Rosenthal: Orioles Join Holliday Bidding

MarylandTerp08

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am so confused by the attitudes around here. Is the money coming off your plate? It's not your money.

Holliday is the power RH middle of the lineup bat that this team desperately needs. He has a better track record than everyone on the team- I didn't say more potential.

He is better than Pie, he is better than Reimold and should start in front of both of them. Pie can go for a pitcher, Reimold can be your 4th of/DH.

Again this is the talented player we have been clamoring for and so many people on here just say "I dont want him"???

Sigh...

Risk/Reward Timing etc etc etc.

The biggest obstacle to landing Adrian Gonzalez could be Jed Hoyer the new GM with the Padres who left the Red Sox to take this position. The following comments were made by Jeff Moorad who hired him.

After firing Towers, Moorad said he wanted a more "strategic approach" from his GM. Towers was known more as a seat-of-the-pants GM who built four NL West winners and had his 1998 club reach the World Series, where it was swept by the Yankees.

Hoyer said he wants to build a consistent winner through scouting and player development rather than via free agency and trades.

"There's no magic formula that I learned in Boston, there's no special sauce," Hoyer said. "I think it comes down to the building blocks of baseball, which are scouting and player development. This game ultimately comes down to great scouting, it comes down to great coaching, which I want to instill here."

Hoyer knows the Red Sox farm system better than the Orioles players. Will he be loyal to his old team or go for the best deal offered by the Orioles?

I am so confused by the attitudes around here. Is the money coming off your plate? It's not your money.

Holliday is the power RH middle of the lineup bat that this team desperately needs. He has a better track record than everyone on the team- I didn't say more potential.

He is better than Pie, he is better than Reimold and should start in front of both of them. Pie can go for a pitcher, Reimold can be your 4th of/DH.

Again this is the talented player we have been clamoring for and so many people on here just say "I dont want him"???

http://detnews.com/article/20091210/SPORTS0104/912100376/Dave-Dombrowski--Trade-aids-future

Picture 4 years from now, with Wieters, Jones and Reimold approaching free agency and the Orioles handcuffed by two enormous salaries.

Just a cautionary tale, frivilous spending can bite you in the ass.

http://detnews.com/article/20091210/SPORTS0104/912100376/Dave-Dombrowski--Trade-aids-future

Picture 4 years from now, with Wieters, Jones and Reimold approaching free agency and the Orioles handcuffed by two enormous salaries.

Let's not let good examples get in the way of good offseason excitement, Hank. We wouldn't want that to happen.

It CAN, but can you really expect to home-grow every impact player on your team?

Maybe we've seen enough "good" and "very good" players develop to think we're 1-2 acquisitions away from contending. You have to make your move at some point and you don't want to wait TOO long.

6/$108M is the max I'd go for Holliday, but if we can land him for that much or lower, I'd make the move. I don't think we can get him for that amount, though.

The Gonzalez stuff is not happening. Even less likely than getting Holliday, which is also very unlikely. There is just no chance MacPhail trades away 3-4 pieces of the core for 2 years of Gonzalez.

6/$108M is the max I'd go for Holliday, but if we can land him for that much or lower, I'd make the move. I don't think we can get him for that amount, though.

The Gonzalez stuff is not happening. Even less likely than getting Holliday, which is also very unlikely. There is just no chance MacPhail trades away 3-4 pieces of the core for 2 years of Gonzalez.

+1

Settle down, ya'll.

It CAN' date=' but can you really expect to home-grow every impact player on your team?

Maybe we've seen enough "good" and "very good" players develop to think we're 1-2 acquisitions away from contending. You have to make your move at some point and you don't want to wait TOO long.[/quote']

Call me crazy, but I'd rather lock up Reimold, Jones, and Wieters instead of having Matt Holliday.

Archived