Cubs sign Wada to Minor League Deal

Can_of_corn

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So now it's the Cubbies taking our rejects....I wondered why we didn't try him out at season's end or try to resign him. It will be interesting to see how he fares.

Obviously the O's were unimpressed with what they saw from him during his rehab and his stint with the Tides.

Doesn't look like anyone was willing to offer him a ML contract.

Would have liked to see him come up in Sept... even if it was just a couple of mop up duty appearances to see how he fared against MLB hitters. Oh well.

Arrieta, Strop, and now Wada. Might have to flip on the Cubbies every once in awhile just outta curiosity.

Color me relieved. I had made a declaration in response to an ongoing spat in the Wada thread last year. I was to have his picture as my avatar for eternity if he made even one start.

Of course, I knew in my heart of hearts this had no real way of happening. :D

Big sigh.

• 1 month later...

I have a sense that Wada will pitch better this season than he did last season, due to the additional time that he has had to recover and rehabilitate from the surgery.

I essentially consider the 19 games that he started and pitched last season for AAA-Norfolk part of his rehab/recovery.

Since we already sunk $10 Million into him over the last 2 years, I was hoping that we would sign him to a minor league contract for the 2014 seasons ourselves, just in case he does. By doing that, we would have had nothing to lose, and everything to gain (as is the case with all minor league contract signings.) Oh well.

I have a sense that Wada will pitch better this season than he did last season, due to the additional time that he has had to recover and rehabilitate from the surgery.

I essentially consider the 19 games that he started and pitched last season for AAA-Norfolk part of his rehab/recovery.

Since we already sunk $10 Million into him over the last 2 years, I was hoping that we would sign him to a minor league contract for the 2014 seasons ourselves, just in case he does. By doing that, we would have had nothing to lose, and everything to gain (as is the case with all minor league contract signings.) Oh well.

If I was Wada I wouldn't have accepted a deal from the O's over any other team. These are the guys that wouldn't promote me even after rosters expanded.

If I was Wada I wouldn't have accepted a deal from the O's over any other team. These are the guys that wouldn't promote me even after rosters expanded.

I thought honor was big in Japan? Getting 10 million dollars for sitting around injured, and then holding a grudge because poor Wada wasn't ready to help the team? I agree the O's should have gotten him back for cheap and at least try and recoup some performance out of him.

I thought honor was big in Japan? Getting 10 million dollars for sitting around injured, and then holding a grudge because poor Wada wasn't ready to help the team? I agree the O's should have gotten him back for cheap and at least try and recoup some performance out of him.

Wada ya gonna do? He is a Cubbie now.

Ok, that's my last one.

He also got $10 Million from the O's for not having pitched a major league game.

I believe that the Orioles did the right thing in having Wada pitch the entire season at AAA last year, and not bringing him up in September. He was good at the AAA level, but not great, and whatever confidence that he had gained from his 19 games that he started and pitched reasonably well last year in a pitcher's park (Harbor Park) might have been smashed if he had gotten shelled at the major league level to finish the season.

I think that he is in a good position now, with a chance to show that he can pitch even better with an additional off-season of rest since the surgery, and some AAA experience under his belt from last year.

He also got $10 Million from the O's for not having pitched a major league game.

I believe that the Orioles did the right thing in having Wada pitch the entire season at AAA last year, and not bringing him up in September. He was good at the AAA level, but not great, and whatever confidence that he had gained from his 19 games that he started and pitched reasonably well last year in a pitcher's park (Harbor Park) might have been smashed if he had gotten shelled at the major league level to finish the season.

I think that he is in a good position now, with a chance to show that he can pitch even better with an additional off-season of rest since the surgery, and some AAA experience under his belt from last year.

I think it is a matter of pure stuff and Wada doesn't have it.

Archived