Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
24 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is the key for me. If a good prospect or piece was being offered then I'd want Jones to waive his no-trade cost, but I'm not going to dump him to a contender only to get a C-level guy back. that would be disrespectful to a guy who means so much to the franchise and it's fans.

I do want to say this though, the uprooting of his family stuff is so overblown it's not funny. First off, why would his family need to uproot for two and half months left of this season? Now maybe I'm just looking at this from a guy who was separated from his family for months at a time many, many times including a year long and five month deployments. So you'll need to excuse my huge roll of the eyes if a multi-millionaire will be "separated" (he literally could fly them and keep them with him if he wanted) from his family during the stretch run.

But back to the issue at hand, the only way I'd ask Jones to waive his no-trade is if we could really get a nice piece back from him and I don't think he as the value for the to happen so we might as well use him to help the young guys get acclimated to the bigs! I don't want to see Jones wearing pinstripes for a stretch run when the return is minimal.

I'm happy to have #10 stay in uniform the rest of the year. Now saying all of that, the decision on his next contract and whether he fits into a rebuilding team that has depth in  outfield prospects is the one that will be tough.

I don't think we should be eye-rolling at a guy who wants to spend as much time as possible with his family and stay involved with the charities he's setup here. Yes, I understand your thinking coming from your perspective in the military, but I don't think one millionaire should really feel inclined to spend time away from his family just to help out another millionaire. There isn't some righteous cause here, like there is for serving your country.

37 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This is the key for me. If a good prospect or piece was being offered then I'd want Jones to waive his no-trade cost, but I'm not going to dump him to a contender only to get a C-level guy back. that would be disrespectful to a guy who means so much to the franchise and it's fans.

I do want to say this though, the uprooting of his family stuff is so overblown it's not funny. First off, why would his family need to uproot for two and half months left of this season? Now maybe I'm just looking at this from a guy who was separated from his family for months at a time many, many times including a year long and five month deployments. So you'll need to excuse my huge roll of the eyes if a multi-millionaire will be "separated" (he literally could fly them and keep them with him if he wanted) from his family during the stretch run.

But back to the issue at hand, the only way I'd ask Jones to waive his no-trade is if we could really get a nice piece back from him and I don't think he as the value for the to happen so we might as well use him to help the young guys get acclimated to the bigs! I don't want to see Jones wearing pinstripes for a stretch run when the return is minimal.

I'm happy to have #10 stay in uniform the rest of the year. Now saying all of that, the decision on his next contract and whether he fits into a rebuilding team that has depth in  outfield prospects is the one that will be tough.

I just don't understand this thinking.

My understanding is that the O's would save 5-7 million in salary. How many scouts for how many years would that money pay for?

And a player that doesn't want to leave a historically bad last place team to play in a pennant race... No idea what AJ's thought process could be

2 hours ago, theocean said:

I don't think we should be eye-rolling at a guy who wants to spend as much time as possible with his family and stay involved with the charities he's setup here. Yes, I understand your thinking coming from your perspective in the military, but I don't think one millionaire should really feel inclined to spend time away from his family just to help out another millionaire. There isn't some righteous cause here, like there is for serving your country.

No, but c'mon, he needs to grow up if he is really concerned about being away from his family for a few months when he can clearly fly them around with him if he wants. Honestly, I don't think that really has anything to do it with why Adam won't waive his no-trade cause. I think he realizes the return is not going to be much so it doesn't make much sense to leave. I agree with him, but if I'm him, I'm not saying that either. 

At the end of the day Adam Jones is a 10/5 guy who has the overall control in this situation. The Orioles are not going to get much of return unless they eat a bunch of salary, so it's time to just move on to other potential trade partners for other players.

I'd be dangling Gausman and Givens hard, but not going to give them away either.

