Kevin Millwood Possible Trade Updates...

jdouble777

I am DOWN with that trade. A proven SP who can eat innings and maybe put up a decent ERA outside of Arlington for a RP who hasn't gotten anyone out since a major injury? Nice. And the $$ doesn't concern me, it is only a one-year commitment.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sold......

That's the kinda deal I expect from AM. :)

If that's really on the table, AM has to pull the trigger. Who cares if Ray showed signs of greatness last year? We have enough power arms in the system to take his spot. The one thing we don't have is a veteran top of the rotation starter who can eat up innings.

Getting a guy of Millwood's caliber would affect the entire pitching staff top to bottom and although Millwood is a second tier #1 starter, he's a good start.

Not sure how many pitchers are willing to come to Baltimore for a 1 year deal and it seems like AM only wants a 1 year commitment.
Agreed, that's why I like the trade options better than the FA options for SP.

At the very least, you aren't going to get a free agent SP to accept a 1-year deal here anytime soon. You might be able to get one later in the offseason, but taking care of a need now even if it is a bit more expensive might be worth the peace of mind and elimination of the risk of having to go with a Eaton-type option in late January.

Not sure how many pitchers are willing to come to Baltimore for a 1 year deal and it seems like AM only wants a 1 year commitment.

Now the question is does that mean he is not going to try to sign Bedard or Harden if he gets Millwood? I mean you could sign Bedard AND Harden and between them you might get one full season.

I think we are still working on a deal. I think we will have to throw in another second tier prospect.Looks like we might have a deal soon. Texas needs to free up money.

Wouldn't shock me to see us throw in Steve Johnson, who they didn't protect on the 40 man....If you can get Millwood for Ray and SJ and have them eat 2-4 million of the contract, that's a good deal for us.

Are we overvaluing just a tad? Sure, Ray MIGHT bounce back and have a good career as a closer, but he may never reach his potential. For a veteran starter, that is quite reasonable.

For a veteran starter for 1 year that is.

Risk of players not reaching their potential is true for every player. What we have in Ray is that we have seen some very good stretches in the ML. To put it this way, if he does have a good career as a closer a trade for Millwood will look pretty horrific at least to me.

Wouldn't shock me to see us throw in Steve Johnson, who they didn't protect on the 40 man....If you can get Millwood for Ray and SJ and have them eat 2-4 million of the contract, that's a good deal for us.
I'd like the deal a lot less if we include Johnson. If you assume he's gonna be taken in the Rule V then it doesn't matter, but two wrongs don't make a right. Not protecting Johnson was a poor move, IMO, and dealing him for Millwood would also be a weak move.

Archived