Trembley to be fired today?

Pedro Cerrano

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I hope that everybody who keeps talking up Cal for manager realizes the ramifications.

He could never be fired. Never. He's Cal Freakin' Ripken. He'd be manager for life, or for as long as he wanted the job.

So when anything goes wrong -- when, for example, a bunch of injuries and major disappointments turn the O's into a .300 team -- you'll have to look for a solution besides sacking the manager.

It might even be necessary to admit that maybe the manager isn't that important in the overall miasma of failure.

Just a thought.

It's an interesting argument, but I can't say I agree 100% that ownership could never fire Cal Jr. They took a similar PR risk when they fired Cal Sr. Not only was Senior a fixture around the O's for decades at that point, but his son was one of the best players in baseball - in some ways, firing Sr. was a bigger risk than firing Junior would be. If Cal's a lousy manager, OK, we've possibly burned bridges with him; but when his Dad was fired, they potentially alienated his son, a top player then in his prime.

Plus they fired Frank Robinson, another Oriole icon. Not in Cal Mr. Oriole Ripken's class, but not far away, either. No one is immune from the ax if the team doesn't respond to him. Personally, I'd rather see Jim Palmer named manager than Cal! Cal's way too diplomatic - Jim would probably get punched out by his own pitching staff for his endless (but constructive!) criticism! But we know Double Deuce would be even less interested than Junior...

Roch

The rumblings are become more intense at this late hour that Dave Trembley has been notified, or will be told early tomorrow morning, that he's been replaced as Orioles manager.

I can't get confirmation from the Orioles, but look for an announcement in the morning. It won't drag out much longer.

Third base coach Juan Samuel is expected to take over on an interim basis, which also has been widely speculated.

Didn't i just say he works for the baltimore orioles. didn't i just say that it's not my brothers friend. it's my friends brother

Listen, I believe he is going to be fired and it may have already happened. I just don't like when someone posts something as gospel when it is second hand.

Now if you were in the warehouse and you knew for a fact that this was a done deal I would have felt better about the thread you started.

Again, I'm glad you posted what you heard I just don't think it should had been written in such definte terms

From The Sun

http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/2010/06/no_official_word_on_trembley_b.html

According to my colleague Dan Connolly, Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail was at the warehouse tonight until about 10 p.m., after the team arrived home from New York about an hour earlier.

I think we all know what's going - or more appropriately what went on - here, but by now, we can wait for the Orioles to make the official announcement on Trembley's status probably by tomorrow.

MacPhail wasn't with the club in New York and it's not normal for him to meet the club when it returns home from a road trip.

Well, we all knew that a change had to be made.

And what did we get? A third-base coach who can't do things like, "remember the number of outs in an inning," and, "not send runners home when the ball's already in the outfielder's glove," is going to be the manager tomorrow. And if he can't handle those things, I can't imagine he's going to be any good at all at deciding what's in the post-game buffet, let alone managing a bullpen. Oh, and he's already shown a penchant for throwing players under the bus publicly.

Yeah, I can't freaking wait for the Juan Samuel era.

According to my colleague Dan Connolly, Orioles president of baseball operations Andy MacPhail was at the warehouse tonight until about 10 p.m., after the team arrived home from New York about an hour earlier.

I think we all know what's going - or more appropriately what went on - here, but by now, we can wait for the Orioles to make the official announcement on Trembley's status probably by tomorrow.

MacPhail wasn't with the club in New York and it's not normal for him to meet the club when it returns home from a road trip.

Maybe Macphail was cleaning out his own office :).

Archived