Butler and Duke to Square Off for NCAA Men's Basketball Championship

Don Quixote

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The refs were, well, I hate referees. Not going to say the refs benefited this team or that team but before I go to sleep and when I wake up tomorrow; the only thing I’ll remember is the charge that should have been an and 1 for Gordon Hayward. Butler lost by 2 and it’s easy for one to zone in only on that play.

It happens every game - a missed call, the wrong call, a non call; unfortunately for Butler it happened in the National Championship. There were calls that didn’t go Duke’s way either. Butler still had their chances and I was rooting with every ounce of energy for them to win the NCAA Championship.

It's honestly hilarious. No honest impartial fan could say Duke was the beneficiary of the officiating in this game. They called a lot more ticky tac fouls on Duke than Butler - suew that one play was in Duke's favor, but if you think Duke won because of the refs, you are nuts. I find it interesting how MD basketball fans believe every Duke win is a result of poor officiating. It's simply not the case.

No, not talking to you O's are Legends - just most MD fans I know in general always attribute nearly every close Duke win to officiating. No idea if you are a MD fan or not, so wasn't taking a jab at you. But listening to people say over and over that Duke wins because of officiating just gets a bit ridiculous after a while.

No, not talking to you O's are Legends - just most MD fans I know in general always attribute nearly every close Duke win to officiating. No idea if you are a MD fan or not, so wasn't taking a jab at you. But listening to people say over and over that Duke wins because of officiating just gets a bit ridiculous after a while.

You can ignore those two calls if you want. It's all good. They happened, though. They were wrong. And they effected the outcome of the game.

You can ignore those two calls if you want. It's all good. They happened, though. They were wrong. And they effected the outcome of the game.

So did about 5-10 non calls on Butler that also impacted the game. Butler was allowed to play much more physically defensively than Duke was. Anyway, no point arguing, its opening day tomorrow. Gotta get some rest.

Got ya. I thought I was pretty clear and neutral in my post. I hate refs because I have managed in sports and have had to deal with a lot of things behind the scenes and on the court, field etc.. I see how that may of made it sound as if I was blaming the refs; how the heck did you get a Terp fan from all of this?

Please don’t ever call me a MD fan.:D George Mason and Georgetown all the way! I actually hate the Terps with a passion for many reasons.

Opening day for the O’s! Sounds good BirdsO8.

Just to comment on the officiating...

I am a Duke-loather and think they get the benefit on a lot of calls.

That being said, I thought the game was officiated very fairly. They were "letting them play" and they stuck with it pretty much the whole game. I thought there were fouls not called on both sides and the game was really physical. Truly, it reminded me of an NBA playoff game in that regard.

Just to comment on the officiating...

I am a Duke-loather and think they get the benefit on a lot of calls.

That being said, I thought the game was officiated very fairly. They were "letting them play" and they stuck with it pretty much the whole game. I thought there were fouls not called on both sides and the game was really physical. Truly, it reminded me of an NBA playoff game in that regard.

Agreed 100% with this post. Anyone who blames the refs (not saying anyone has one here or hasn't, I haven't read the whole thread) is really reaching here.

Agreed 100% with this post. Anyone who blames the refs (not saying anyone has one here or hasn't, I haven't read the whole thread) is really reaching here.

I think you can "blame the refs" in the sense that the most important call of the whole game was blown, and since it took two points off the board late in a game that was decided by two points, it did have an effect on the outcome.

However, I would never consider blaming the refs or that one call for the loss. Both teams had questionable calls go both ways, and I think the officiating was at least even. Both teams had their chances to make shots that weren't made, and I think Butler's over-focus on fouling out Zoubek hurt their chances late.

So although that call had an impact, it, nor the officials in general, were more than a small factor in the outcome.

I think you can "blame the refs" in the sense that the most important call of the whole game was blown, and since it took two points off the board late in a game that was decided by two points, it did have an effect on the outcome.

However, I would never consider blaming the refs or that one call for the loss. Both teams had questionable calls go both ways, and I think the officiating was at least even. Both teams had their chances to make shots that weren't made, and I think Butler's over-focus on fouling out Zoubek hurt their chances late.

So although that call had an impact, it, nor the officials in general, were more than a small factor in the outcome.

Great point. Hayward seemed on a mission to get Zoubek out of that game.

Your analysis is spot on. Calls went both ways, imagine IF the last shot would've gone in but they called an illegal screen on Howard, who almost killed Singler.

Great point. Hayward seemed on a mission to get Zoubek out of that game.

Your analysis is spot on. Calls went both ways, imagine IF the last shot would've gone in but they called an illegal screen on Howard, who almost killed Singler.

The officials would have been eviscerated if they had called that and the shot dropped. Not even the NCAA would have been able to save them from the media.

The officials would have been eviscerated if they had called that and the shot dropped. Not even the NCAA would have been able to save them from the media.

But it would have been the right call. Much like the Michigan St/New Mexico State game and that lane violation..right call, but not the time to make it.

Archived