REGGIE JACKSON'S Lost Season

OFFNY

Pete Rose played with the Expos for half a year and actually collected his 4,000th hit while in Montreal.

That's another strange season for a big player.

Sosa with the Orioles is up there too.

Good ones, Sean. The only difference is, as Moose Millgan pointed out, both Rose and Sosa (like Johnny Unitas, Joe Namath, Willie Mays, etc.) were hanging on, well past their primes. Reggie´s one season with the Orioles was at the height of his prime.

As another poster pointed out, Reggie Jackson was FAR FROM lazy. A pain in the ass, but definitely NOT lazy. In 1976, Jackson posted a career-high for stolen bases in a season (28) for the Orioles ...... in spite of missing the first month of the season when he held out. :eek:

When one of the all-time great power hitters steals more bases in one season than he ever has in spite of missing one month of the season ........ playing for a manager that was NOT KNOWN as a big fan of a lot of stolen bases ............. there is no possible way that his effort(s) can be construed as lazy.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jacksre01.shtml

Alright, you make a better point.

• Thanks 1

• 3 months later...
That 1977 season is, to me, the most "underrated" classic O's season. Everyone remembes 1966, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1979, even 1980, 1982, 1983, 1989, 1996, 1997... but 1977 was special too. Not only did we lose Reggie, we lost 20 game winner Wayne Garland to free agency, we had traded Baylor, we had lost Bobby Grich, and several other great O's from the early 70s had reached the end of the line like McNally, Cuellar, etc. We had made a midseason trade the year before to pick up and unknown catcher named Dempsey, and behind Palmer in the rotation we had a bunch of rookies and second year players no one knew very well named Flangan, McGregor, and Martinez. We broke in rookies at DH (Eddie) and 2B (Dauer). The transition from Brooks to Dougie at 3B was nearly complete.

We weren't supposed to compete that year. Not with the mighty defending AL champion Yankees who had been the first to discover the free agent market, or the powerhouse Red Sox two years removed from the World Series.

But Palmer won 20, Eddie was rookie of the year, Lee May was hitting moonshots, the young pitchers ALL came through (hint hint 2011 cavalry).

And we were in the race to the final weekend of the season. The team that no one gave a chance wasn't eliminated until Friday night in Boston.

Of all the seasons we didn't make the playoffs, 1977 is definitely in my top 4, right along with '89, '82, and '80.

Ah, the memories.

My first Orioles game I remember well. But I only remember one part of it though. Lee May had taken a couple of pitches way inside. Hit the dirt on the last one. He got up and threw the bat toward the pitcher on the mound. He then charged the mound. The dugouts emptied. The pitchers in both bullpens raced through the OF to join the fray. Talk about excitement! I was hooked and fondly remember that as the beginning of my love affair with the Orioles.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Yeah, the only info I can find is a blog, stating that Reggie wanted a 3-year deal worth $675,000. Ah, what could have been...

On an unrelated note, Aurelius, it's good to see you. I remember you from before this board (when the old one crashed). :thumbsup1:

Aurelius was the "Who am I" champion if I recall right.

• 6 months later...

o

From 0:35 to 0:46 seconds, that is Reggie Jackson hitting a grand slam home run in the top of the 9th inning to win the game for the Orioles against the White Sox ...... August 22nd, 1976.

Here is a more expanded version of the grand slam.

From 3:40 to 4:18, it shows the Oriole runners jogging around the bases, and Reggie getting a hand around the back from Ken Singleton after he crosses the plate.

That's Al Bumbry kicking the dirt from his cleats after Reggie's granny.

o

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...