Vlad about to fall in the O's lap?

wildcard

I've always been a believer that it's silly to worry about not having enough ABs (or IPs for that matter) to go around.

If you truly think that Reimold or Pie is hands down a better option in the lineup than Vlad, then don't make a play for him. I'm sure most would think that's not likely to be the case.

Nolan & Felix will have plenty of opportunities to earn their way into the lineup. If Vlad or Thome is available on a one year deal, then I say add him.

Injuries and ineffectiveness happen. Reimold and Pie will get their chances if they earn them. You have to prudently improve the team when you can.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<PRE>

Split G GS PA AB R H 2B 3B HR RBI SB CS BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS TB GDP HBP SH SF IBB ROE BAbip tOPS+ sOPS+

Home 77 77 336 311 49 98 16 1 16 63 1 2 16 33 .315 .354 .527 .881 164 8 5 0 4 3 4 .308 109 133

Away 75 68 307 282 34 80 11 0 13 52 3 3 19 27 .284 .336 .461 .796 130 11 4 0 2 2 2 .275 90 124

</PRE>

Provided by <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/about/sharing.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Baseball-Reference.com</a>: <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?id=guerrvl01&year=2010&t=b&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#hmvis">View Original Table</a><br>Generated 1/2/2011.

Look at those away splits.

LA di da, Vlad was helped out GREATLY by Texas, nothing saying he will hit that well at Camden.

Oriole Park is pretty darn power friendly.

And Vlad isn't going to have a problem with ones that just make it.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail.php?id=2010_457&type=hitter&sortm=ballpark&sort=asc

Also if anything, Luke Scott's away splits just magnify the need for Vlad or Thome.

With the news that Beltre is about to sign with the Rangers, where is Vlad's market? Young moves over to DH and the Rangers probably will not resign Vlad.

The A's had been pursuing Vlad but they signed Matsui. Cust went to Seattle. The Angels have Abreu, Rivera and Napoli at DH.

Vlad signed for 1/6.5M last year. What if he is available for 1/5 or 1/6. Can the O's turn that down?

Vlad hit 29 HR and drove in 115 in 593 at bats last year. Some say that was just because he hit in Texas. And he did hit better at home. However if his away numbers are expanded to 593 at bats they calculate to 27 HR and 109 RBI. That is not exactly as huge drop off.

Could Vlad become too attractive for the O's to turn down? Is putting Vlad at DH, Scott in left and Pie as the 4th OF and Reimold at AAA waiting for a injury too crazy to actually happen?

What do you think?

Would love to see this happen. The guy can still swing a bat, and I do think he'd be the kind of bat that would make those around him better... which I cannot say of anyone else in this lineup except Lee, perhaps. I also agree that, while the ship has not sailed on Reimold or Pie, it is getting ready to sail. Either can prove himself wherever he is - AAA, bench, whatever role they put them in. Just do what you can with what you're given. Meanwhile, if the O's can improve their lineup, they need to do that - period - and quit planning around prospects who haven't earned the right to an everyday role.

Oriole Park is pretty darn power friendly.

And Vlad isn't going to have a problem with ones that just make it.

http://www.hittrackeronline.com/detail.php?id=2010_457&type=hitter&sortm=ballpark&sort=asc

Also if anything, Luke Scott's away splits just magnify the need for Vlad or Thome.

Vlad would become besties with the porch in left field, where Cal used to dump 'em in about row 2, time and again...

I'm on board with bringing in Vlad or Thome to DH.

I could still see Texas trading Young and then signing Vlad though. What about trading for Young? We did work out a trade last year with Texas. I'm sure it would take much more than a Chris Ray type this year though. :)

Oh god, no — maybe the most overrated player in baseball. Always thought half of his batting average points should go to the mashers around him, and if you're forced to put him in the field, he now has a defensive range of about a foot and a half. He's not worth a resin bag or a fungo bat, much less any actual breathing players.

Winning more games doesn't make sense?

Actually if we are going to lose our first round pick, the better our record should be so it is as low as possible...

Right now this team on paper stands that we will indeed be one of the top 15 teams in baseball.

Reimold is 27, Pie is 26 - you know what you have in them already and if you don't, the evaluation skills of your scouts aren't very good.

Why hurt the team by playing Pie and Reimold when you can put a more established bat (Scott) in their place?

Trea, this particular age comparison is just not useful. How established, exactly, was Luke's bat by age 27? Answer: career OPS .557. So you can't say that we should all know everything there is to know about Reimold and Pie by this point. Nolan has had a total of 434 AB so far, and of those he was physically healthy for maybe 200? Felix has had more - 800 - but not two full season's worth, and 250 of those were spread over sporadic AB's with Chi.

I have no problem with seeing Pie/Reimold go head to head for LF in spring training, and I don't want Vlad taking at bats away from them.

Archived