3 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

If Jones would agree to a 2 year deal and agree to move to a corner OF position, I'd welcome him back to mentor Hays and Mullins and Diaz. We are heavy on OF prospects, and could be even more-so if they sign Mesa. If the intention is to just throw the young guys out there to sink or swim, then I guess Jones doesn't have a place. 

I wonder if the sign Mesa, would they trade a Mullins or Stewart for IF help? I know prospect for prospect trades don't happen much. Even if they sign Mesa, they would have roughly $2M in International bonus pool money, so I guess they could go that route.

Back on topic...I'm with you. If AJ wants to finish out the season in Baltimore, I'll enjoy watching an great Oriole while I can. The man has bled Black and Orange.

13 hours ago, InsideCoroner said:

Adam Jones has the right to decide if he finishes out the year with the club or not. I’m not one for denying anyone their rights, especially if he earned it while being the face of the franchise and a valuable member of the community over the past decade. As @Dark Helmet said above, the potential return (an AAAA player?) isn’t worth fretting about. We’re not talking Lux or Rodgers here.

For years it seemed like so few FA candidates wanted to wear an Orioles uniform. How can we get upset if #10 decides he wants to wear his for a few extra months?

o

I agree completely.

Adam does not owe ANYBODY an explanation if he is choosing to veto a trade.

It doesn't matter what his reason(s) is, because that is his right as a 10/5 player. End of story.

o

1 minute ago, Dark Helmet said:

If Jones would agree to a 2 year deal and agree to move to a corner OF position, I'd welcome him back to mentor Hays and Mullins and Diaz. We are heavy on OF prospects, and could be even more-so if they sign Mesa. If the intention is to just throw the young guys out there to sink or swim, then I guess Jones doesn't have a place. 

I wonder if the sign Mesa, would they trade a Mullins or Stewart for IF help? I know prospect for prospect trades don't happen much. Even if they sign Mesa, they would have roughly $2M in International bonus pool money, so I guess they could go that route.

Back on topic...I'm with you. If AJ wants to finish out the season in Baltimore, I'll enjoy watching an great Oriole while I can. The man has bled Black and Orange.

Yes, i am sure that Stewart, Hays, Mullins, Diaz, Mckenna, Mesa (if he signs), Mountcastle (if he gets moved) and Santander (if his staph infection clears up) would need a mentor.  Afterall it isn't like the O's have coaches.

Moving AJ to me....would have been more about respecting Adam and moving him to a playoff run.  If he dosent want to go, I have moved on.  It's not a big deal and we were getting little if anything in the move anyway.

Nothing to throw rocks at here....At AJ or the Orioles.

Move along....nothing to see here.

32 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, i am sure that Stewart, Hays, Mullins, Diaz, Mckenna, Mesa (if he signs), Mountcastle (if he gets moved) and Santander (if his staph infection clears up) would need a mentor.  Afterall it isn't like the O's have coaches.

Hey, by the time they make it to the majors they shouldn't need to be coached by your logic.

16 minutes ago, Dark Helmet said:

Me too.

Does Jones have this right to refuse a trade? Absolutely. Am I disappointed that he is exercising said right? Yup I am. His time here is over, and at the end of the day I'd like us to get something for him, no matter how marginal, versus him clogging up centerfield and taking experience and at bats from someone who may be part of our future. I'm an Orioles fan way before I'm a Jones, Markakis, or Machado fan, and I want what is best for the team and organization. Most will disagree with this, but I've lost a little respect for Jones if this ends up playing out as it appears. Its his right, sure. But it's not a good decision for the Orioles.  IF we are truly ramping up our international scouts, the money saved this year by trading Jones could also pay for quite a few scout salaries over the next few years.  All in all I wish he'd agree to be moved for various reasons (small prospect, giving playing time to younger guys, saving money to be better spent elsewhere).

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

With Jones on the roster it's going to take one of them two more years to make it to the majors.

Hays and Stewart haven't shown they belong in the majors yet. And I Said, if the plan is to just let them sink or swim, then Jones doesn't have a place.

Archived