Rosenthal: Orioles Join Holliday Bidding

MarylandTerp08

If El Sid is right about that, the Pads can go look elsewhere. I might not mind parting with Jones as the centerpiece for a Gonzalez deal but if they want Matusz MacPhail should laugh and hang up the phone. Both of them together is straight up laughable.

SG said it earlier and I agree...wouldn't even deal Matusz straight up for Gonzalez.

I don't want to part with anyone for two years of AGonz, and I can't see him extending with us.

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is a non-issue. If SD won't agree to a window to extend, or Gonzalez and the O's can't come to an agreement on a longterm deal, you move on. No harm no foul. My only concern before getting too excited is, does AGon have any no-trade clauses, and are the O's on it.

Looking at his contract, no, he doesn't have a no-trade clause.

http://mlbcontracts.blogspot.com/2005/01/san-diego-padres.html

If El Sid is right about that, the Pads can go look elsewhere. I might not mind parting with Jones as the centerpiece for a Gonzalez deal but if they want Matusz MacPhail should laugh and hang up the phone. Both of them together is straight up laughable.

SG said it earlier and I agree...wouldn't even deal Matusz straight up for Gonzalez.

Of all of the centerfield option in the game, who would you more than Jones? I wouldn't trade Jones for Granderson, Ellsbury, Hunter, Wells, or BJ Upton. The only centerfielder I would consider dealing Jones for is Sizemore and I am even iffy on him. I think Jones is the youngest and highest upside centerfielder IMO.

Let's say that Pie can post 75% of Adam Jones numbers while providing similar or better defense. If I am San Diego and I think that Gonzalez will not extend than I contemplate dealing him for Jones and anyone of Matusz, Tillman, Arrieta, or Britton. I wouldn't care which one the Orioles felt comfortable giving up in the deal. Those two players are likely to be the best package of players the Padres could receive as any team trading for him would likely offer less than those two players in value. The team trading for Gonzalez would also need to extend him for upwards of $20M per year over 5 years. San Diego might be smart to deal Gonzalez now IMO.

The Pads are going to ask for the moon and then settle on something more reasonable. That's just the way negotiations go. We offer them Pie and Hernandez, they counter with Jones and Matusz, we respond Pie and Tillman, they respond Jones, Tillman and Reimold. At some point we arrive somewhere in the middle with a package both teams can accept, or we don't and the trade doesn't happen.

Matusz isn't going anywhere. But the Pads aren't going to weaken their bargaining position by asking for less than that in their first proposal. All part of the dance.

I still don't understand why some of you think if we get Holliday that automatically makes us runners for Gonzalez.

Can we expand the payroll by THAT much in an offseason? Keep in mind we don't have a B or NY on our hats.

Ummm... yes, we can expand the payroll that much, if AM pleases. Easily.

And it makes sense, if AM brings in Holliday, we have ALL KINDS of trade pieces. Almost anything is possible at that point.

Personally, I wouldn't deal Matusz for Puljos. I wouldn't deal Matusz for a young Babe Ruth.

If he is set on playing for Boston then we are going to have a hard time extending him the closer he gets to free agency. If Adam Jones in is the deal I want a 72-hour window for an extension..

Absolutely, no extension, no trade.

We'd be stupid as hell to make a trade involving Jones and Tillman or whatever top pitching prospect we have to give up for a 2-year rental of Gonzalez.

Personally, I just wouldn't understand this move...last year Holliday just couldn't get it done in the AL, and only produced once hitting behind Pujols. We are better off waiting for next season and spending that kind of money on a #1 pitcher like Beckett, Webb, or Lee. That would allow us to deal some of our pitching depth for the bat that we need.

All things considered, I think the point is moot because I believe there to be 0% chance that he signs here.

O's pursuing AGonz at the winter meetings and now Holliday...Trea must be having a field day :laughlol:

Personally, I just wouldn't understand this move...last year Holliday just couldn't get it done in the AL, and only produced once hitting behind Pujols. We are better off waiting for next season and spending that kind of money on a #1 pitcher like Beckett, Webb, or Lee. That would allow us to deal some of our pitching depth for the bat that we need.

All things considered, I think the point is moot because I believe there to be 0% chance that he signs here.

O's pursuing AGonz at the winter meetings and now Holliday...Trea must be having a field day :laughlol:

No kidding, no way we are getting both of those guys. We would be very lucky to get one. I am not a big fan of giving $18M to a player that play's ever 5th day (I am not an Orioles exec or Peter Angelos either). It really depends on how these young guys perform and even then you do not know if it will be for years to come or just for the following year. If the Orioles would have sent Sidney Ponson and $3.5M to the Rangers then Gonzalez would either still be an Oriole or traded for a king's ransom. It only takes a year for our young prospects to excel or fall on their faces. I would roll the dice on Gonzalez, but I am against putting Jones in the deal. No way are they getting Jones plus a top pitching prospect plus 2 other players.

The young pitching is going to make it hard to contend this year, but next year should be a very good year if things play out. I just think we would be better off signing a bat like Holliday or Bay at this point and trading one of Pie or Reimold as well as Scott plus a young arm for a young player to man first.

Well isn't this interesting. I was hoping we'd be involved because he and Bay are the only FA bats out there that fit into the role of right handed impact power hitter. I just didn't expect us to get involved. If you get him, clearly other moves are coming. If you turn the excess of outfielders after a Holliday signing, into Adrian Gonzalez or Prince Fielder......that is an all time Oriole lineup. One that will carry a young rotation. We would compete.....now. A lot of things would have to fall just right though, so no need to get carried away just yet. But the possibilities.....

Well isn't this interesting. I was hoping we'd be involved because he and Bay are the only FA bats out there that fit into the role of right handed impact power hitter. I just didn't expect us to get involved. If you get him, clearly other moves are coming. If you turn the excess of outfielders after a Holliday signing, into Adrian Gonzalez or Prince Fielder......that is an all time Oriole lineup. One that will carry a young rotation. We would compete.....now. A lot of things would have to fall just right though, so no need to get carried away just yet. But the possibilities.....

Never gonna happen but this lineup looks nice.

Roberts

Markakis

Holliday

Gonzalez

Wieters

Jones

Reimold

Atkins/Bell Platoon

Izturiz

Archived