New Autograph Policy for Fanfest

SilentJames

So, instead of paying for admission then waiting in very long lines for autographs, I now have to pay for admission, pay $15 per autograph session, then wait in very long lines.

I understand that this goes to charity, but this seems to be a giant slap in the face to any fan over 14.

I could not agree more...I go to fanfest every single year and yes the lines are long and passing out those tickets to get autographs was not a very good idea. Last year with the tv screens was a little stride in help to a large problem, but now waiting outside in the cold to get in, then paying admission, then paying $15 bucks for 3-4 guys? I don't agree...Charity is a great thing and I'm glad the money is going there, but really? I feel slapped in the face

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
its a $15 donation to get 3-4 autographs.

10 bucks to get in, season tix holders get in for free. I mean its not that big of a deal.

Kids get autos for free. I mean the ravens only give autos to kids at training camp.

but it's free admission at training camp!

But training camp is not nearly as fun as fanfest. There's a reason it's free.

At training camp, you get to watch football players practice non-contact plays.

At fanfest, you get to watch Jeremy Guthrie practice Guitar Hero.

nuff said

Again, ONLY kids 15 and under were allowed autographs. If you were 16 or above, NO SOUP FOR YOU! But I guess as long as the Ravens did it and not the Orioles its okay. (keep in mind I am a die hard fan of both teams, a concept apparantly some people cannot grasp).

I mean really people, we're talking about autographs here. Autographs!

I could not agree more...I go to fanfest every single year and yes the lines are long and passing out those tickets to get autographs was not a very good idea. Last year with the tv screens was a little stride in help to a large problem, but now waiting outside in the cold to get in, then paying admission, then paying $15 bucks for 3-4 guys? I don't agree...Charity is a great thing and I'm glad the money is going there, but really? I feel slapped in the face

This, this makes you feel slapped in the face? Really.

This is what I like to call a "first-world problem". Oh no I have to wait out in the cold for a minor amount of time before I can go to the winter convention of my favorite local professional team. And I can't get an autograph unless a donation is pried from my cold stiff fingers.

Seriously, how many autographs do you plan to get? And isn't 15 bucks to charity worth guaranteeing that you get the three/ four guys you want.

Crap sake, Ray Lewis charges money to sign stuff straight up.

Slapped in the face - wow. I think Philly's mayor was right.

But training camp is not nearly as fun as fanfest. There's a reason it's free.

At training camp, you get to watch football players practice non-contact plays.

At fanfest, you get to watch Jeremy Guthrie practice Guitar Hero.

nuff said

Not watch, you get to play with him.

I'm complaining about this more because I never even cared about the autographs. I waited in line to meet the new Orioles and just interact with them.

Waited for around an hour last year just to snap a picture of Lou Montanez, which resulted in a funny exchange with not only him, but Felix Pie and Nolan Reimold as well. I now have a picture of Lou cracking up in my Orioles photo album online. I didn't even get an autograph!

That's what it's about for me. If they want to make some fans pay for vouchers that go to charity, then fine. Give the fans with vouchers a separate line. However, I'll be glad to not buy a voucher, wait in line for 2 hours, just to see the guys I'll be cheering for this year.

This, this makes you feel slapped in the face? Really.

This is what I like to call a "first-world problem". Oh no I have to wait out in the cold for a minor amount of time before I can go to the winter convention of my favorite local professional team. And I can't get an autograph unless a donation is pried from my cold stiff fingers.

Seriously, how many autographs do you plan to get? And isn't 15 bucks to charity worth guaranteeing that you get the three/ four guys you want.

Crap sake, Ray Lewis charges money to sign stuff straight up.

Slapped in the face - wow. I think Philly's mayor was right.

I have gone to Fanfest every year since I was 10 and when you take your father with you (who is a diabetic) and can't stand outside in the cold for a period of time because his legs give out and cramp up, but still wants to go because it is tradition...standing outside in line in the cold does matter.

