O's sign Jeremy Accardo? (Rogers SportsNet)

TGO

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm not sure Accardo is significantly different from Gregg - other than he hasn't been used as a closer in the majors. His ML stats are comparable. He's got a lifetime 3.96 ERA and 1.34 WHIP in 209 innings. Gregg has a 4.04 ERA and 1.33 WHIP in 535 innings.
The last three years combined he has had a 1.71 WHIP at the ML level.

I'm not sure Accardo is significantly different from Gregg - other than he hasn't been used as a closer (as much) in the majors. His ML stats are comparable. He's got a lifetime 3.96 ERA and 1.34 WHIP in 209 innings. Gregg has a 4.04 ERA and 1.33 WHIP in 535 innings.

C'mon Ruzious, you know better than that. One guy has been pretty consistent for a long time, the other guy had one excellent year 4 years ago and has been hurt or ineffective ever since. The career numbers are worthless to compare in that scenario.

And yet his career stats still are comparable to Gregg's.

And, he would be a player comparable to Gregg, if he hadnt been struggling through injury the last three years. Garrett Atkins CAREER numbers weren't bad when we signed him either...

I don't hate this signing. But to insinuate that Accardo and Gregg have similar chances to succeed in 2011 is ridiculous.

It's a major league contract.

--Dan Connolly

That is cool that he is under control for two seasons if we choose.

Would have preferred this to be a minor league deal but this sounds like a decent deal.

Lets put this in perspective. At best, he is a middle reliever to start the season. Assuming he returns to his prior glory, he could push himself into a set-up role if someone goes down or is traded. I like it.

C'mon Ruzious, you know better than that. One guy has been pretty consistent for a long time, the other guy had one excellent year 4 years ago and has been hurt or ineffective ever since. The career numbers are worthless to compare in that scenario.

All I know is that there's no upside with Gregg. He's consistently mediocre. And him being a reliever, why should we expect him to be healthy so he can achieve the goal of mediocrity?

That is cool that he is under control for two seasons if we choose.

Would have preferred this to be a minor league deal but this sounds like a decent deal.

Lets put this in perspective. At best, he is a middle reliever to start the season. Assuming he returns to his prior glory, he could push himself into a set-up role if someone goes down or is traded. I like it.

Likewise, if he fails, we send him down or cut him, shrug our shoulders, and forget about him a year from now. There's really very little risk involved.

And, he would be a player comparable to Gregg, if he hadnt been struggling through injury the last three years. Garrett Atkins CAREER numbers weren't bad when we signed him either...

I don't hate this signing. But to insinuate that Accardo and Gregg have similar chances to succeed in 2011 is ridiculous.

We don't know which will be worse (I wouldn't use the term better with those 2 as the choices).

All I know is that there's no upside with Gregg. He's consistently mediocre. And him being a reliever, why should we expect him to be healthy so he can achieve the goal of mediocrity?

His track record on health is good. I think "mediocre" is a bit harsh, though I couldn't say he's more than "slightly above average."

Archived