Sherman: Arguably Worst SP Free Agency Ever

weams

1. Arguably the worst free-agent starting-pitching class ever is upon us. Rich Hill is the best starter available. He is a terrific craftsman. He also is 37 in March, has not made it through a full season as a starter since 2007, and no team can simply wave off concerns about blisters because he relies so much on his curveball, which creates intense friction on his fingers against the ball's seams.

And the class goes down-Hill from there.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/22/verlander-deal-astros-all-in-why-mlb-hot-stove-could-be-trade-heavy/

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1. Arguably the worst free-agent starting-pitching class ever is upon us. Rich Hill is the best starter available. He is a terrific craftsman. He also is 37 in March, has not made it through a full season as a starter since 2007, and no team can simply wave off concerns about blisters because he relies so much on his curveball, which creates intense friction on his fingers against the ball's seams.

http://nypost.com/2016/10/22/verlander-deal-astros-all-in-why-mlb-hot-stove-could-be-trade-heavy/

Wasn't this why DD took a chance on Miley?

I would argue that Jeremy Hellickson is the best pitcher on the market right now, but Hill has higher value because he's an average lefty.

No way would I sign Hill to anything more than a 1yr deal. I'm still not convinced this year wasn't a fluke career year. Just look at his track record. I'd definitely look to Hellickson before hill if I was in the market for a SP. I'm of the opinion that the O's shouldn't be, unless they trade Jimenez, Gallardo, or Miley. They don't need a 7th SP.

Agreed that it's a weak overall FA class. That's why I would offer the QO to both Wieters and Trumbo. They'll both turn it down, IMO, and if our efforts to re-sign one or both aren't successful, at least we get the picks.

No way would I sign Hill to anything more than a 1yr deal. I'm still not convinced this year wasn't a fluke career year. Just look at his track record. I'd definitely look to Hellickson before hill if I was in the market for a SP. I'm of the opinion that the O's shouldn't be, unless they trade Jimenez, Gallardo, or Miley. They don't need a 7th SP.

Agreed that it's a weak overall FA class. That's why I would offer the QO to both Wieters and Trumbo. They'll both turn it down, IMO, and if our efforts to re-sign one or both aren't successful, at least we get the picks.

Wieters would accept the QO again. He may be a 2/25 or 3/36 type player on the open market, so of course he will take 1/17.

We need the payroll flexibility badly with all the arbitration increases due. No QO to Wieters, please.

Archived