First, that's an awful contract, and no team should beat it. Second, if no team is going to beat it, they're not going to beat it during free agency. You're not making any sense.

Well, if you believe in PECOTA, that contract would actually be a little bit of a bargain.

However, I agree with you...that wouldn't be a good contract.

I wouldn't guarantee him more than 6 years.

A fair deal for him is 5/85...But you won' get him for fair...So, something like 6/120ish is fine with me.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He may decide that he likes Baltimore and sees it as a place he wants to be at but the Orioles will still have to put the most money on the table, whether or not he was already here.

Oh I agree but just look at the Nationals and Tex. They offered more money than the Yankees at the end, but Tex had no ties there so he didn't even consider them.

Fielder has no ties to Baltimore, therefore we would have to significantly overpay to get him to consider Baltimore - likely an offer of 8/200.

If he were to have some ties here, the amount we would have to overpay would likely go down, and we wouldn't have to blow him away like that to warrant serious consideration IMO.

Oh I agree but just look at the Nationals and Tex. They offered more money than the Yankees at the end, but Tex had no ties there so he didn't even consider them.

Fielder has no ties to Baltimore, therefore we would have to significantly overpay to get him to consider Baltimore - likely an offer of 8/200.

If he were to have some ties here, the amount we would have to overpay would likely go down, and we wouldn't have to blow him away like that to warrant serious consideration.

And that is what it would take to extend him right now..not the 6/150 deal you said.

Well, if you believe in PECOTA, that contract would actually be a little bit of a bargain.

A fair deal for him is 5/85...But you won' get him for fair...So, something like 6/120ish is fine with me.

I agree that is about the maximum offer that would make sense for us.

I think tho, that offer would be about as popular as what we offered Tex, both to fielder and Boras and to the OH as well. We'd (they) would gripe about it for years.

I agree that is about the maximum offer that would make sense for us.

I think tho, that offer would be about as popular as what we offered Tex, both to fielder and Boras and to the OH as well. We'd (they) would gripe about it for years.

So that would be the "wow" offer? ;)

Jtrea...Are you giving up one of Matusz or Britton, along with Tillman(among others) if that is what the Brewers require in trade?

I would not give up Matusz or Britton. If I could get the window and an extension for Fielder, I might give up Arrieta as well as Tillman, but I would not require an extension as part of a deal.

And that is what it would take to extend him right now..not the 6/150 deal you said.

I've raised it to 7/175. I think he'd accept that.

He isn't getting 8/200 from anybody.

6/120 won't get it done for an extension or in FA. If you want the player, you have to pay the market price for the player.

Drungo's calculations included 2010 and 2011 and 2019 (would be year 8 in a contract) in that $190 million of worth. I no longer have a BP subscription, but I'm going to guess that those years add up to over 50M if Drungo was using the whole 2010 worth. But it depends on if we are talking about an extension or starting the contract in 2012, which is much more realistic imo. So I'm assuming that it would not be a bargain according to PECOTA.

And of course Drungo made a the good point that PECOTA can't really adjust for Prince's weight very well.

So that would be the "wow" offer? ;)

To me, I don't care. I think he has only so much worth to us, beyond which it's bad for a mid-market team. And that worth is not near what someone else will pay. I might have gone all-in on Tex, not Fielder.

To me, I don't care. I think he has only so much worth to us, beyond which it's bad for a mid-market team. And that worth is not near what someone else will pay. I might have gone all-in on Tex, not Fielder.

So who do you get to play 1B and/or hit cleanup?

Fielder is the only potential 35-40 HR bat in his prime that will be available to us for sometime.

All the other bats are locked up until 2014 and beyond.

Fielder is all that is left until then. We blew all the other opportunities we had.

Fielder is one large piece of the puzzle. Unfortunately, there are quite a few more that the O's still need. Signing Fielder, to me, is a bad idea - unless he was THE missing piece.

Fielder is the only potential 35-40 HR bat in his prime that will be available to us for sometime.

I'd love to see them go after Carlos Pena. 40HR power, and a good on base guy. And a heckuva lot cheaper than Fielder.

Cleanup cleanup. It's always cleanup with you. I'd rather have three .900 OPS guys (added), scattered in our lineup, than ONE 1.000.

And I said, I don't know the market that well. Fielder ain't it tho.

Archived