Being an Orioles fan has taken its toll on me

Diehard_O's_Fan

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
After following the Orioles the last 13 years and seeing them experience heart breaking loses after another' date=' I am going to stop following them as much. The season has barely started and am allready sick and tired of seeing them lose. Not only do they lose but they lose in heart breaking fashion.

I have wasted too much of my life following this team. It is time to stop following them as much and move on with my life. Life is too short to waste it following sports especially a losing baseball team.

Andrew,[/quote']

Thanks for the public announcement. I was just wondering about the state of your fanhood.

I want you to show one post that suggested otherwise. From anyone.

Nevermind.... you win, "Best Fan."

Just cut the guy some slack, jeez. I'm done with you. If you can do as well in life as you can in "winning" strawman arguments on the internet, maybe you'll own this team one day. Have a great life.

Just cut the guy some slack, jeez. I'm done with you. If you can do as well in life as you can in "winning" strawman arguments on the internet, maybe you'll own this team one day. Have a great life.

Welcome to the Hangout... you might want to choose a different poster to question their fandom than BT.

You're the one arguing with me over this, and you made a statement that you obviously can't back up.

If you don't want to argue anything, that's fine. Just don't respond. And if it makes you feel better to make those declarations, that's all on you. I'm no better a fan than any other actual fan, but it's a shame that you can't figure out who those people are.

Welcome to the Hangout... you might want to choose a different poster to question their fandom than BT.

That's the thing.... I wouldn't question another's fandom. I also wouldn't call you a moron either. We are all pissed and we all deal with it differently. This argument will be around until this team starts winning again and unfortunately, I don't see that in the near future..... I hope I'm wrong though.

You're the one arguing with me over this, and you made a statement that you obviously can't back up.

If you don't want to argue anything, that's fine. Just don't respond. And if it makes you feel better to make those declarations, that's all on you. I'm no better a fan than any other actual fan, but it's a shame that you can't figure out who those people are.

It is such a shame.

That's the thing.... I wouldn't question another's fandom. I also wouldn't call you a moron either. We are all pissed and we all deal with it differently. This argument will be around until this team starts winning again and unfortunately, I don't see that in the near future..... I hope I'm wrong though.

Fair enough.

And by the way... I AM a moron... just a faithful moron.

After following the Orioles the last 13 years and seeing them experience heart breaking loses after another' date=' I am going to stop following them as much. The season has barely started and am allready sick and tired of seeing them lose. Not only do they lose but they lose in heart breaking fashion.

I have wasted too much of my life following this team. It is time to stop following them as much and move on with my life. Life is too short to waste it following sports especially a losing baseball team.

Andrew,[/quote']

Dear Diehard_O's_Fan,

oxymoron - n - a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly" or "I'm a diehard O's fan and I'm going to stop following them and move on with my life."

Sincerely,

Scott Hoffman, Managing Editor

www.OriolesHangout.com

:D

We are all pissed and we all deal with it differently.

We're all disappointed. As for dealing with it differently, you bet. Personally, I stand by the team even when things are hard. While I respect that people have every right to call themselves a fan, and then bail out and start whining when things get hard, it doesn't mean I respect that. I don't respect that, not one bit. To borrow a word that SG uses a lot, I think it's pathetic and I'm surprised people aren't embarrassed to act that way.

I also don't appreciate it when the whiners come out in force and make a mockery of this place as a fan site. Whenever the team loses a few in a row, one thing you can count on is a bunch of lame so-called fans clogging up this place with lots of posts yelling about how it's all this-person's fault or that-person's fault, and then they start whining about how their poor widdle emotions are oh-so-damaged and they just can't take it anymore. Well, don't let the door hit you in your candy-ass on the way out...

Now, this will no doubt trigger some responses from people claiming that I think I'm a better fan than they are. Well, you're right, I am a better fan than those who give up after just a handful of games... and, no, I have zero sympathy for you when you act like that. I think maybe you need a less taxing sport to follow, like maybe badminton. Baseball's not for sissies.

A couple thoughts on the OP...

1) Following a sports team should be fun and bring enjoyment. Of course there are going to be times when you're frustrated or upset or heart-broken. But, overall, you should get more joy than frustration.

2) Using phrases like "life is too short" and "move on with my life" makes me think that you do need to re-evaluate the priority you've stamped on the O's. I don't think you should ever feel like it's becoming a chore.

All in all, I can't blame you for feeling the frustration at all. It's been a LONG dry spell. However, if you keep Orioles baseball in perspective, it can still be enjoyable!

Archived