Time to trade Felix Pie

SilentJames

I am a big fan of Gomez. I think he is at the top of the second tier class of CFers (Gutierrez is in the top tier all by himself). I would be trilled if AJ turns out to be in that class of fielder (my guess is he is in the 5-8 run range)

Granderson had 2 great years and they have dropped off.

I admittedly don't see nearly enough of these players to make great comps -- too many variables involved in defense. But from what I have seen that is the class I'd think Jones and Pie could wind up in.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not surprised because I looked at that link and had no idea what all those columns are about.

Jones is a very well respected OF. I would be surprised if runners took chances on AJ arm.

I still think he could be even better. A lot of times when he throws to the plate he's off balance and his throws go off line. And, we've seen times when he has thrown off his back foot when he could have lined up for a better throw.

I still think he could be even better. A lot of times when he throws to the plate he's off balance and his throws go off line. And, we've seen times when he has thrown off his back foot when he could have lined up for a better throw.

Good observations, and I agree. Finding more consistency in his set-up and release could potentially go a long way towards making him a more effective arm.

I've had Extra Innings for years and I watch a lot of games. I've never seen Pie throw comparable to Markakis, Vlad, or any of the power arms in RF. Maybe I missed those games.

I have my opinion and others have theirs. Only time will tell who's right.

And don't worry about the snotty thing, my wife has that market covered.:D

I'll rephrase to below average arm and power. All of those "trade Jones" and "make Pie the CF starter" may have gotten to me.

Just because you don't have as good of arm as a guy who has one of the best outfield arms in the game and another guy who had one of of the best outfield arms in the game doesn't make doesn't make you below average.

I still think AJ has to get use to his body.

Wonder if he's referring to this:

What kind of player does new Padres general manager Jed Hoyer want/value as he moves into his first season?

There's not one type of player Hoyer likes or covets, though he has talked about finding players who fit this ballpark, PETCO Park. After all, the Padres do play 81 games here. That player is an athletic one, has doubles-power, someone who can run ... if it's an outfielder, someone who can go get a ball, someone who won't clog the bases. Granted, you need thumpers in the lineup, but ones who are undeterred by the spacious dimensions of the ballpark.

Pie and ? to SD for ?

Jones and it's not close. People refer to Pie as a 5 tool player. Well he doesn't hit for much power, has a weak arm, and doesn't steal even though he's fast. Doesn't sound like 5 tool to me. I'm not totally down on him, I just think some massively overrate him.

I am one of Pie's big supporters, not so much on what he has done as on the potential. He's an explosive natural athlete with amazing tools. I think you're wrong about his power: the ball jumps off his bat. Pie doesn't steal bases (yet) but that's just one dimension of speed. His range in the OF is tremendous. And he has a great arm--you're definitely wrong about that.

Tools alone won't get a player far, but in the second half of 09 he started to show what could happen if he starts putting it all together. I don't have any objection to trading him if they can get a solid return, but I want to see what he can do with extended playing time, and I really want to see him do it in an O's uniform.

I've had Extra Innings for years and I watch a lot of games. I've never seen Pie throw comparable to Markakis, Vlad, or any of the power arms in RF. Maybe I missed those games.

Keep watching. In his first season with the Cubs, I saw Pie throw a one-hop strike to the plate from medium deep CF, a clothesline. It was one of those "holy ****!" plays where you're glad to have instant replay, to confirm that you actually saw what you just saw.

Seriously... Other parts of Pie's game may be subject to debate. His arm isn't.

Re: Jones, I'm really surprised that someone hasn't taken him aside and worked on his throwing mechanics. Because while he obviously has a strong arm, the accuracy is awful. He consistently throws up the 3B line when throwing to third and home. He's been doing it for two years now, and the league has figured it out.

Archived