Orioles Interested In Ryan Shealy

Boca Bird

Anyone using his limited major league time as a barometer for his value is wrong.

That is not how it works.

I am not using his limited major league time.

I stated:

Is he performing at any level like he is front of the rotation material ?

He didn't dominate at "A" ball last year, so was it any surprise he couldn't handle MLB this year ?

He did good at AA earlier this year (minus the BB total, of course).

We will see how he does at Ottawa. This is a big test for him.

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I am not using his limited major league time.

I stated:

He didn't dominate at "A" ball last year, so was it any surprise he couldn't handle MLB this year ?

He did good at AA earlier this year (minus the BB total, of course).

We will see how he does at Ottawa. This is a big test for him.

This is actually kind of false....His command was poorish, which caused him to give up some runs...But his peripheral stats like homers, K's, gb/fb ratio show him to be dominant.

If he gets better command, he will dominant on this level, much less the minors.

This is actually kind of false....His command was poorish, which caused him to give up some runs...But his peripheral stats like homers, K's, gb/fb ratio show him to be dominant.

If he gets better command, he will dominant on this level, much less the minors.

You sound like the guys on the Cub boards talking about Rich Hill ;)

Each time you refer to Shealy as a AAAA player, I become more convinced that you have no idea what you're talking about.

He's 26 years old. Soon to be 27. He has yet to prove anything at the major league level. At his age he is proven to be nothing more than a very good AAAA player. Perhaps he will prove me wrong, but I guess only time will tell.

If he is the next Derek Lee then why didn't the almighty Cubbies offer Rich Hill (another good AAAA talent) for him earlier this season when Lee was DL'ed?

He's 26 years old. Soon to be 27. He has yet to prove anything at the major league level. At his age he is proven to be nothing more than a very good AAAA player. Perhaps he will prove me wrong, but I guess only time will tell.

If he is the next Derek Lee then why didn't the almighty Cubbies offer Rich Hill (another good AAAA talent) for him earlier this season when Lee was DL'ed?

Why do you keep harping on his age ?

He was 23 when he finished college (maybe he flunked 1st grade or something). Then he spent 1st 1/2 year after being drafted at rookie A, next year at A, then the next year at AA, then a year at AAA. He hasn't flunked at any level in baseball yet.

He hasn't failed yet. You don't credit him for that, you only knock him for his age- something he can't control or change. Is that fair ?

Why do you keep harping on his age ?

He was 23 when he finished college (maybe he flunked 1st grade or something). Then he spent 1st 1/2 year after being drafted at rookie A, next year at A, then the next year at AA, then a year at AAA. He hasn't flunked at any level in baseball yet.

He hasn't failed yet. You don't credit him for that, you only knock him for his age- something he can't control or change. Is that fair ?

You're kidding, right? Most major league players reach their peak performance at the ages of 26-28 years old. He has yet to make it to the majors and he is going to be 27 years old. I think SG's Jason Lane comparisons are very appropriate and are probably what we would get out of Shealy.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if the Orioles acquired him but I think Loewen is too high of a price. You may disagree and I respect that, but I believe most baseball people still have very high opinions about Loewen and if we were going to trade him I believe we could net more than Ryan Shealy.

BTW, Shealy was 23 when he finished college because he was red-shirted due to TJ surgery while playing at the University of Florida. The very same elbow that caused him to be DL-ed this spring in his failed outfield experiment.

I do have to say Dave and 66 are making a pretty persuasive case in regards to Loewen for Shealy. Personally, I would rather trade Olson than Loewen.

Unless I am misunderstanding something, the O's don't want to give up Olson, or Loewen or Penn. The Rockies probably rejected Johnson. The bottom line is that the organization, for some reason, want to hold on to all of their pitching prospects or are at least playing hardball with the Rockies, trying to get them to cave. Pick a pitcher that you feel has the least chance of succeeding and get this trade done

I basically think the biggest question is, how do Shealy's numbers translate to outside Colorodo? Are there any studies done that will show this?

You're kidding, right? Most major league players reach their peak performance at the ages of 26-28 years old. He has yet to make it to the majors and he is going to be 27 years old. I think SG's Jason Lane comparisons are very appropriate and are probably what we would get out of Shealy.

