Per Jeff Z: O's in serious talks for JJ Hardy!

Nick The Stick

Them talking this late, they could (COULD...) be saying, Andy, if you can get player X tomorrow morning in the draft, then we'll do the deal.

*fingers crossed*

Or it could just be dinner and drinks.

Andy: Yo Buck! Put your sweatervest on 'cause we gonna party with twins tonight! Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I really think the trade for Hardy will be done when the Orioles pick from the rule 5 draft is traded with Brent Jacobson to the Twins. This makes a lot of sense for both teams and so it would end trading Aubrey Huff(how we got Jacobson) for JJ Hardy, I will take that!

Or maybe the Twins like Pelzer or Beato but they have to wait until after the Rule 5 draft to see if the O's still have control of them before the O's can trade them.

Them talking this late, they could (COULD...) be saying, Andy, if you can get player X tomorrow morning in the draft, then we'll do the deal.

*fingers crossed*

Or it could just be dinner and drinks.

Maybe Adam Miller or Aneury Rodriguez would interst the Twins. Maybe Beato would be the selection if the Orioles drafted him with their pick. I got a feeling this gets down within hours following the draft, if not before.

Can someone please explain something to me. Britt mentions they are talking trade but have not gotten to the point where they are discussing specific players (other than Hardy I assume). If that's not what they're talking about, then what the heck are they talking about?!?!

Can someone please explain something to me. Britt mentions they are talking trade but have not gotten to the point where they are discussing specific players (other than Hardy I assume). If that's not what they're talking about, then what the heck are they talking about?!?!

They're giving each other flirty looks and winks. We don't know when, but we think they'll definitely be hooking up and exchanging DNA.

Seriously, though....no clue.

I would also think they want to get Nishioka locked down too, given that they lose some leverage if they trade Hardy first.

But when they sign Nishioka, they lose leverage on Hardy. This really has no bearing on this trade. What does IMO, is the need to rid themselves of $$$ obligations to Hardy so that they can spend said $$$ on retaining Carl Pavano.

I would also think they want to get Nishioka locked down too, given that they lose some leverage if they trade Hardy first.

I did read somewhere yesterday that those discussions seem to be going well. Still agree, it has to be done before they let Hardy go.

But when they sign Nishioka, they lose leverage on Hardy. This really has no bearing on this trade. What does IMO, is the need to rid themselves of $$$ obligations to Hardy so that they can spend said $$$ on retaining Carl Pavano.

Can't agree. The Twins can't trade Hardy, then possibly lose out on Nik, THEN have to try to get a SS in this market. Look how much trouble we're having getting one.

Probably money. Andy probably wants the Twins to pay part of Hardy's salary next year. And, of course, the Twins don't want to do that if they can talk Andy out of it.

Andy could be asking for a minor leaguer to come with Hardy to offset the salary and the two minor leaguers the O's are sending.

Or the could be discussing wines and cigars.

Can't agree. The Twins can't trade Hardy, then possibly lose out on Nik, THEN have to try to get a SS in this market. Look how much trouble we're having getting one.

They have Plouffe, who won't turn 25 until June next year and should be a league average or better shortstop for league minimum. It's not like the Twins to pay a guy 5-6 MM when they've got a cheap, young, in house option who should provide similar production.

They have Plouffe, who won't turn 25 until June next year and should be a league average or better shortstop for league minimum. It's not like the Twins to pay a guy 5-6 MM when they've got a cheap, young, in house option who should provide similar production.

They could be true, but it is not like Hardy will not have trade value during the season. It is not like the Twins give guys away either. I think we give up a little bit for Hardy, but the Orioles can not expect the Twins to pay some of Hardy's salary if the Twins are moving him because of the salary. If the Orioles decide to pay it maybe to keep certain prospects out of the deal.

They could be true, but it is not like Hardy will not have trade value during the season. It is not like the Twins give guys away either. I think we give up a little bit for Hardy, but the Orioles can not expect the Twins to pay some of Hardy's salary if the Twins are moving him because of the salary. If the Orioles decide to pay it maybe to keep certain prospects out of the deal.

I think the O's might get money along with Hardy. Hardy is in line to get 6-7M at arbitration. The O's could be asking for a $1M to come back.

From a budget stand point the Twins probably want Hardy traded this off season when all or a large part of the salary can be saved. They probably need it to offset Pavano's salary. The Brewers are pressing to sign Pavano but the Twins are favored. There is probably $10M/year involved with him. Saving 5M on Hardy helps the budget.

If the Twins wait until mid season they only save 2 or 3M if he is traded then.

Andy: Yo Buck! Put your sweatervest on 'cause we gonna party with twins tonight! Yeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaahhhh!!!!!!!

And we know what's spinning at the club they are going to:

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMEDZnM_TZE?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMEDZnM_TZE?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

Archived