Bonds sentenced for perjury.

24fps

SAN FRANCISCO - Barry Bonds, baseball?s home run champion, avoided a prison term yesterday when Judge Susan Illston sentenced him to 30 days of house arrest, two years of probation, 250 hours of community service with youth groups, and a $4,000 fine for providing evasive testimony to a federal grand jury eight years ago.

Bonds?s lawyers stated their intention to appeal, and Illston agreed to stay the sentence through the appeal process.

Link here: http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2011/12/17/barry-bonds-sentenced-days-home-arrest-for-perjury-conviction/mNEDKXhKYZxaj4Jt62cWwN/story.html

That'll teach him a lesson. :rolleyes:

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a disgrace that a U.S. Attorney's office would spend such considerable effort for such a paltry sentence. I've seen such offices pass on clear cases of official corruption by elected officials, but they go after Bonds. It's ridiculous.

I guess Roger walks, there would be a huge outcry to do this all over again.

Can the judge even say house arrest with a straight face?

How could the prosecution, in California, say 15 months with a straight face?

I am pretty sure if someone with a clean record, that isn't famous, gets hit with one count of Perjury they won't be serving any real time.

Do you think a violent criminal should be set free early so someone that lied should serve time?

The conviction is going to be overturned anyway.

How could the prosecution, in California, say 15 months with a straight face?

I am pretty sure if someone with a clean record, that isn't famous, gets hit with one count of Perjury they won't be serving any real time.

Do you think a violent criminal should be set free early so someone that lied should serve time?

The conviction is going to be overturned anyway.

This is the sad reality in much of California for just about any non-violent crime. Had he actually been sentenced to do time (unlikely IMO given his legal resources), most likely he would have been processed, served one night in jail at most, and released with the other components of his sentence still his obligation to discharge. There are severe overcrowding problems at the moment. You're right, no serial rapist is going to be turned loose to make room for a convicted liar.

Can the judge even say house arrest with a straight face?

I'd like to do something that'd require me to go on house arrest for a month. I seriously could sit around the house for a month with nothing to do and have a valid reason not to go anywhere. Can I do it in February? That's a pretty worthless month and it's cold.

Archived