Being an Orioles fan has taken its toll on me

Diehard_O's_Fan

Because I don't have 20,000+ posts that makes me not a devoted fan?? Oh wait, no that means I actually have a life and don't post on message boards every hour of the day and look at star wars youtube clips or whatever the heck you do on the computer for 90 hours.

I've followed more sports and devoted more time than you can dream about. I've been a writer, am a varsity coach and have been an athlete my entire life even in college.

However, as this thread was intentially created for people are done believing in a team and putting their heart and soul into when all they do is get crushed every single time. That doesn't make them LESS of a fan, it means they are fed up with what this organization pushes as a product. Don't get mad at the fans who are upset about - get upset with the owner and the group that has embarrased the area for the past 13 years.

I used to go to Camden Yards every single year as a child from Pennsylvania. Now there's no desire to go anymore because (1)we'll lose (2)there's more fans from the other teams than ours.

Now either you can blindly cheer and continue to accept losing or fight back and demand change. Sorry I don't like losing and that's the way I live my life...if you don't then I don't know what to tell you

I am still laughing at this while I type..... Star Wars humor always plays well.:laughlol:

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because I don't have 20,000+ posts that makes me not a devoted fan?? Oh wait, no that means I actually have a life and don't post on message boards every hour of the day and look at star wars youtube clips or whatever the heck you do on the computer for 90 hours.

I've followed more sports and devoted more time than you can dream about. I've been a writer, am a varsity coach and have been an athlete my entire life even in college.

However, as this thread was intentially created for people are done believing in a team and putting their heart and soul into when all they do is get crushed every single time. That doesn't make them LESS of a fan, it means they are fed up with what this organization pushes as a product. Don't get mad at the fans who are upset about - get upset with the owner and the group that has embarrased the area for the past 13 years.

I used to go to Camden Yards every single year as a child from Pennsylvania. Now there's no desire to go anymore because (1)we'll lose (2)there's more fans from the other teams than ours.

Now either you can blindly cheer and continue to accept losing or fight back and demand change. Sorry I don't like losing and that's the way I live my life...if you don't then I don't know what to tell you

Wow. I actually was referring to almost the EXACT OPPOSITE of what started your rambling jumble of words there. But based on the rest, explaining it isn't worth the trouble since you'll likely misread that and insult me further.

I'll just say that I hope you don't act that way in all of that real life you're trying to lord over me, because I guarantee it's all a lie if so.

I’ve tried getting away from this team, really I did. I also went to that protest a few years ago. I didn’t want to watch anymore and tried to stop following them through the internet or the paper. That lasted about a week.

They’re just ingrained in me and it doesn’t look like that is going to change anytime soon. I still try and plan my nights around Orioles baseball. I will say, it’s a lot easier to get distracted when the Ravens are in the preseason.

I much as I would like to tell everyone in the warehouse that their baseball team is awful, any change I would recommend would look a lot like the team does now. I’d want a young, talented ballclub built to potentially compete in the near future. I also want some parts that aren’t here now (Adam Dunn types) but we got a little ways to go before it’s the right time to add those pieces. I’d really like to ruin Angelos’ pasta dinner at Sabatinos one night with a piece of my mind but the solution I would provide him is mostly already here. That’s what makes this tough for me.

It’s a lot easier to deal with a September swoon than it is to deal with it in April. It just isn’t supposed to happen at the beginning of the year. We’re supposed to be blind to the reality that we are a 4th place team in the first couple of months of the season. This is just gut wrenching for me right now. I know we’ll get better but it just isn’t any fun to be deflated about the Orioles before the Preakness.

I am growing a little bit concerned about Trembley. Continual baserunning issues are a lack of focus and I don’t think that bodes well for him. I’m not going to fire a manager because his players can’t figure out how to run the bases properly but I think it could be a sign of something a little bit deeper. I hope not because I really like him.

I also am concerned about some of these player interviews. Yes, I know they are just lip service and you really shouldn’t pay them much attention. I don’t know, these guys seem to have an ingrained ability to give the never give up speech like they are reciting their social security number. Sometimes I’d just like to see something a little more passionate instead of hanging their heads with ease at their lockers. All of that means nothing and a little more piss and vinegar isn't going to win the Wild Card. I’d just like to see someone get a little out of character once in a while.

