Who are our most underrated prospects, nationally?

Frobby

I think I'd vote for Brandon Snyder and David Hernandez. Snyder I think is particularly underrated by the national pundits. Just look what he's done the last 13 months:

Hawaii ------.378/.398/.544

Frederick --- .316/.358/.490

Arizona -----.349/.431/.667

When you consider that he was still pretty young for each of these leagues, to me he's reestablished himself as one of the better hitting prospects in the game.

As to Hernandez, it seems like people focus on his shortcomings without giving enough credit for what he does well. I mean, all the guy has done is strike out batters wherever he pitches: 9.58 K/9 in Delmarva, 10.40 K/9 in Frederick, 10.60 K/9 in Bowie. People focus on the fact that his BB rate went way up last year, without crediting the fact that his BAA went way down, and he did a far better job pitching with men on base. I recognize that he'll need to improve some things if he wants to remain a starter, but it seems to me he has a great future as a reliever if he has to be moved to the pen.

Who do you think deserves more attention from the national media who cover the minors?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think I'd vote for Brandon Snyder and David Hernandez. Snyder I think is particularly underrated by the national pundits. Just look what he's done the last 13 months:

When you consider that he was still pretty young for each of these leagues, to me he's reestablished himself as one of the better hitting prospects in the game.

As to Hernandez, it seems like people focus on his shortcomings without giving enough credit for what he does well. I mean, all the guy has done is strike out batters wherever he pitches: 9.58 K/9 in Delmarva, 10.40 K/9 in Frederick, 10.60 K/9 in Bowie. People focus on the fact that his BB rate went way up last year, without crediting the fact that his BAA went way down, and he did a far better job pitching with men on base. I recognize that he'll need to improve some things if he wants to remain a starter, but it seems to me he has a great future as a reliever if he has to be moved to the pen.

Who do you think deserves more attention from the national media who cover the minors?

Is it possible that even though Wieters is the number 1 prospect that he is being underrated? He may just be that good.:eektf: He is seen as a really good upcoming catcher but does the national media predict hall of famer like his statistical projections indicate?

I don't think Snyder will be as underrated next year if he continues his trend. His biggest obstacle is settling in at a position and showing value as an everyday fielder. His value as a DH is limited. Time will tell.

I agree with Hernandez. He seems pretty good to me.

Nationally and locally, Matt Angle would be my first choice. Excellent CFer, base stealer, and underrated hitter.

A case could be made for Wilfredo Perez. When finally promoted to AA, he stepped it up and was his usual dominant self. Lefty reliever - not rated high because he doesn't fit the usual conventions.

I think the players with the biggest upside that our FO likes and who do not yet have the national recognition include Snyder, Henson and Spoone. I think everyone acknowledges the stuff of DHernandez, but there are issues to be addressed there.

I think locally people are still not convinced that Snyder could be a plus bat in the majors. It is my opinion also that Matt Angle is a better ballplayer than he is recognized for being here. I also think people are more down on Rowell than they should be.

Totally agree here Frobby, Snyder is not getting enough accolades for his bat. It could be the reason for his not getting ranked anywhere is the perception that his fielding is bad and that he really hasn't stuck to a particular position. I don't know, keep hearing mixed messages. I guess his work ethic is great and he was injured which set him back. He's still young, so I think he will stick somewhere eventually and surprise many when he comes up.

Underrated, I'd go with Snyder. I'd like to see what happens in '09, but I get the feeling that more attention should be given. in general, to both Drake and Bundy.

I agree with this. I think Drake and (especially) Bundy are "sleepers" more than underrated (there's simply not enough professional results on which to rely).

People are slow to come back to Snyder. Those are very impressive numbers, especially with the power starting to come on.

I agree with both. If Hernandez can rectify his command issues where would that put him! I'll say this again if Hernandez can get his BB/9 to what it was in '07 and have the same success in '08 he would diffidently would be in the Top 100.

I agree with this. I think Drake and (especially) Bundy are "sleepers" more than underrated (there's simply not enough professional results on which to rely).

People are slow to come back to Snyder. Those are very impressive numbers, especially with the power starting to come on.

Much better way to put it. Thanks, Jim.

