A's claim Encarnacion off waivers from the Blue Jays (Kouzmanoff on the market?)

Capn Vivi

I was just wondering if anyone on here thinks that maybe Brian Roberts to third would be a good idea. A lot of people on here talk about getting Uggla and moving him to third. I just think that maybe finding a second baseman may be easier. What do you guys think? I realize it probably wont happen.

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't it obvious what Beane's strategy is? He's stockpiling players with double initials. He's just acquired Edwin Encarnacion and David DeJesus to go with Kevin Kouzmanoff, Gio Gonzalez, Chris Carter, and Coco Crisp.

So clearly Kouzmanoff isn't going anywhere. :)

I was just wondering if anyone on here thinks that maybe Brian Roberts to third would be a good idea. A lot of people on here talk about getting Uggla and moving him to third. I just think that maybe finding a second baseman may be easier. What do you guys think? I realize it probably wont happen.

IMO Moving Brian would be a bad idea.

Why is everyone invoking this idea that Buck and Andy decided not to bring Encarnacion on board because they deemed him "not an upgrade" or "not the direction the team is heading?" Should we trust their opinion if this is their line of thinking?

If they think Encarnacion isn't an upgrade or the direction this club is heading, what else could that line of thinking lead to? Re-signing Wiggy and Izzy because they're hard-nosed players?

The fact is: Encarnacion was potentially a major upgrade and MacPhail and Buck decided not to claim him. What they do the rest of the offseason concerning 3B remains to be seen.

Roberts probably doesn't have the arm for third. Otherwise, not a bad idea. There might be less wear and tear than playing middle infield.

Now, I know what some could be thinking...Why would AM claim EE now if he has others in mind for third base down the road?

Well, few things:

1) We could claim him and then non tender him later.

2) We could tender him a contract and look to trade him.

3) We could just keep him on the team as bench guy if we add another third baseman.

What it does do is guarantee us a big upgrade at third base over what we have right now. We know that worst case scenario, we should have a third baseman who will give us a 2-3 WAR for a bargain salary and we obtained him for free.

No downside picking him up here...Just as the Orioles screwed up when he was released earlier in the season, they screwed up this time as well.

I agree that it would have been smart to pick him up; however, I'm not nearly as convinced that he's such a good bet to be a 2-3 WAR guy consistently. In 2009 he put up a .2 WAR in 85 games and in his three previous seasons he was a mid to high 1 WAR guy.

Last year his defense apparently went from awful to a little below average, is that a sign of the future or an aberration? I don't know.

So he could be in that 2-3 WAR range, or he could be more like a high 1 WAR player, or he could be barely in the WAR black like he was in 2009.

People can start whining if the Orioles don't pick up someone like a Kouz, Reynolds, or Beltre. Right now, I think it's just a bunch of knee-jerk reactions.

I agree with you in principle, the result matters more than the circumstances that lead up to it. but I see nothing wrong with calling BS when you see it. MacPhail could have upgraded 3B for nothing just now and didn't, upgrading with other pieces this offseason is going to cost him quite a bit more. Obviously it matters more what he does than what anyone thinks he will do, but I think you need a certain level of faith in MacPhail that he hasn't earned to be so assured he will acquire a better 3Bman than Encarnacion.

Trading for Kouzmanoff or Reynolds.

That sounds great and honestly that's what I'm holding out hope for. But at this point in time, I'd rather have Encarnacion than the possiblity of Kouz or Reynolds + the talent it would take to acquire either.

Besides, I'm not sure MacPhail can make a trade for a player besides a prospect. Who has he traded for that was an established MLer that wasn't Kevin Millwood? That's what we're talking about here, down years or not.

That sounds great and honestly that's what I'm holding out hope for. But at this point in time, I'd rather have Encarnacion than the possiblity of Kouz or Reynolds + the talent it would take to acquire either.

Besides, I'm not sure MacPhail can make a trade for a player besides a prospect. Who has he traded for that was an established MLer that wasn't Kevin Millwood? That's what we're talking about here, down years or not.

Luke, Sherrill, Millwood

Why not? What skills are required that aren't involved in trading for prospects?

Why not? What skills are required that aren't involved in trading for prospects?

:confused: Giving up prospects? MacPhail traded Hayden Penn and Garrett Olson after the shine was off them. A lot of posters on this board expect MacPhail to trade spare parts for difference makers. That is an even more ludicrous prospect.

I think a trade of David Hernandez and Jim Johnson could net Reynolds, or at least start the conversation. I'm not convinced such an offer wouldn't get beaten by another team looking for a 3Bman. You need to trade value to get value.

Luke, Sherrill, Millwood

I won't disagree with you, but Luke wasn't quite established the same way Millwood was when we acquired him, nor was Sherrill. Well, Sherrill was an established LOOGY and Scott was 30 y/o with 763 ML Plate Appearances to his name. Reynolds has 2285 and Kouzmanoff has 2422. I wouldn't put them in the same category.

:confused: Giving up prospects? MacPhail traded Hayden Penn and Garrett Olson after the shine was off them. A lot of posters on this board expect MacPhail to trade spare parts for difference makers. That is an even more ludicrous prospect.

I think a trade of David Hernandez and Jim Johnson could net Reynolds, or at least start the conversation. I'm not convinced such an offer wouldn't get beaten by another team looking for a 3Bman. You need to trade value to get value.

Are yoiu trying to say he is incapablle of bringing himself to trade a prospect like DH for Reynolds? It's simply a matter of assessing relative/need value like any other trade. He may not agree with your assessment of the players involved. Arguements can be made for and against Reynolds.

Archived