Would you trade Adam Jones even up for these CF's?

Frobby

I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):  

202 members have voted

1. 1. I'd trade Adam Jones even up to get (multiple selections allowed):

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Tony-OH said:

As Duquette noted in his recent interview, players in their 30s can't be counted on in the post PED environment so those big contracts just aren't out there anymore for guys like Jones. 

He could have been playing in meaningful baseball games right now with a chance at a World Series ring instead, he'll be entering into a Free Agency with a bit of a tarnished legacy, and a skill set that screams one year affordable contract. Not sure if he took advice or made this decision on his own, but this has to go down as one of the worse decisions I've seen a veteran major league baseball player make.

Just to add, then he rubbed it in everyone's face who dared ask why he did it. 

"I earned these rights." Yeah, you did. But you also earned the right to have a shot at a ring with a contending team less than 4 hours from your house.

You also earned the right to be benched for John freaking Amdreoli, DJ Stewart, Joey Rickard, ect.

Free agency is going to be harsh.

• Replies 645
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I think this move was both selfish, and illogical. 

The fact that the Phillies wanted him for RF and platoon tells you roughly where his market value will fall this offseason, regardless. And now the entire world knows they didn't want him for center or even full-time RF. So... how does that not hurt his value as much as going and playing there and succeeding, and maybe becoming a star in the playoffs??

This is a great point. the only way for Jones to increase his value was to come up big down the stretch and in the playoffs. Then he could have that veteranosity tag attached to him. 

Of course, his .155/.206/.207/.413 playoff slash line in 63 PAs suggests that the spot light may not be where he shines.

5 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

"I earned these rights." Yeah, you did. But you also earned the right to have a shot at a ring with a contending team less than 4 hours from your house.

You also earned the right to be benched for John freaking Amdreoli, DJ Stewart, Joey Rickard, ect.

I can't see a contender wanting Jones as a starting OF.  He'll either get a one year contract as a place holder on a rebuilding team or have to take a platoon/bench role on a contending team.  I doubt he'll be back with the O's because of his refusal to be traded. 

20 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

The fact that the Phillies wanted him for RF and platoon tells you roughly where his market value will fall this offseason, regardless. And now the entire world knows they didn't want him for center or even full-time RF. So... how does that not hurt his value as much as going and playing there and succeeding, and maybe becoming a star in the playoffs??

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he remained a free agent until spring training, when the Orioles could get him back on a 1-year deal... to man right. 

He's lost a few steps over the years... or he's always been somewhat slow-footed. I saw a stat on the OH yesterday rating the speed of every player on our roster. Adam wasn't even in the top 10!! 

I've been mixed on Adam's statements over the years. I liked him as a player. But his assumption that he should have a role/say in front-office matters has always rubbed me the wrong way... Much of that, I suspect, is on ownership... As with Snyder in DC, they seem to create direct relationships with players, to the detriment of the manager and the team. So even this comes back to ownership. 

Exactly.  He earned the right, but it was both foolish and selfish.  While it's his right, we also have the right to be disappointed in his reasoning for vetoing the trade. And it would pile on to the disappointments if the O's end up re-signing him.  And I think he's opened up the question of how important winning is to him.  It's certainly not among the first items he's looking for.          

5 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Exactly.  He earned the right, but it was both foolish and selfish.  While it's his right, we also have the right to be disappointed in his reasoning for vetoing the trade. And it would pile on to the disappointments if the O's end up re-signing him.  And I think he's opened up the question of how important winning is to him.  It's certainly not among the first items he's looking for.          

Honestly, it makes me think he isn't good for new players.

Would you rather have rookies be around a team leader that wants the team to get better and who has an ultimate goal of a championship, or a guy that says "I'm not leaving because I'm not a part timer," even when his skill set dictates that and only has his eyes on money?

2 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Honestly, it makes me think he isn't good for new players.

Would you rather have rookies be around a team leader that wants the team to get better and who has an ultimate goal of a championship, or a guy that says "I'm not leaving because I'm not a part timer," even when his skill set dictates that and only has his eyes on money?

He leads by example.

33 minutes ago, Bradysburns said:

I honestly wouldn't be shocked if he remained a free agent until spring training, when the Orioles could get him back on a 1-year deal... to man right. 

Very good points.

Man. Some harsh words for Adam in this thread...

I understand that it’s been a horrible season. I also understand that Jones doesn’t really fit into this team’s rebuild plans. But still. Sheesh. Give this man a break. It’s not like he’s having a bad season. If he had been playing RF from opening day his rWAR would look wayyy better.

He leads the team in ABs (541), hits (154), doubles (32).

He’s struck out less than usual. Hes getting on base at a solid clip (.285 avg, .316 OBP). He’s stolen 7 bases in 8 attempts. He’s got a respectable OPS (.743).

And he’s one of the only players fans still want to go see. I’ve only been to five games this year (the fewest in years for me), but I’m going with about 15-20 people for that last series, mostly just so we can give this man a standing ovation every time he comes up to bat.

He means a lot to the city.

42 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

Last I saw was about not wanting to relocate his family. Besides it was his choice. He will lose money. 

5 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Last I saw was about not wanting to relocate his family. Besides it was his choice. He will lose money. 

He changes what he says every month. First he said they approached him out of nowhere and he didn't want to relocate. Then it was about how he didn't want to be a platoon player. Now it's about how the trade would of impacted him in free agency.

7 minutes ago, TommyPickles said:

Man. Some harsh words for Adam in this thread...

I understand that it’s been a horrible season. I also understand that Jones doesn’t really fit into this team’s rebuild plans. But still. Sheesh. Give this man a break. It’s not like he’s having a bad season. If he had been playing RF from opening day his rWAR would look wayyy better.

He leads the team in ABs (541), hits (154), doubles (32).

He’s struck out less than usual. Hes getting on base at a solid clip (.285 avg, .316 OBP). He’s stolen 7 bases in 8 attempts. He’s got a respectable OPS (.743).

And he’s one of the only players fans still want to go see. I’ve only been to five games this year (the fewest in years for me), but I’m going with about 15-20 people for that last series, mostly just so we can give this man a standing ovation every time he comes up to bat.

He means a lot to the city.

I like AJ. Wish him well. I don't have any harsh feelings toward him for doing what he had every right to do. I don't understand why any fan would have harsh feelings toward him. I don't think he would have brought back much as a rental. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

As Duquette noted in his recent interview, players in their 30s can't be counted on in the post PED environment so those big contracts just aren't out there anymore for guys like Jones. 

He could have been playing in meaningful baseball games right now with a chance at a World Series ring instead, he'll be entering into a Free Agency with a bit of a tarnished legacy, and a skill set that screams one year affordable contract. Not sure if he took advice or made this decision on his own, but this has to go down as one of the worse decisions I've seen a veteran major league baseball player make.

The Phillies and Jake tanked. 

20 minutes ago, Legend_Of_Joey said:

He changes what he says every month. First he said they approached him out of nowhere and he didn't want to relocate. Then it was about how he didn't want to be a platoon player. Now it's about how the trade would of impacted him in free agency.

Probably all had a part. 

Archived