O's sign Jeremy Accardo? (Rogers SportsNet)

TGO

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bullpen depth. This is what teams do -- sign or pick up guys who may or may not work out at the back end of the bullpen. What's not as smart is overpaying for guys like Kline and Baez. Not an earth-shattering move, but a reasonable gamble that should not impair the ability to sign anyone.

From Dan Connolly:

#Orioles Baseball coincidence of the day: Accardo's pitching coach at AAA this year was Dave LaRoche, dad of O's top 1B FA target, Adam

3 minutes ago via web

http://twitter.com/danconnollysun

Ken Rosenthal also pointed out in his blog yesterday how Buck Showalter and Dave LaRoche knew each other during their time with the Yankees, hmmm interesting.

Does Accardo have some weird delivery, or throw a screwball, or I don't know, like some funky 3/4 gyroball or something? Something here just feels strange - he's been stuck in the minors for several years, he has a huge reverse platoon split (i.e. he's a righty, but he does very well against lefties), and he's got a low K rate recently but still pitched well in AAA.

I think the O's saw something in him that they think mitigates his mediocre/odd peripherals.

Does Accardo have some weird delivery, or throw a screwball, or I don't know, like some funky 3/4 gyroball or something? Something here just feels strange - he's been stuck in the minors for several years, he has a huge reverse platoon split (i.e. he's a righty, but he does very well against lefties), and he's got a low K rate recently but still pitched well in AAA.

I think the O's saw something in him that they think mitigates his mediocre/odd peripherals.

Yeah, I can't find any evidence that he was injured and got over the hump, or anything like that.

Does anyone know if a ML deal means that it's guaranteed $$?

:puke:

Really .... I don't get it .,..Don't we have enough mediocre relievers?

Actually, no. We'll probably go with a 6 or 7 man bullpen and to do that, given injury/attrition/some guys sucking you probably need to go to camp with 8 or 9 potential major league relievers, and I don't think we are there yet.

We added bullpen depth. Good.

We took a chance on a guy who, in his last healthy year, was very good.

And, what no one has brought up: we have a HORRIBLE track record of bringing in National League relievers and seeing them self destruct in a big way here. At least today we signed a guy who is a career ALer and who had success in this league.

:puke:

Really .... I don't get it .,..Don't we have enough mediocre relievers?

I guess not. Nice that there is support for someone who had 30 saves like 4 years ago. Here's a thought: Why don't we sign one that did it last year? "Oh, that's right, they don't play for $1 million a year"

I guess not. Nice that there is support for someone who had 30 saves like 4 years ago. Here's a thought: Why don't we sign one that did it last year? "Oh, that's right, they don't play for $1 million a year"

Seriously, do you contribute anything besides baseless complaints?

Archived