Time to trade Felix Pie

SilentJames

Because if Pie is as good as you think he is he won't get pennies on the dollars.

Right now he will.

Nobody's gonna pay for how good he can be, they're only gonna pay for an iffy part-timer who has an upside... which is pennies on the dollar compared to how good I think he can be. What to do with him now all comes down to whether or not you think he is likely to be very good...

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Right now he will.

Nobody's gonna pay for how good he can be, they're only gonna pay for an iffy part-timer who has an upside... which is pennies on the dollar compared to how good I think he can be. What to do with him now all comes down to whether or not you think he is likely to be very good...

All that is in his calculated in his value.

If he is worth pennies on the dollar it is because chances are he isn't going to be much of a player.

All that is in his calculated in his value.

If he is worth pennies on the dollar it is because chances are he isn't going to be much of a player.

You've got God doing your calculations, do you? Or are you using a Ouija Board?

You act like there is some kind of trustworthy objective metric. There's not.

You've got God doing your calculations, do you? Or are you using a Ouija Board?

You act like there is some kind of trustworthy objective metric. There's not.

I didn't say these valuations are going to be spot on. But in all honesty if Pie turns out to be 75% of the player you guys think he is, he going to bring back a very nice piece.

There are a lot of smart people working in baseball (including AM). AM obviously isn't going to dump Pie to the best offer. He is going to wait until he gets a bid that meets his ask. AM ask price will change depending on how Pie preforms this season.

My gut feeling is that no team is going to offer anything of value to us for because of 71 ABs in August.

We have heard many times that several teams have called about him...We know of the Royals interest.

I only remember KC saying that they weren't meeting AM price.

From looking I see this line from Schmuck, "Dave Trembley indicated during his managerial press conference today that there has been a lot of interest from other clubs in outfielder Felix Pie".

I didn't remember reading that before so maybe some other team is going to step up.

I didn't say these valuations are going to be spot on. But in all honesty if Pie turns out to be 75% of the player you guys think he is, he going to bring back a very nice piece.

Are you talking about the player he turns out to be, or the player he is now?

That could be two very different things.

Most likely, he won't bring back "a very nice piece" unless he gets a chance to develop. It's possible that the O's might find a team willing to buy seriously into his potential this winter without seeing another AB, but barring that, they run a big risk of selling low.

This could actually be said of quite a few players on the 40-man roster. Do you think that Tillman, Matusz, Reimold, Jones, Hernandez, Bergesen, Mickolio, Arrieta, and Wieters, are as valuable now as they will ever be? Maybe a couple are; most aren't even close. If traded now it would be pennies on the dollar compared to what they become. The same--quite possibly--is also true of Pie.

Are you talking about the player he turns out to be, or the player he is now?

That could be two very different things.

Most likely, he won't bring back "a very nice piece" unless he gets a chance to develop. It's possible that the O's might find a team willing to buy seriously into his potential this winter without seeing another AB, but barring that, they run a big risk of selling low.

This could actually be said of quite a few players on the 40-man roster. Do you think that Tillman, Matusz, Reimold, Jones, Hernandez, Bergesen, Mickolio, Arrieta, and Wieters, are as valuable now as they will ever be? Maybe a couple are; most aren't even close. If traded now it would be pennies on the dollar compared to what they become. The same--quite possibly--is also true of Pie.

Talking about some of the Pie projections for 2010.

For everyone of those players it could be their own peak in value for their careers. Every players has the potential to improve/lower their value.

If Pie looks terrible this year, then those pennies will become nothing. Sometimes it is better to get something than risk getting nothing (I don't think it is the case with Pie).

Pie has more value helping the O's than he does in trade. He just doesn't have the track record to be demanding top players in return. Unless a team that's infatuated with him like the Royals want to get frisky and trade us Butler or someone comparable from another team. There are nearly 1000 reasons to keep Pie at this point and only one not so likely reason to let him go.

The O's keep him and let him help out with depth while they get another full season to see what they have in him. If for nothing else be happy we finally have quality depth that helps soften the blow of the inevitable injuries. I also like the added pressure that Pie provides for the other outfielders to do well.

Talking about some of the Pie projections for 2010.

OK, then the question is how other teams project Pie in 2010 and beyond, and how confident they are in those projections.

And of course it would have to be a team in real need of a CFer, which limits the field. I bet the Royals are tempted.

Archived