Of our prospects with a track record, I agree on Snyder.

But my vote for most underrated is Miclat. Even with his limited track record this year, there are a few things that I really like. Foremost is his attitude and the way he seems to be universally impressing everyone in the development system with his work ethic. Second, I think that if his arm recovers we have our SS of the future, plus a lead-off batter to succeed BRob and a spark plug - table setter for the rest of the line-up.

All of that is based on my intuition and totally lacks the kind of objective analysis that Stotle, Greg, FRobby, Tony and the rest of you guys provide. I would be interested to know if my intuition is supported by objective observations

Of our prospects with a track record, I agree on Snyder.

But my vote for most underrated is Miclat. Even with his limited track record this year, there are a few things that I really like. Foremost is his attitude and the way he seems to be universally impressing everyone in the development system with his work ethic. Second, I think that if his arm recovers we have our SS of the future, plus a lead-off batter to succeed BRob and a spark plug - table setter for the rest of the line-up.

All of that is based on my intuition and totally lacks the kind of objective analysis that Stotle, Greg, FRobby, Tony and the rest of you guys provide. I would be interested to know if my intuition is supported by objective observations

I agree -- my thoughts are along similar lines and well documented here and at the depot.

snyder/hernandez

I say give snyder another year in the minors to solidify his defense and hes offense will talk for itself the kyd seems to be dialed in at the plate this time next year we could be talking about when he's gonna make his debut.

As for hernandez the kyds era and oppenets batting average (which show a lot to me) where very impressive and ya he might have walked a few batters but he made up for that by sitting the other ones down with his league leading strike outs. Look at what the young power arms for the tampa bay rays have done we have one of our own in the making.

The guy who isnt rated at all..and shouldnt be based on his "growth" or lack of it...is Billy Rowell. Its beginning to look like he has a higher opinion of himself than anyone else does. Thats not just my opinion. Ask any Oriole scout..off the record.

So what are you saying, Roy? That Rowell is an arrogant jerk? That his arrogance prevents him from working on the things he needs to do to develop his talent? Or that he doesn't have talent, and thinks that he does?

There's plenty of evidence out there that Rowell is arrogant and immature. That's annoying, but not necessarily fatal. He was 19 years old this season. Lots of kids, especially athletes, are arrogant and immature at that age. Hopefully they either grow out of it naturally, or they have a few life experiences that take them down a peg and force them to grow out of it.

The real issue here is does he have the talent we thought he had when he was drafted, and will he do the work necessary to hone his talent and get better.

Although I think Rowell is far more arrogant and immature than his teammate Brandon Erbe, I think you can look at Erbe's early career, including his first year at Frederick at age 19, and draw some parallels. Erbe started out like a ball of fire the summer he was drafted, at age 17, and had a very strong first full year at Delmarva (though not without hiccups) at age 18. Then he hit Frederick at 19, thought he could just keep what he'd been doing without making adjustments the coaches were recommending, and had a terrible year. That experience taught him something, and by accounts I've heard he was much more amenable to listening to his coaches this time around and the results showed it. He wasn't spectacular this year, but he was very good while still being young for the league at age 20, and now he appears back on the path for success. Perhaps he needed his humbling 2007 experience in order to develop.

So now Rowell has all winter to confront the fact that he wasn't very good this season. He played with teammates such as Matt Wieters, Brandon Snyder, Jake Arrieta and Brandon Erbe who are all moving on to bigger things, while he's going to have to repeat Frederick. If he was paying attention and has any common sense at all, he'll come in next year determined to do what it takes to get back on the right track, and scale back the attitude a bit.

Only time will tell, but I'm far from writing him off. It's way too soon.

Time will tell, but it usually takes a traumatic experience for someone to make dramatic changes in how they approach life. Perhaps last season was that traumatic experience, and I wouldn't write him off yet, but I wouldn't put many eggs in his proverbial basket.

Time will tell, but it usually takes a traumatic experience for someone to make dramatic changes in how they approach life. Perhaps last season was that traumatic experience, and I wouldn't write him off yet, but I wouldn't put many eggs in his proverbial basket.

Not necessarily, especially given his age. Some people are just learning what it means to be an adult. I know I did.

Archived