I’ve tried getting away from this team, really I did. I also went to that protest a few years ago. I didn’t want to watch anymore and tried to stop following them through the internet or the paper. That lasted about a week.

They’re just ingrained in me and it doesn’t look like that is going to change anytime soon. I still try and plan my nights around Orioles baseball. I will say, it’s a lot easier to get distracted when the Ravens are in the preseason.

I much as I would like to tell everyone in the warehouse that their baseball team is awful, any change I would recommend would look a lot like the team does now. I’d want a young, talented ballclub built to potentially compete in the near future. I also want some parts that aren’t here now (Adam Dunn types) but we got a little ways to go before it’s the right time to add those pieces. I’d really like to ruin Angelos’ pasta dinner at Sabatinos one night with a piece of my mind but the solution I would provide him is mostly already here. That’s what makes this tough for me.

It’s a lot easier to deal with a September swoon than it is to deal with it in April. It just isn’t supposed to happen at the beginning of the year. We’re supposed to be blind to the reality that we are a 4th place team in the first couple of months of the season. This is just gut wrenching for me right now. I know we’ll get better but it just isn’t any fun to be deflated about the Orioles before the Preakness.

I am growing a little bit concerned about Trembley. Continual baserunning issues are a lack of focus and I don’t think that bodes well for him. I’m not going to fire a manager because his players can’t figure out how to run the bases properly but I think it could be a sign of something a little bit deeper. I hope not because I really like him.

I also am concerned about some of these player interviews. Yes, I know they are just lip service and you really shouldn’t pay them much attention. I don’t know, these guys seem to have an ingrained ability to give the never give up speech like they are reciting their social security number. Sometimes I’d just like to see something a little more passionate instead of hanging their heads with ease at their lockers. All of that means nothing and a little more piss and vinegar is going to win the Wild Card. I’d just like to see someone get a little out of character once in a while.

I agree with all of that. If I could change the team, I would make it look pretty similar. I don't like our SS/1B situation, but we didn't have the opportunity to add impact players there, and we will as the rest of the guys progress.

I would watch them as intently if they ended up 0-162...

Every year I'm overly optimistic, thinking for once that the O's will overachieve. Every year some other stinky team seems to overachieve and do well, but not the O's. Every year the O's find a way to lose and lose and lose. Every year I'm embarrassed. Every year my friends that are Yankee, Red Sox and Phillies fans trash-talk the O's, and invite me to switch loyalties. There's no one around to light a fire and spark this team. Today I was at the Phillies home opener and saw a team that can really hit, put up the runs, pitch, and play to a high level of ball. They don't panic, press, choke, or get overwhelmed when men are on base and in scoring position. They simply produce as if they expect it. I plan on going out to St. Louis, Tampa Bay and Miami for ballgames this summer, and I expect to see a higher caliber of baseball from those teams than I do from the O's. And to top off my frustration, I've already complained about the Scalp Free Zone being eliminated, and that will keep me away from games I would have otherwise gone to. I thank Peter Angelos for single-handedly destroying one of the best baseball teams in major league history. This is going to be a very long season...

I support this post 100 percent. Many of the folks here seem fine with the status quo. It's almost as if some think their post counts will be reduced if they say ANYTHING negative about the O's. I can tell you just by living life that posts on a message board are not an accurate account of one's fandom.

This is a bad team right now which pretty much sums up the team for the past 13 years. Am I supposed to be happy about this? No, or course not and neither should you. Is it wrong to posts one's feelings (good or bad) towards their team not acceptable here? Again, it's perfectly fine to do so. The problem is when you post negative opinions regarding the O's here you get crucified by many here. Sometimes when the baby is ugly, it's just ugly and you have to call it like it is.

The O's will always be my favorite team. I support them by spending my hard earned money to watch their games. I guess it's much like a restaurant. When you get bad service you should complain.

I support this post 100 percent. Many of the folks here seem fine with the status quo. It's almost as if some think their post counts will be reduced if they say ANYTHING negative about the O's. I can tell you just by living life that posts on a message board are not an accurate account of one's fandom.

