Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

13 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yes, i am sure that Stewart, Hays, Mullins, Diaz, Mckenna, Mesa (if he signs), Mountcastle (if he gets moved) and Santander (if his staph infection clears up) would need a mentor.  Afterall it isn't like the O's have coaches.

I don’t discount the mentorship thing completely.   Look at how the young Braves players talk about Nick Markakis’ work ethic.   

My problem is, I want the young guys getting at bats.   Not watching Adam Jones bat.   

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/30/2018 at 7:52 PM, forphase1 said:

Does Jones have this right to refuse a trade? Absolutely. Am I disappointed that he is exercising said right? Yup I am. His time here is over, and at the end of the day I'd like us to get something for him, no matter how marginal, versus him clogging up centerfield and taking experience and at bats from someone who may be part of our future. I'm an Orioles fan way before I'm a Jones, Markakis, or Machado fan, and I want what is best for the team and organization. Most will disagree with this, but I've lost a little respect for Jones if this ends up playing out as it appears. Its his right, sure. But it's not a good decision for the Orioles.  IF we are truly ramping up our international scouts, the money saved this year by trading Jones could also pay for quite a few scout salaries over the next few years.  All in all I wish he'd agree to be moved for various reasons (small prospect, giving playing time to younger guys, saving money to be better spent elsewhere).

His wording today was a bit strong, but look, the guy has a young family.  I can see where Adam wouldn't want to uproot them for a two month playoff run, and then uproot them again two months later after finding a new home in free agency.  As Adam said, this is why people picketed and fought for the 10-5 rights.  As a veteran, he deserves to make that call, and it's not just his family, but he's also concerned with how his charities would function in his immediate absence and not having time to put in any sort of succession plan.  

This guy has done so much for the team, city and the game of baseball, that he's easily deserved the right to veto a trade whether he had the 10-5 rights or not.  Anyone disrespecting Adam Jones for making this decision should check themselves on it.  

6 hours ago, ThomasTomasz said:

His wording today was a bit strong, but look, the guy has a young family.  I can see where Adam wouldn't want to uproot them for a two month playoff run, and then uproot them again two months later after finding a new home in free agency.  As Adam said, this is why people picketed and fought for the 10-5 rights.  As a veteran, he deserves to make that call, and it's not just his family, but he's also concerned with how his charities would function in his immediate absence and not having time to put in any sort of succession plan.  

This guy has done so much for the team, city and the game of baseball, that he's easily deserved the right to veto a trade whether he had the 10-5 rights or not.  Anyone disrespecting Adam Jones for making this decision should check themselves on it.  

I could have done without the defensiveness honestly.  Reporters are paid to ask questions just like he is paid to play baseball.   Adults know this....

Wasn't one of the trade options to Philadelphia?  Which is 100 miles from Baltimore?  I do understand what his rights are but I would have thought that having a chance to play for a contending team this close to Baltimore and to exorcise his horrific October past would have been worth it....especially for all of three months.  But perhaps not. 

Either way, what is done is done and I suspect in the offseason we will thank him very much for his service over the last decade and move on. 

I don't know AJ or his wife, but I know some of their closest friends very well.  Without proof, I am convinced Adam's wife and friends are the reason he wants to stay.  The Orioles also employ his best friend.

Jones seemed upset with the organization at the beginning of the year, but I speculate his heart prevented him from waiving his 10-5.

Again, just conjecture.  But so far it aligns.  The decision will probably be beyond his control at the end of the year.  

An off-season transition would be easier in these regards, as well.

I can see the following.  He probably will not be back with the O's next year because they have so many outfielders coming up from the farm.   If he were traded now, he might have to have his life and team disrupted twice-  once now and over the summer being a free agent.  He can cut that down to once by playing this year with the Orioles.

As a free agent, he would have the entire off-season to decide what to do and where to go.  He might even stay with the Orioles on a lesser contract to finish his career there, or go to Philly, which would mean not having to move.

A good recap from Meoli: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-adam-jones-sabathia-podcast-20180802-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#

Link to the podcast directly: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/r2c2-is-uninterrupted/id1384767525?mt=2

A lot of interesting comments in this interview. Most notably, he all but confirmed Philadelphia wanted him to be a 4th outfielder/platoon player and he didn't see that as a fit. He also apparently didn't like some of the comments Dan Duquette made leading up to the deadline. He also talks about the possibility of changing positions and his expectations for the rest of the season in regards to his playing time and role. It's a good listen.