I have gone to Fanfest every year since I was 10 and when you take your father with you (who is a diabetic) and can't stand outside in the cold for a period of time because his legs give out and cramp up, but still wants to go because it is tradition...standing outside in line in the cold does matter.

Two options: 1. Let the ushers know that your Dad is diabetic and cannot wait outdoors. They may let him in. 2. Go later after the thing has been running for an hour or so.

This blows. It cuts out the people between the ages 15-17.. I'm 17 years old and this fricking blows.. I'm gone to fanfest for the last 7 years.. Thanks Orioles.. Now what does the 15 dollars cover, does it cover just one session or the entire event

I don't have a problem with it especially because the money's going to charity, but you (and those in your age range) are the ones who I think suffer as a result. Probably high school kids, probably working part-time jobs, already spending a portion of what little disposable income they have on the Orioles (swag, FanFest, game tickets, etc.), and now there's an extra $15 they have to chip in to get a few autographs.

The shame of it is that policies like this are driven by the seedy, greedy, greasy, slimeball memorabilia profiteers. You know the ones I'm talking about...they set up shop every Sunday at the local flea market, but show up during the week to events like the Michael Oher signing at Harford Mall this week, the Chik-Fil-A appearances by Orioles last season, and even ones like this with armloads of bats, balls, hats, helmets, 8x10 glossy photos, etc. trying to weasel their way into having it all autographed so they can up the value on their inventory for next-to-nothing.

There's probably a better way for this whole autograph situation to be managed, but it really sucks that a demographic the Orioles organization DESPERATELY needs to win over is going to be slighted at this event.

You want to charge me, a 33-year-old, for an autograph? Absolutely. But a 15/16/17 year old kid who's probably still playing the game himself just looking for proof that he got to meet and spend a few seconds with someone he looks up to? There should be no charge for that.

I don't have a problem with it especially because the money's going to charity, but you (and those in your age range) are the ones who I think suffer as a result. Probably high school kids, probably working part-time jobs, already spending a portion of what little disposable income they have on the Orioles (swag, FanFest, game tickets, etc.), and now there's an extra $15 they have to chip in to get a few autographs.

The shame of it is that policies like this are driven by the seedy, greedy, greasy, slimeball memorabilia profiteers. You know the ones I'm talking about...they set up shop every Sunday at the local flea market, but show up during the week to events like the Michael Oher signing at Harford Mall this week, the Chik-Fil-A appearances by Orioles last season, and even ones like this with armloads of bats, balls, hats, helmets, 8x10 glossy photos, etc. trying to weasel their way into having it all autographed so they can up the value on their inventory for next-to-nothing.

There's probably a better way for this whole autograph situation to be managed, but it really sucks that a demographic the Orioles organization DESPERATELY needs to win over is going to be slighted at this event.

You want to charge me, a 33-year-old, for an autograph? Absolutely. But a 15/16/17 year old kid who's probably still playing the game himself just looking for proof that he got to meet and spend a few seconds with someone he looks up to? There should be no charge for that.

You're right! I wish the Orioles would understand that

Well said.

I'm 26 and barely have the disposable income to be paying for autographs!

You're right! I wish the Orioles would understand that

You're missing his point. Its not the Orioles who are to blame, its the greedy autograph seekers. You want to be angry, be angry at them. They'll be hard to miss at FanFest, trust me.

Well said.

I'm 26 and barely have the disposable income to be paying for autographs!

With all due respect, and I seriously mean no harm by this, but if you (or anyone over the age of 18) is that hard up for $15 of disposable income, then you should be saving that for more important things than somebody's signature!!!!

There's no perfect solution to this, but I have no problem with the system the Orioles are using. Speaking of "seedy, greedy, greasy, slimeball memorabilia profiteers," don't expect that every kid in the line, is there are doey-eyed and awe-struck. I went to spring training in the 90s and even back then I'd see kids run up to the athletes, and then run back to an adult with cash in hand ready to make a trade. Those profiteers hire these kids.

Archived