This is a bad team right now which pretty much sums up the team for the past 13 years now. Am I supposed to be happy about this? No, or course not and neither should you. Is it wrong to posts one's feelings (good or bad) towards their team not acceptable here? Again, it's perfectly fine to do so. The problem is when you post negative opinions regarding the O's here you get crucified by many here. Sometimes when the baby is ugly, it's just ugly and you have to call it like it is.

Like I said earlier the O's will always be my favorite team. I support them by spending my hard earned money to watch their games. I guess it's much like a restaurant. When you get bad service you should complain.

Agreed.

Pissed off fans are passionate. They'll sometimes declare themselves "done with this team" yada yada yada, but if they were really done, they wouldn't bother posting here or even watching the games.

The holier than thou attitudes don't serve to do anything besides further the anger. You don't get upset? Good for you. I do. If you don't like me expressing my anger, ignore me.

I throw remote controls and break them b/c this team pisses me off all the time. I've even kicked the arm halfway off my sofa. Maybe I've got anger issues, but that's for another thread. :laughlol:

For anyone to judge another's fandom based on an emotional reaction to horrific play is silly. This is a place to vent, with hundreds of others who are venting. If you don't want to join in, good for you. But don't judge me because I probably care a little more than I should.

Agreed.

Pissed off fans are passionate. They'll sometimes declare themselves "done with this team" yada yada yada, but if they were really done, they wouldn't bother posting here or even watching the games.

The holier than thou attitudes don't serve to do anything besides further the anger. You don't get upset? Good for you. I do. If you don't like me expressing my anger, ignore me.

I throw remote controls and break them b/c this team pisses me off all the time. I've even kicked the arm halfway off my sofa. Maybe I've got anger issues, but that's for another thread. :laughlol:

For anyone to judge another's fandom based on an emotional reaction to horrific play is silly. This is a place to vent, with hundreds of others who are venting. If you don't want to join in, good for you. But don't judge me because I probably care a little more than I should.

I've been there too my friend. What time is our anger management appointment this week? :laughlol:

Also, you have over 20K posts so how dare you agree with me. Expect to see your post count reduced by at least 5K come tomorrow.

I'm pissed off. I'm sick of losing and looking forward to next year only to rinse, wash and repeat. For those of you saying the O's don't have the money to compete, I call bull***. They have the money, it's just being deposited into the bank daily by Mr. Angelos. It's a shame what he has done to this once proud franchise. Maybe, just maybe he can learn how to be a great owner. Perhaps Mr. Leonsis can be his mentor. :)

This is a bad team right now which pretty much sums up the team for the past 13 years. Am I supposed to be happy about this? No, or course not and neither should you. Is it wrong to posts one's feelings (good or bad) towards their team not acceptable here? Again, it's perfectly fine to do so. The problem is when you post negative opinions regarding the O's here you get crucified by many here. Sometimes when the baby is ugly, it's just ugly and you have to call it like it is.

The O's will always be my favorite team. I support them by spending my hard earned money to watch their games. I guess it's much like a restaurant. When you get bad service you should complain.

Bravo.

I believe some folks here really don't understand how angry the general Orioles fanbase (what's left of them) is right now. Its like a few guys here and there get snarky and throw around fancy sounding initial-based statistics and say that those numbers show that we will improve.

When are we going to improve? How can we improve when we continue to take piecemeal steps towards respectability? This "plan" simply isn't working. We still need pitching. A big bat in the middle of the lineup. And decent bench players for infield positions.

Message boards rarely capture the general mood of a fanbase, just the most vocal, passionate and hardcore believers. When you're dealing with that crowd (and I consider myself a part of that population) you're going to get extreme attitudes, nasty arguments and a lot of chest pounding because you need a massive ego and a lot of chutzpah to get online and argue about a baseball franchise that you don't own nor have stock options with.

I don't see how anyone can look at what's going on and still believe that "we need to keep the faith." How much faith? Some folks seem to believe that we need to keep waiting and then the team will magically get better over time. I find that a very strange way to think in the face of such overwhelming evidence that this team is in serious trouble.

MSK

Archived