8/3/2010 The Buck Starts Here

weams

• Replies 261
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He looked nervous to me. I'm not sure i've seen anyone bounce a throw that badly from that position at 3rd.

Gotta be nerves. He had a pedigree coming in. Couple ST games I saw he threw it all over the place. Ton of errors in AAA. Hopefully Buck can get him to just relax.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• I doubt the O’s will look past it, given that Oakland just beat the Yankees 2 out of 4 in the Bronx.   
    • You know life is good when there are threads like these. Burnes + our lineup tonight. Wow
    • In 26 games, the A’s have scored 4+ runs only 9 times, and 5+ only 3 times.  The O’s have been held under 4 runs only 4 times and under 5 runs only 10 times in 24 games.   
    • I think of it as a "trap series" because it would be easy to look past it for the Yankees coming to town on Monday. 
    • I'll accept that! Now that we've gotten that out of the way, that's kind of a carte blanche to keep on about Jigger Statz and the '22 Cubs. I knew I'd heard Statz' name, and it's because he spent about 18 years playing for the Los Angeles Angels in the old Pacific Coast League when it was pretty close to being a 3rd major before the actual majors expanded to the west coast. He played off and on for them from the age of 22 to 28, then every year from age 31-44. He had 3356 hits in the PCL, hit .315, almost 600 doubles. Many, many players in that era had long careers in the PCL or the American Association or International League. A lot of them every bit as good as guys who had 15-year MLB careers. This was the same timeframe where the Orioles were winning seven straight IL titles with teams that certainly could have finished mid-pack in the AL/NL. Other '22 Cubs included Hack Miller, who looked like Hack Wilson or a fire hydrant (take your pick), and played many years for Oakland in the PCL. Zeb Terry played four years for the Angels. Ray Grimes had almost 4000 minor league PAs. Hooks Cotter played 10+ years in the high minors. Joe Klugman spent a decade in the Southern Association. That would have been a great era to follow, with 16 MLB teams, but countless other really competitive teams just a notch below. And this was mostly before affiliations took hold, so these teams were all trying their darnedest to win. They weren't just 3-month stopovers for the Cards and Dodgers' best prospects. If you were in Baltimore in 1922 and you ask 100 kids who their team was, it was overwhelmingly going to be the Orioles. Not the Senators or Yanks or whatever, but the home town team.
    • At home it's often the only way to avoid a tag, even sliding through and reaching back has injury risk.  Players didn't go head first in the old days because they weren't as friendly as today-you would get kicked, spiked or a hard tag in the kisser-also no batting helmets as a shield to the throw.  The bags were also softer and easier to maintain contact with.
    • Holy hell what is Miami doing to their pitchers 
  • Popular Contributors