Better than anyone we have?

weams

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=554432#/career/R/pitching/2015/ALL

http://www.bluebirdbanter.com/2015/1/30/7947033/inside-the-mind-and-numbers-of-blue-jays-pitcher-chad-jenkins

He doesn't have the blazing fastball or knee-buckling breaking pitch that makes scouts salivate or the peripherals to get the sabermetric types enthralled. However, what he does have is a sinker that Aaron Hill once famously described as a "bowling ball".

Using this sinker and solid command, the Blue Jays righty forces opponents to put the ball in play against him, and so far the results have been pretty good. Although his fielding-independent numbers have not been stellar, he has posted a 3.25 ERA in his first 97 innings in the major leagues, including a 3.03 mark as a reliever.

LG LEVEL W L ERA G GS CG SHO SV SVO IP H R ER HR HB BB IBB SO AVG WHIP GO/AO

Minors 2015 INT AAA 8 6 2.98 41 11 0 0 1 4 93.2 98 37 31 5 2 26 1 60 .264 1.32 1.02

I'm not sure why they gave Floyd a MLB deal.

I wish Gavin the best, but I think the odds of maintaining his pitching health are slim. I would rather have the younger, healthier, sinkerballer for my bullpen. They supposedly have two bullpen slots open. He pitched pretty well out of the bullpen for them in 2014, and his gb% went up each season in the majors.

He have any options left?

No....

Jenkins had been a steady performer out of the bullpen before 2015, averaging a 3.25 ERA and 32.1 innings per year in the three seasons prior. However, a brutal spring and mediocre results last season made the out-of-options reliever expendable. If he manages to clear waivers, he'll likely go back to Triple-A Buffalo.

No....

Jenkins had been a steady performer out of the bullpen before 2015, averaging a 3.25 ERA and 32.1 innings per year in the three seasons prior. However, a brutal spring and mediocre results last season made the out-of-options reliever expendable. If he manages to clear waivers, he'll likely go back to Triple-A Buffalo.

He might clear waivers, but he shouldn't. There are too many teams that can use his sinkerball out of the pen.

Archived