Machado speaks

Frobby

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks Frob. Great stuff. I really like this kid's attitude. It seems that he is ultra-confident, while at the same time being respectful. He also seems very mature for an 18 yr old. Love this quote when asked if he would be nervous with Buck and Cal in the stands:

"I've never had butterflies in my life," he said. "But I suppose anything is possible."

Great Stuff!

I'll admit I was a little apprehensive after the whole Facebook fiasco with Harper, but after this quote I am glad I reserved judgement on the kids attitude!

"It's up to me too. It's not only up to the club. I've got to do what I was picked to do. I've got to work hard and show people what I was paid to do.":clap3:

I really hope he lives up to his billing not only for the Orioles, but for himself.

Something tells me it's not going to take him as long to arrive in Baltimore as most are expecting.

Thats the way it is, you gotta think logically about it. Logically it will take him 3-4 years, but there is also always that chance that he takes off and only needs 2 years in the MiL. Its not uncommon to see that with top prospects out of HS, but its also not common enough for anyone to bank on.

When kids like Porcello make it to the ML after a year of MiL ball, its because they took off, moreso than expected. Even Bryce Harper is projected to take a little while to get to the ML and he is dubbed a generational player. I could definitely see him moving through the system quickly, but once again, I am not projecting nor expecting it. Just knowing it is a possibility.....

I'll admit I was a little apprehensive after the whole Facebook fiasco with Harper, but after this quote I am glad I reserved judgement on the kids attitude!

"It's up to me too. It's not only up to the club. I've got to do what I was picked to do. I've got to work hard and show people what I was paid to do.":clap3:

I really hope he lives up to his billing not only for the Orioles, but for himself.

I teased him about his Tweets last evening and he flashed a big grin and shook his head. I think the limelight is very new to him, but he seems to be taking to it like a fish. He signed autographs for every kid that approached him on and off the field. (They had a children's choir sing the national anthem)

He, Narron and Givens were all held in the outfield for drills, stretching, and sprints and they all seemed to be approaching the process enthusiastically.

He knows who he is supposed to be, and I think he give it the effort.

Something tells me it's not going to take him as long to arrive in Baltimore as most are expecting.

Is that a gut feeling? I think a lot of us get excited when were hear quotes that we like and overlook actual performance a little. I know I do it. I'm trying to keep expectations low while hoping for something much bigger.

Is that a gut feeling? I think a lot of us get excited when were hear quotes that we like and overlook actual performance a little. I know I do it. I'm trying to keep expectations low while hoping for something much bigger.

Reminder:

Brandon Snyder, 2005: .873 OPS at Bluefield (172 PA), .884 OPS at Aberdeen (30 PA)

Billy Rowell, 2006: .929 OPS at Bluefield (177 PA), .876 OPS at Aberdeen (47 PA)

I remember well the rampant optimism about how quickly those two would progress to the majors, following their successful debuts the year they were drafted. Machado may move faster than they did, but you are right, we have to temper our expectations.

Reminder:

Brandon Snyder, 2005: .873 OPS at Bluefield (172 PA), .884 OPS at Aberdeen (30 PA)

Billy Rowell, 2006: .929 OPS at Bluefield (177 PA), .876 OPS at Aberdeen (47 PA)

I remember well the rampant optimism about how quickly those two would progress to the majors, following their successful debuts the year they were drafted. Machado may move faster than they did, but you are right, we have to temper our expectations.

Very true, and that's why it's so important to look at the K %. Rowell missed way too much in the low minors (once every 3.9 PA) which should have been a warning sign. Snyder was a more manageable once every 4.9 PA. I still say one of the most important stat is K/PA in the low minors. Good young hitters might struggle with average or power, or even drawing walks early on in their careers, but making contact tells a lot about minor league hitters.

Very true, and that's why it's so important to look at the K %. Rowell missed way too much in the low minors (once every 3.9 PA) which should have been a warning sign. Snyder was a more manageable once every 4.9 PA. I still say one of the most important stat is K/PA in the low minors. Good young hitters might struggle with average or power, or even drawing walks early on in their careers, but making contact tells a lot about minor league hitters.
Agreed. One of the strange things about taking a statistical point of view is all the stat guys say that striking out a lot at the MLB level is not a big deal at all, and they are right. All that matters is how good you are, not how you do it. But, nearly the opposite of that is true in the minors. High strikeout totals are a major red flag. If a guy can't put minor league junk into play and struggles hitting minor league fastballs, that's only going to get worse as he progresses through the minors. Sometimes its hard to remember that "stat guy" principles that are very reliable at the MLB level are oftentimes very different from what you need to look for at the minor league level.

I wish there was some way to record the difference between Ks swinging and looking, because it seems like one would be much more troubling for the future than the other.

True indeed. Just like the discussion a year or so ago about how Britton was getting his GB's. The question was, was he getting GB's based on pitches in the zone or outside the zone?

One thing to consider though when comparing Machado to Snyder and Rowell is the fact that Machado is considered the superior prospect. In fact, Machado is the best HS player drafted by us in the last decade atleast.....

BUT, on the flip side of that argument, just because he is the better prospect overall than Snyder or Rowell was, it doesn't mean he has the better offensive game than either did coming out of HS.

Anyone know of a good stat website that gives up-to-date info on K% and BB%?

One thing to consider though when comparing Machado to Snyder and Rowell is the fact that Machado is considered the superior prospect. In fact, Machado is the best HS player drafted by us in the last decade atleast.....

BUT, on the flip side of that argument, just because he is the better prospect overall than Snyder or Rowell was, it doesn't mean he has the better offensive game than either did coming out of HS.

I think there's no doubt that Machado is considered a much better prospect than either Rowell (9th overall pick) or Snyder (13th overall pick). He should have a better chance of moving up the ladder, and quickly, than either of those two. But, he's still an 18 year old kid, and he has only gotten minimal experience this summer. If he ends 2011 and he's still at Delmarva, it's nothing to worry about.

By the way, Machado's 2010 "baseball age" is 17. He only turned 18 on July 6.

Archived