Alright, that makes a lot more sense actually.   With apologies to the Tony-OH theory.

I totally believe that Jones would really not want to be traded to Philly where he would be seen as a 4th OF type and then hit free agency with the stain that he is 'no longer an everyday player.'   That would probably cost him millions in FA.

I may try to listen to this..........thanks for posting!

9 minutes ago, Babypowder said:

A good recap from Meoli: http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-adam-jones-sabathia-podcast-20180802-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter#

Link to the podcast directly: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/r2c2-is-uninterrupted/id1384767525?mt=2

A lot of interesting comments in this interview. Most notably, he all but confirmed Philadelphia want him to be a 4th outfielder/platoon player and he didn't see that as fit. He also apparently didn't like some of the comments Dan Duquette made leading up to the deadline. He also talks about the possibility of changing positions and his expectations for the rest of the season in regards to his playing time and role. It's a good listen.

Thanks, so he would rather stay here and play everyday, then go to a winner and sit the bench and play backup.

I get it, not sure I agree, but like he said, he earned his 10-5 rights.

As for having 4 good years left as an every day player, dang, not sure about that and Im an AJ fan.

I know he sounds unhappy with some of DD's comments, but not enough to leave here.

I think they should listen to Jones and bring Mullins up and let him play everyday for the next two months.  Like Jones said, he can relearn to play right field and increase his value (his words).  I do object a little to Jones complaining about the O's not approaching him waiving his 10/5 rights until 5 days before the deadline, wishes it was in early July.  Come on AJ, you knew the situation, you and the wife should have been having that discussion about possibly moving in early July and what teams could be a good fit, didn't need DD asking in late July to start that discussion.

8 minutes ago, Aglets said:

Alright, that makes a lot more sense actually.   With apologies to the Tony-OH theory.

I totally believe that Jones would really not want to be traded to Philly where he would be seen as a 4th OF type and then hit free agency with the stain that he is 'no longer an everyday player.'   That would probably cost him millions in FA.

I may try to listen to this..........thanks for posting!

This is exactly why it totally makes sense to me. If I'm Adam Jones, I don't think I'd want to head into free agency as a part time player when that's not how I see myself. I suspected this was the case when it was happening. It didn't make sense to me from the Phillies perspective to acquire him and play him over Nick Williams. As a platoon player, it totally made sense. The flip side of that is I don't know what people are upset about. What do they think a 4th outfielder making 17M brings back in a trade?

4th OF role in Philly definitely explains why AJ refused the trade. He is playing for his final contract and it is probably better to do that as an every day player, even on a bad team. I think he is good enough that he could hold down a corner OF somewhere. Markakis got 4/$40 and landed in Atlanta at Age 31. At age 33, I could see Jones catching on somewhere for 3/$30. Honestly, if the O's weren't rebuilding, I would be OK with them paying him that.

Pride.  He's kidding himself if he thinks he has four years left as an everyday player.  I get it though, you have to feel that way to be an elite professional athlete.  He just can't admit to himself that his skills have diminished and will continue to diminish.  As for his 'shut the hell up' comment, that's foolish, IMO.  He's in a profession where he's in the public eye and subject to people forming opinions.  Deal with it.  I doubt he'd take it very well if PGA or John told him at one of those dinners, "Until you pay the team's bills, shut the hell up."

Just now, Aristotelian said:

4th OF role in Philly definitely explains why AJ refused the trade. He is playing for his final contract and it is probably better to do that as an every day player, even on a bad team. I think he is good enough that he could hold down a corner OF somewhere. Markakis got 4/$40 and landed in Atlanta at Age 31. At age 33, I could see Jones catching on somewhere for 3/$30. Honestly, if the O's weren't rebuilding, I would be OK with them paying him that.

No way.  The market has changed, even from when Markakis signed his Atl deal.  Look at last offseason where guys, especially 30 and up, couldn't get signed.  Jones will be lucky to get 2/16 IMO.

Archived