Wash Post: O's considering tejada trade

JakeeO

It very well could be a problem again, though who didn't see it coming with the moves made, and not made over the winter?

NOT made pretty much describes the winter.

I'm surprised he started the season. I thought he'd be gone.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually, this was the best part...The other day we heard they wanted a major league hitter.

This tells me Santana, Wood and Kotchman or Morales gets it done.

Neither Kotchman Wood or Morales have proven they're Major League hitters yet.

I'm not sure Brandon Wood's even proved he's a good minor league fielder. He's already got 17 errors in about 55 games.And he's fanned about 95 times in roughly 280 at-bats. Of course their infields may have the consistency of the surface of the Moon, but 17 is a lot of errors.And though he has power (15-49), that's a lot of strikeouts, too.

Listening to Mike & Mike this morning, Greenburg and Buster Olney made a valid point about this statement:

Several team sources said they have noticed Tejada sulking some of late, perhaps stemming from his name being linked to the investigation into an affidavit from former Oriole Jason Grimsley, which appears to link several of his ex-teammates to the use of amphetamines and perhaps other substances. (The names in the affidavit have been redacted.) Since it became public on June 7, Tejada is hitting just .236 (17 for 72).

Can someone tell me where Tejada's name has been linked to the Grimsley affadavit? Before reading this article, I haven't seen or heard anything definitive other than rumors and whispers. The way Arangure worded his article, he makes it sound like Tejada has definitely been linked to the affadavit.

Does Arangure know something that no one else does? And if so, why isn't that the lead point in his article? Or is he (more likely, IMO) talking out of his rear end? One has to wonder.

All that said, the tardiness and insubordination (refusing to pay fines) should not and can not be tolerated. Suspend him, trade him, or both.

I know a lot of people don't want to him, thinking it would signal throwing up the "white flag" to surrender the season. I disagree. There are quite a few examples of late where a team gives up a "superstar", and in turn get a lot better. Think Ken Griffey leaving seattle, Think Nomar leaving the Red Sox. Now granted, this would all be dependent on who was gotten in return. And I know there are many naysayers that doubt if the current front office is capable of pulling this off. But, getting another pitcher allows the team to trade from strength ( abundence of "prospect" arms), to address other weaknesses. I think this could be the best move in a long time, if done properly. And no, i'm not going to propose who should be included, I'll leave that for Sports guy, he's the pro at that!

One would think that the trading of Miggy has just recently come up in the front office. All signs pointed to them keeping him, the signing of Melvin being the biggest. IMHO Miigy's Attitude has gotten worse over the past several weeks and maybe even more so in the clubhouse. Pretty much any of us see is his on field attitude, and according to some here it has not been very good. So the Grimsley thing may have so legs to it:confused: , I guess we wont know that one till all the names are released. And maybe the FO has been given some info that has not been released about that case and has made them revisit some trades:confused: One thing is for sure something(s) has happened the past several weeks to make the FO to rethink about trading Miggy. To be honest, one way or anouther it does not matter to me. With or with out Miggy I just wanna see the O's return to power in the AL east.

Well hell. If they trade Miggy who plays SS? I do not want to see Tejada traded. Trading Tejada would be a bad plan IMO. The FO needs to be smart. Try to build around Miggy. Seems to me a lot of fans are making him the scape goat for the losing ways of this team. This team has been bad for 9 years. It is not Tejada that is to blame. It is the idiotic way the owner does his baseball business. If hte team does trade Tejada and the palyers they get back in return don't work out then this team will be worse yet.

Listening to Mike & Mike this morning, Greenburg and Buster Olney made a valid point about this statement:

Can someone tell me where Tejada's name has been linked to the Grimsley affadavit? Before reading this article, I haven't seen or heard anything definitive other than rumors and whispers. The way Arangure worded his article, he makes it sound like Tejada has definitely been linked to the affadavit.

Does Arangure know something that no one else does? And if so, why isn't that the lead point in his article? Or is he (more likely, IMO) talking out of his rear end? One has to wonder.

