Rosenthal: Orioles Join Holliday Bidding

MarylandTerp08

• Replies 368
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the record...

I don't think this is likely. I agree with SG that, if we do this, we better have a solid plan for what to do with the OFers. For me, that could involve moving them to 1b and/or a trade.

In any event, the three things that give some credence to this rumor, IMO, are the fact that the market seems to be down this year, the O's have some payroll flexibility, and I really didn't understand giving up a 2nd rounder for Gonzalez. For all intents and purposes, signing a "big bat" would mean that we really gave up a 3rd rounder for Gonzalez. That's a somewhat better price to pay.

Why can't we do all of them? I can't imagine the O's are losing money or even close to that level?

With our attendance lately we would be losing money horribly with that kind of payroll. If we got back to selling out every game it might be a different story, but expecting the stadium to fill because of a couple acquisitions in this economy might be a little fool-hearty.

Either way, this just smells of doing Boras a solid to drive up the price for STL. There is something to say for the relationship between MH and Atkins and Roberts though, they are two of his best friends. Not saying it'd be enough to get him here, but might be enough for him to think about it.

For the record...

I don't think this is likely. I agree with SG that, if we do this, we better have a solid plan for what to do with the OFers. For me, that could involve moving them to 1b and/or a trade.

In any event, the three things that give some credence to this rumor, IMO, are the fact that the market seems to be down this year, the O's have some payroll flexibility, and I really didn't understand giving up a 2nd rounder for Gonzalez. For all intents and purposes, signing a "big bat" would mean that we really gave up a 3rd rounder for Gonzalez. That's a somewhat better price to pay.

Yeah, I'd imagine that there'd be some kind of trade coming involving an OF. I still want to see a little more success from Pie before I'm ready to think about trading Jones. CF is a hard position to fill, not to mention get a lot of offensive production out of.

I would be OK with Reimold at first or Holiday if he is willing to play it. But please we need to part ways with Luke Scott. He is too hot/cold. I'd even be OK with us looking to trade Markaikis. I don't think he is ever going to be the player we expected and I bet we could fetch top talent for him.

Of course, if we don't sign Holiday it's just another example of a failed free agent pursuit on Angelos and crew.

Good stuff mixed with the usual cynical types that I guess think they are clever or something.

I agree that Holliday only makes sense if AM has another domino lined up for one or more of Scott/Jones/Pie. I don't think it's likely it would parlay into AGon, unless SD is willing to accept one of our pitchers not named Tillman or Matusz. Just don't think AM is ready to deal either of those guys yet. Could he deal Markakis? I don't know.

Very interesting though. I don't think AM is the kind of guy that makes token gestures just to excite the fan base.

So the real question is (and if this has already been asked/answered, I apologize, haven't read the entire thread yet) ... if we don't end up signing Holliday, will people like Trea and MSK applaud AM for making an effort to sign a top tier free agent? Or will they complain because he once again failed to properly wine and dine him or make a suitable WOW offer?

So the real question is (and if this has already been asked/answered, I apologize, haven't read the entire thread yet) ... if we don't end up signing Holliday, will people like Trea and MSK applaud AM for making an effort to sign a top tier free agent? Or will they complain because he once again failed to properly wine and dine him or make a suitable WOW offer?

Well, we have no idea what kind of effort AM has made to get Holliday.

There ya go.

Who cares what they think. This board, IMO, caters too much to trying to pacify them and explain things to them over and over. If they want to cry like little girls because the O's "didn't WOW them" I don't care.

That said, I think there is a very small chance that Holliday comes here. I wouldn't be disappointed in a 5/85 deal, or even 6/96, but anything more than that and I don't think it would be worth it.

IMO, I think everyone is getting a little carried away by the "possibility," especially when the "probability" is so low. I just don't see Holliday as a "go for" player for the Orioles, especially since Reimold is capable of putting up similar numbers offensively -- and a platoon of Reimold/Pie would likely exceed Holliday's output and be better defensively.

Our greatest need right now is at 1B, and I think that is where MacPhail will make his "big move."

http://detnews.com/article/20091210/SPORTS0104/912100376/Dave-Dombrowski--Trade-aids-future

Picture 4 years from now, with Wieters, Jones and Reimold approaching free agency and the Orioles handcuffed by two enormous salaries.

Just a cautionary tale, frivilous spending can bite you in the ass.

Comparing the Orioles franchise with MASN vs Detroit and their situation is apples and oranges. Besides the fact that Detroit has a great return on Granderson and Jackson that even Dombrowski stated in the article set them up great for the future.

Bottom line is we need a bat like Holliday in this lineup and if there is a remote chance of getting it done- without giving up the farm like AGON- then you jump at it

Archived