9/7 Os v Yankees Jones is back

weams

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• Found it interesting Hyde said the team is undisciplined at the plate and need to take better at bats after the game last night.
    • I still can't understand why Adley has such a low walk rate.  Adley went from an elite walk rate as a rookie to now a well below average walk rate.  Maybe it's the exchange he had to make to unlock more power, but I was secure in the knowledge that Adley would always be among the ML walk leaders.  Now this whole team led by Adley is swinging at everything and anything.  Obviously there are times you need to look to kill that 1st pitch, but it would be nice to work some counts and prolong at bats.  The O's seem to have a lot of 6 pitch innings. 
    • Another thing.   The Orioles are a predominantly LH hitting team.  Not only does the LH get a head start out of the box compared to a RH hitter but they are also going to hit more grounders to the right side than left side.  I’d bet there are more DP’s started by 3B than 1B, because A) the 3B is usually the better fielder and B) the 3B doesn’t have to get back to the bag for the return throw or depend on the pitcher getting there.   As far as SS and 2B I don’t have a great guess but I would still guess there is a higher rate of grounders turned into DP’s started by the SS vs the 2B. It’s a theory and I’m sticking to it until proven wrong.
    • So they are basically admitting that pitchers with lots of spin are harder for humans to get right. Okay, you have the technology to help, use it.
    • I've been in a union for 25 years. I have seen many people lose their jobs despite being in a union. MLB should not be afraid that the umps will strike, if anything it could force them to go auto and actually take the nonsense out of the games. If you are incompetent at your job, union protection can't save you in any other industry.
    • From what I can tell the xAcc is about the mix pitches they get. It is estimating "likelihood a given pitch is called correctly." Has nothing to with the skill of the umpire. So if he had a low xAcc that game, it would mean he had a lot of pitches on the edge of the strike zone or for whatever reason their algo thinks they were hard pitches to call.  https://umpscorecards.com/explainers/accuracy So this scorecard is saying that for the particular mix of pitches Laz got, he did better than expected and this could be considered a good game. I say that's dead wrong. 
    • Definitely he was being diplomatic.  He'd have the best view of it and it wasn't like it was just off the corner, that was practically down the middle.  The whole ball was in the strike zone.  
  • Popular Contributors