Time to trade Felix Pie

SilentJames

The CFer to trade, if your going to trade one, is Adam Jones. His trade value is sky high coming off his undeserving GG award, and Jones is the guy that another team will over pay for. If you are confident that Pie will hit, then the move to make is trade Jones for a piece that you need. IMO, Pie is hands down the superior defensive CFer. I still think that both of these guys are questionable hitters. But I would keep the defensively superior Pie, and Trade Jones for something very, very good.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did we struggle knowing that Tulo was pretty good? Zimmerman? Gutierez?

Personally, I think it's safe to say that Pie is a good fielder. Whether he's great or not is unknown.

Depends on what system you like better. I don't have the +/- numbers, but Tulo had one amazing year and 2 average years by UZR.

Zimmerman has been amazing at 3b.

Gutierrez is a freak. Best fielding OF in baseball by FAR!!!! He is probably going to be the next Andrew Jones in CF.

All those players had the tools to be great and 2/3 have consistently used those tools become great.

What do you consider to be good? Would you consider being league average good?

I think it is safe to say Pie would be a league average LF. I definitely don't think he is safe to be a win above average.

Pie has more talent than any of our other outfielders but he is a dumb ball players. He makes so many mistakes its like hes daydreaming out there. I cant see how people want him in centerfield over Jones. Jones makes some mistakes but he plays hard every. Pie looks lost out there, the only thing that saves him is his speed.

Wow.

Trading Pie is smart because he's got a ton of hype because of that one good month in August and you might be selling high on him.

Or...we might be selling low on him. Ever consider that? Our evaluation of him obviously matters, and Crowley recently went on record saying that Pie could be a monster and that it was injuries that kept him from really showing people what he could be.

And he is more valuable as a trade chip than as a 4th OFer. We could sign Rocco Baldelli for instance and get the same if not better performance out of that spot and get something that we need that we can't get on the FA market or internally.

There are plenty of teams looking for cheap OF help that could have parts and pieces that we need.

Only if someone actually values him as highly as we do. This seems unlikely. If we're selling him as a good 4th OFer or decent starter than we're not going to get the value back that I'd want back.

Pie has more talent than any of our other outfielders but he is a dumb ball players. He makes so many mistakes its like hes daydreaming out there. I cant see how people want him in centerfield over Jones. Jones makes some mistakes but he plays hard every. Pie looks lost out there, the only thing that saves him is his speed.

It always cracks me up when people make grammatical errors while insulting the intelligence of others.

The CFer to trade, if your going to trade one, is Adam Jones. His trade value is sky high coming off his undeserving GG award, and Jones is the guy that another team will over pay for. If you are confident that Pie will hit, then the move to make is trade Jones for a piece that you need. IMO, Pie is hands down the superior defensive CFer. I still think that both of these guys are questionable hitters. But I would keep the defensively superior Pie, and Trade Jones for something very, very good.
I'm not confident that either will hit. That's why I don't want to trade either one, now. Hopefully they both will hit, and that will be a nice problem to have.

I don't know Pie's IQ, but he speaks at least 2 languages, while you seem to be struggling with one.

The Orioles need to trade to fill holes, and Pie is a valuable talent who could bring you something, particularly as part of a package.

I also strongly believe in trading him while his stock's high.

I think those two reasons add up to the need to move him this winter. Agree with Silent James.

The Orioles need to trade to fill holes, and Pie is a valuable talent who could bring you something, particularly as part of a package.

I also strongly believe in trading him while his stock's high.

I think those two reasons add up to the need to move him this winter. Agree with Silent James.

I would personally see what San Diego would be willingto give up for Adam Jones.

Going back to the original discussion, my opinion of Roch's baseball IQ dropped pretty dramatically after reading this post. You could defend saying something like "Pie was hit or miss in LF" or something like that, or that he had some lapses, but "atrocious"? Yikes.

As for trading Pie or not, the news relayed by Roch sounds about right. We're not going to trade him for just anything, but he's not untouchable. I'm sure if a deal is there that AM thinks makes us better LONG TERM, he'll make it.

I'm perfectly happy going into the 2010 season with Pie, Reimold, Jones, and Markakis on the roster. There will be plenty of at bats to go around, and I'm not a big fan of trading Pie when his value might be 25% of what it'll eventually be. Just because he's not at rock bottom like last year doesn't mean you're not selling low.

Look at it this way - Pie had his moments last year, but he's still no sure thing. You can be confident that other GMs will focus on that in trade talks. I have little hope Pie would return a big, long-term piece right now.

Going back to the original discussion, my opinion of Roch's baseball IQ dropped pretty dramatically after reading this post. You could defend saying something like "Pie was hit or miss in LF" or something like that, or that he had some lapses, but "atrocious"? Yikes.

As for trading Pie or not, the news relayed by Roch sounds about right. We're not going to trade him for just anything, but he's not untouchable. I'm sure if a deal is there that AM thinks makes us better LONG TERM, he'll make it.

Even while adjusting to LF he was one of those guys whose tools and speed made up for the bad routes and misjudgments. Once he adjusted he was obviously pretty good.

Archived