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't mind if the Orioles acquired him but I think Loewen is too high of a price. You may disagree and I respect that, but I believe most baseball people still have very high opinions about Loewen and if we were going to trade him I believe we could net more than Ryan Shealy.

BTW, Shealy was 23 when he finished college because he was red-shirted due to TJ surgery while playing at the University of Florida. The very same elbow that caused him to be DL-ed this spring in his failed outfield experiment.

You said it yourself- "most"..... Most doesn't mean all, does it ?

No, I am not kidding.

He has progressed without failure at each level. He is stuck behind Helton. There is no position for him. I suppose that is his fault too- that he is in the wrong organization.

You can argue that Loewen is not worth the price- but why downgrade everthing he has done. Statistically, he is far more accomplished than Loewen.

Jason Lane ? Do you have a crystal ball or a ouija board ? What tells you he is going to be Jason Lane ?

If so- who do you project Loewen to be- Koufax or Spahn ?

BP's most comparable players include the likes of Derek Lee, Travis Hafner, Richie Sexson.

BP's most comparable for Loewen include the likes of Corwin Malone, Adam Harben, Preston Larrison.

BP's most comparable players include the likes of Derek Lee, Travis Hafner, Richie Sexson.

BP's most comparable for Loewen include the likes of Corwin Malone, Adam Harben, Preston Larrison.

I guess you and Davearm are correct and every other organization that hasn't given away one of their better prospects for the next Derek Lee, Travis Hafner and Richie Sexson don't know what they are doing? :rolleyes:

If Shealy is "all that" then why hasn't another team acquired him already? We all know he isn't getting any younger. I mean, come on, the Rockies are only asking for the next Corwin Malone or Preston Larrison for god's sake.

BTW, It shouldn't be too long before one of those teams are knocking on your door and offering you their GM job.

He's 26, yes.

Under normal circumstances, he would have been a full-time major leaguer at age 25, after putting up a ~1.000 OPS at age 24 in AA (in a slight pitcher's park in Tulsa, BTW).

Unfortunately for him, he's stuck behind a guy that makes $480 million a year.

What you don't seem to get is that to be considered a AAAA player, a guy has to have failed at the big league level, and usually in each of several go-arounds.

Shealy more than held his own last year in his only trip to the bigs: .330, .413, .473, .886.

You're clearly confused since you think those numbers paint him as a AAAA player.

You've basically got the regular and equivalents figured right. The "regular" projections on the PECOTA cards do put the player in his organization's home park; the equivalents were the numbers I used when posting on Shealy.

All you have to do is eyeball the regular and equivalent projections on any PECOTA card for say, a Rockie vs. a Padre, to get a feel for things.

Under normal circumstances, he would have been a full-time major leaguer at age 25, after putting up a ~1.000 OPS at age 24 in AA (in a slight pitcher's park in Tulsa, BTW).

Give me a break. Then why hasn't any other team traded for the next Derek Lee, Travis Hafner, Richie Sexson? Your Cubbies were looking at Conine and Millar this season when Lee went down. Why not Shealy? Please don't tell me the price of Rich Hill was too much? Geez, the Rockies are only asking for a prospect on par with the immortal Corwin Malone or Preston Larrison's of the world.

Give me a break. Then why hasn't any other team traded for the next Derek Lee, Travis Hafner, Richie Sexson? Your Cubbies were looking at Conine and Millar this season when Lee went down. Why not Shealy? Please don't tell me the price of Rich Hill was too much? Geez, the Rockies are only asking for a prospect on par with the immortal Corwin Malone or Preston Larrison's of the world.

I strongly suspect that Shealy was a guy the Cubs inquired about after Lee got hurt. Now why a deal was not consummated, neither of us will ever know.

Heck, one of these recent articles mentioned that the Cubs just recently made another push for Shealy, and that's even with Lee being back.

Well, I hate to state teh obvious... but they want a stud prospect in return... someone better than Rich Hill...

A dark-horse, a player that could interest the O's if the Shealy deal falls thru is the Dodgers' James Loney.

James Loney had potential star player written all over him a few seasons ago before injuries (IIRC) and inconsistant play hurt his stock dramatically. But he is back very strong at AAA for them this season and may have a much higher ceiling at 1B than Shealy. This kid is only 22! Bigger risk? Probably. Bigger reward? One can only hope we find out. He is an interesting prospect.

Thoughts?

Archived