not be ready for a month or two,

Wouldn't shock me to see us throw in Steve Johnson, who they didn't protect on the 40 man....If you can get Millwood for Ray and SJ and have them eat 2-4 million of the contract, that's a good deal for us.

If the O's have since heard rumors about Steve Johnson getting picked up in the Rule 5, it would make sense to see if Texas would take him and pay 2 million more in Millwood's salary. Otherwise we only get $50K. Could make some sense.

Don't forget this is also just a rumor and Texas might want more or they might go to another team to try to get more.Hang on for the ride.
True, its also just a rumor so people shouldn't be assuming this is a done deal.

However, this rumor does pass the smell test as far as something that we'd be willing to offer and they'd be willing to accept (provided the rumor also isn't that they are paying $8-9M of his deal, it's kosher if its just a couple million).

I think we would still go after Bedard or Escobar or someone like him. Just think if Millwood is decent next year we can flip him at the break for a prospect. He only has one year on his contract. In the end this could be a good deal for us.Chris Ray and another pitcher for a better prospect.Bedard also might not be ready for a month or two,

Depending on what they want to do with Arrieta, it seems Escobar would make more sense. He did play well in the bullpen before, so the versitility would be useful with the youngin's

Archived