Rosenthal: Orioles Join Holliday Bidding

MarylandTerp08

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Your initial point was why does any fan care about the money. Its entirely reasonable to evaluate the potential of a deal and include overall team economics (including the ability to extend the young talent) as part of the analysis. You slammed such consideration under the guise of "who cares, its not my money." Now, you may be right in your subsequent post that MASN, etc. would allow the O's to make a $20M expenditure on a player like Holliday as part of an overall effort to field a competitive team. They key is whether Holliday is such a player or is he more like Carlos Lee and A. Soriano.

What if Reimold gets you fairly close to Holliday's production at a fraction of the cost?

:confused:Hmmm, really tough call...

I think Reimold had a very exciting year last year but he exceeded everyone's expectations. Who is to say the league does not catch up to him? I am just not ready to call him an AS for the next 10 years like others. Holliday has a proven record and would be a tremendous upgrade.

:confused:Hmmm, really tough call...

I think Reimold had a very exciting year last year but he exceeded everyone's expectations. Who is to say the league does not catch up to him? I am just not ready to call him an AS for the next 10 years like others. Holliday has a proven record and would be a tremendous upgrade.

Totally agree... I think we will have a better understanding of what we have in him and Pie for that matter after this year. The point is that you have to ask yourself if Holliday is really the game changer that we are paying for. Is he the special kind of player that fills a position that we have very little hope of filling with someone already in our system? Or (and this is what I tend to believe) are we just enamored with the shiniest penny currently in the fountain.

I still contend that next offseason would be more appropriate for these kinds of big moves.

EDIT - I totally agree about not being positive about Reimold not the part about Holliday being a tremendous upgrade as we won't know that until we know more about Reimold.

Call me crazy, but I'd rather lock up Reimold, Jones, and Wieters instead of having Matt Holliday.

I would call that sensible which at times does not play well here. I think AM has a big splash coming this off season, I do not think it will be Holliday.

I think Rosenthal is getting played by an agent.

Who cares what they think. This board, IMO, caters too much to trying to pacify them and explain things to them over and over. If they want to cry like little girls because the O's "didn't WOW them" I don't care.

That said, I think there is a very small chance that Holliday comes here. I wouldn't be disappointed in a 5/85 deal, or even 6/96, but anything more than that and I don't think it would be worth it.

It's not about catering to them, I'm just genuinely curious whether they would view this as AM being willing to spend the big bucks and make aggressive moves in order to win ... or view it as just one more failure on his part to sign a premium free agent.

I personally think there's about a 5% chance of Holliday coming here, which is why I'm curious.

The one advantage Holliday has over Reimhold is that he's always had a great OBP and Avg. Reimhold in my opinion will always be a .250-.275 hitter with 20-30 HR's.
Holliday also, exists. Which is an advantage he has over Reimhold.

Nolan REIMOLD. No 'h'.

The one advantage Holliday has over Reimhold is that he's always had a great OBP and Avg. Reimhold in my opinion will always be a .250-.275 hitter with 20-30 HR's.

To me the only advantage Holliday has over Reimold is that he has a track record.

Holliday has declining OPS over the past three years (tho still very good) His OPS last year was .909 (.831 in the AL) Riemold's coincedently was also .831 and Bill James has projected him at .897 for 2009 which I am assuming is extremely optimistic but say he misses that number by 20 points (.877) it still gives you a very productive player for substantially less resources. Resources that you could use to fill other holes or extend current players.

Why does one preclude the others?

Well, assuming all those guys blow up into legitimate all stars, (which they won't) the Orioles couldn't afford to be paying 35 year old Matt Holliday $18-$20MM a year and lock all of them up (at a younger, likely more productive age) as well.

Think Magglio Ordonez, Miguel Cabrera, Bonderman, Robertson and having to deal Granderson b/c you can't afford him. I guarantee you Detroit regrets the Ordonez contract.

Well, assuming all those guys blow up into legitimate all stars, (which they won't) the Orioles couldn't afford to be paying 35 year old Matt Holliday $18-$20MM a year and lock all of them up (at a younger, likely more productive age) as well.

Think Magglio Ordonez, Miguel Cabrera, Bonderman, Robertson and having to deal Granderson b/c you can't afford him. I guarantee you Detroit regrets the Ordonez contract.

I guarantee you that Boras will not let us lock up Wieters. He'll be testing the free agent waters by which time Holliday will likely be off the books.

Reimold is quickly becoming a favorite of mine but I'd like to see how he does in his sophmore year before we talk about locking him up. Now if Holliday makes MacPhail think Reimold is expendable, well I'll be pretty angry.

I'm as skeptical as Rosenthal about our intentions here, but in the very unlikely event that it comes to pass, I think MacPhail deserves credit.

Sure they could..easily.

And Wieters isn't signing an early extension unless he fires Boras, which isn't happening.

Archived