All that said, the tardiness and insubordination (refusing to pay fines) should not and can not be tolerated. Suspend him, trade him, or both.

The word introducing that information is PERHAPS.... which in my opinion is his way of commenting on what might be the problem... not reflecting on what has been revealed is the problem...

I would have been against trading Miggy a few weeks ago. With so much time left on his contract, I wanted to see if Flanny and the Duke could build something decent before he left. Besides, an Oriole lineup without him in it might only attract 14,000 fans a night. Oh...never mind.

I've watched him in person several times since then and he can't throw, has no range, and walks out his ground balls. The next step will be for him to hit the ball to the shortstop and walk directly back to the dugout from home plate.

If a decent offer comes, we need to trade him. If we wait until after the blowup/indictment/suspension/3 month slump, we're screwed.

Well hell. If they trade Miggy who plays SS? I do not want to see Tejada traded. Trading Tejada would be a bad plan IMO. The FO needs to be smart. Try to build around Miggy. Seems to me a lot of fans are making him the scape goat for the losing ways of this team. This team has been bad for 9 years. It is not Tejada that is to blame. It is the idiotic way the owner does his baseball business. If hte team does trade Tejada and the palyers they get back in return don't work out then this team will be worse yet.

I agree! Good post.

I agree! Good post.

If Miggy was a true leader like Cal, I would agree... but as has already been mentioned.. his attitude suffers, he doesn't hustle, and there are those who question his ability to play SS respectably....

If Miggy was a true leader like Cal, I would agree... but as has already been mentioned.. his attitude suffers, he doesn't hustle, and there are those who question his ability to play SS respectably....

There were bad things said about Cal, remember? How he was putting the streak before his team, staying at seperate hotels, etc.

The press loves a scapegoat.

Mora signed a contract extension, correct? He doesn't start to get big money until next year. Does this also mean that his notrade clause does not kick in until next year?

I'm not sure how things work with a NTC. I do know that at the dinner with Mike Flanagan, it was noted that one of the holdups to the Mora extension was just that fact. His agent was concerned about the NTC not going active 'til next year -- and that the Orioles would deal him this year (with no NTC in effect). I don't know if there's some sort of paperwork that can be filed to insure (for the player) that a NTC includes this current year. :confused:

Actually, this was the best part...The other day we heard they wanted a major league hitter.

This tells me Santana, Wood and Kotchman or Morales gets it done.

Maybe, maybe not. It takes two to tango -- do the Angels really want Miggy? And, are they willing to give up that package of players?

Tejada is out of control, and he is a powderkeg waiting to go off. He's late for games, and refuses to pay the fines levied against him. It sounds like he is making up his own rules, and the Orioles refuse to call him on it.

For the good of the team, discipline him by sitting him for at least a game right NOW.

So you don't care if your "supposed" main team leader is tardy or ignores fines imposed by his employer?

Personally, I would expect more. Like I said during the off-season, he is not the special player that I thought he was...he sure seems to lack maturity to me.

Not that I'm defending Miggy "ignoring" fines for tardiness, but remember this quote too:

The source said it was possible team officials had not pushed Tejada to pay the fines or disciplined Tejada publicly because they did not want to risk alienating him or hurting his trade value.

Yeah, Miggy may be ignoring fines. But the Orioles are just as complicit in sweeping this under the rug as Tejada is.

I am even more unhappy with Sam Perlozzo in regards to this than I am with any ridiculous bullpen move or sitting Markakis against lefty pitchers. A manager has to manage his team -- on and off the field. If Tejada has been tardy multiple times this season, his "streak" should be interrupted. I'm very disappointed -- Sam is not the disciplinarian or baseball fundamentals guy that I thought he was. :(

Witchy

If this team demonstrated a realistic plan to improve sometime within his lifetime, Tejada's attitude might change.

If he's involved w/illegal substances, than all bets are off and you're probably better trading him.But if they start making real improvements now-a major trade that beings in a top dog player, you might see his attitude improve.

Archived