Are you worried about MD getting tired?

Sports Guy

As a Duke fan, one of my worries heading into March is fatique, especially with Scheyer and Singler. This has hurt Duke in the past and with them having their big 3 play so many minutes, even with them being in great shape, at some point they start to lose their legs.

Is this something that worries you guys about the Terps?

While they have been winning, MD will end the year with a stretch where they played 3 games in 5 days, a double OT game and a very emotional(win or lose) game against Duke...and that is all before the ACC tourney where they could win multiple games in consecutive days.

So, going into the tourney, is fatique something you are worried about?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now granted, I lurked around for a year or two before I started posting, but wow. Just wow. One of my most respected posters is a Duke fan. I feel so unsatisfied to quote a favorite movie of mine. Did you go to Duke SG?

However, I do agree that I'm worried about the Terps. The emotional and physical toll of so many draining victories has got to have some sort of cumulative effect. I'm just hoping we can still manage to beat Duke this week. I've gotta say that we're solidly the second best team in the ACC.....even in a down year that's impressive.

Not one single bit. They are 20 year olds, not old men. They are only a few years removed from playing AAU ball which sometimes has them playing 2 or 3 games in a day. I think you worry more about something like that in the NBA with veteran players and all of the travel.

I have heard this 20- y/o stuff in the past but that is only so valid.

As I said, Duke has had this issue and they are always one of the best conditioned teams in the country.

A few years ago, Scheyer did a conditioning test and the results of the test had him at Lance Armstrong levels of conditioning...But still, he logged a lot of minutes and by the end of the year, his shooting was going down...Hitting front of rims more, etc...

I didn't get to see the MD game last night but Vazquez missed 20 shots...Was that a bad night or is he tiring?

Vasquez isn't a great shooter to begin with, but he played a lot of minutes and took a lot of shots. Add that to the fact that his shot selection isn't the best at times, and that leads to missing quite a few shots. I do think this schedule combined with the way these last few games have played out has got to effect any college team.

That being said, he carried our team last night, and we would be a bubble team at best this year without him. I'm warming somewhat towards Vasquez, even though he drives me crazy sometimes.

Vasquez isn't a great shooter to begin with, but he played a lot of minutes and took a lot of shots. Add that to the fact that his shot selection isn't the best at times, and that leads to missing quite a few shots. I do think this schedule combined with the way these last few games have played out has got to effect any college team.

That being said, he carried our team last night, and we would be a bubble team at best this year without him. I'm warming somewhat towards Vasquez, even though he drives me crazy sometimes.

Sorry, but I really don't understand how any Maryland fan could be "warming" to Vasquez at this point. I really don't think it's possible to be a Maryland fan and not recognize him as one of the best players ever to put on a Maryland uniform and a guy who gave everything he had every single night for the University. If it takes a 41 point night to begin "warming" to him, then something is wrong.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I really cannot fathom Maryland fans that don't recognize his importance and greatness.

Sorry, but I really don't understand how any Maryland fan could be "warming" to Vasquez at this point. I really don't think it's possible to be a Maryland fan and not recognize him as one of the best players ever to put on a Maryland uniform and a guy who gave everything he had every single night for the University. If it takes a 41 point night to begin "warming" to him, then something is wrong.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I really cannot fathom Maryland fans that don't recognize his importance and greatness.

Totally agree with you on this one. Vasquez is awfully close to being a top 5 Terp of all time depending on how far he takes us in the tourney.

I am worried about the team getting tired. Sure, they're college kids, but they're also human. This run has had to have taken its toll on them. Luckily, they have 3 days rest before duke and 3 more days before UVA. I think they'll be ok in the end. They have always played off of emotion anyways.

I generally do not like cocky and arrogant acting players. I'm sorry, I hate the whole "shake" move that he does when he hits a shot, etc. He's a very good player that we are lucky to have. Without him, I think we'd have been lucky to make the tournament this year. I'd like to see him carry us to a victory against Duke!

Look, we all have our favorite players, etc. I respect the fact that he has carried our team on many nights this year. I'm just not a huge fan of his.....sorry. I still happen to think he's overrated as a player as well.

Totally agree with you on this one. Vasquez is awfully close to being a top 5 Terp of all time depending on how far he takes us in the tourney.

Don't know about all that...he deserves to have his number retired...but top 5? Not quite.

I realize I have to tread lightly here, but from an outsider's perspective, I'd take Vazquez over Juan Dixon 100 times out of 100. Unless you just mean as far as contributions to the team, clearly Dixon would have the advantage with two Final Fours and a National Title..But if I'm playing a pick up game, and choosing teams, I'm taking Vazquez every time. Nothing against Dixon, mind you, I enjoyed his career and think the world of the guy as a player. Top 5 Terps I've seen:

1-Bias

2-Buck Williams

3-Francis

4-Vazquez

5-Walt Williams

2,376-Kelly Hite

I love watching Vazquez play, though I stand by my statement that if he played for Duke, Terps fans would treat him like a cross between Hines Ward and Dustin Pedroia.

As for the main topic of this thread, I think Rob should be worried about Duke wearing down (since they seem to every year, though are deeper than the last few years), but I don't see Maryland having that problem.

I was a big Joe Smith fan but Vasquez has been a more valuable player and a better player for MD. His stats speak for themselves. I would also put him in front of Lucas or at least even with him. Only Dixon and Bias were clearly better IMO. I think you're evaluating him more as an NBA talent rather than based on his contribution while at MD. That is a reasonable thing to discuss but I don't think it belongs in this particular discussion. Just my 2 cents...

Joe Smith won the Naismith...1st team All American, and ACC POY all in one year.

John Lucas was the only two time 1st team All American in MD history....

Joe Smith is getting the shaft around here. Nutty.

Smith average 20 and 11 for his Freshman and Sophomore years!

I consider Vasquez to be pretty Walt Williams-like. Which puts him behind:

Bias

Smith

Dixon

Lucas

Buck Williams

And just ahead of Adrian Branch.

I like GV, and am glad he's having a fine year. But his shooting numbers for his career are pretty poor, and he was very turnover prone for much of his career.

Joe Smith is getting the shaft around here. Nutty.

Smith average 20 and 11 for his Freshman and Sophomore years!

I consider Vasquez to be pretty Walt Williams-like. Which puts him behind:

Bias

Smith

Dixon

Lucas

Buck Williams

And just ahead of Adrian Branch.

I like GV, and am glad he's having a fine year. But his shooting numbers for his career are pretty poor, and he was very turnover prone for much of his career.

John Lucas had Tom McMillen and Len Elmore as teammates..

Juan Dixon had 3 NBA draft picks as teammates.

Has Vazquez had one teammate who wouldn't have sat on the end of the bench on those teams?

Archived