Jones interview on Fox45

O'sFan

Last night on SportsExtra they had some comments from Jones on how he thinks the season will play out. He seemed pretty disturbed and made comments about how he is tired of hearing about Showalter and that Buck didn't throw the ball or catch the ball or hit the ball during the team's strong finish last year. He basically said that Buck just filled out the lineup card. Did anyone else catch this or is this something old.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Didn't see the interview... but I am beginning to think the O's should be looking to trade Jones. He seems to have a much higher opinion of his abilities than meets reality. Not a big Pie fan, but I am a big Reimold fan. An OF of Markakis, Pie, Reimold may be the O's best long term soloution, assuming we get some value for Jones.

Last night on SportsExtra they had some comments from Jones on how he thinks the season will play out. He seemed pretty disturbed and made comments about how he is tired of hearing about Showalter and that Buck didn't throw the ball or catch the ball or hit the ball during the team's strong finish last year. He basically said that Buck just filled out the lineup card. Did anyone else catch this or is this something old.

This has been brought up a couple of times and really is no big deal, IMO. The media is basically portraying the last 2 months of last season as if Buck had some magic elixer that he gave to the guys to make them win. It was mostly about health and the pitchers deciding to trust their stuff. But Buck being a savior is a better story so that is all the players have heard since the season ended. I understand why they would get frustrated. All professional athletes have egos and they don't swallow their pride often. Now many of them are going along with the story lines because their personality is not to talk a lot but that isn't Jones. He likes to talk and is fed up with this story. I am too, move on. Let's talk about baseball! And Buck would be the first to tell you the same thing.

Non-story.

This has been brought up a couple of times and really is no big deal, IMO. The media is basically portraying the last 2 months of last season as if Buck had some magic elixer that he gave to the guys to make them win. It was mostly about health and the pitchers deciding to trust their stuff. But Buck being a savior is a better story so that is all the players have heard since the season ended. I understand why they would get frustrated. All professional athletes have egos and they don't swallow their pride often. Now many of them are going along with the story lines because their personality is not to talk a lot but that isn't Jones. He likes to talk and is fed up with this story. I am too, move on. Let's talk about baseball! And Buck would be the first to tell you the same thing.

Non-story.

The first time he was quoted with this it was a non-story.

Then the SI Post Card article came out and I started to get a bit disturbed.

Now he says the same thing a third time?

Add this to the fact that he doesn't listen to the coaches advice on where he should be positioned in the outfield, and the fact that in 3 years he has yet to learn to lay off the down and out slider, and I am starting to have some major concerns with this guy.

I agree the Buck stuff probably gets a bit annoying after a while, but two things Jones needs to remember. 1) Buck is his boss, so even if he doesn;t agree with the media frenzy, he better learn to respect his boss and keep his mouth shut if he doesn't have anything nice to say. 2) Jones isn't as good as Jones thinks he is.

There was a report out last week that the Royals were looking for a Jones-esque type player. Well, lets see if they want Jones

I saw the interview last night and my first reaction was why? Why make these comments? Have they already started telling him to play deeper in CF and stop swinging at bad pitches? I'm sure the answer to those questions is YES and he does not like people trying to correct him. Early HR in an exhibition game so he is already making plans for the All- Star game this year.

I mentioned a few weeks ago his comments about wanting to score in front of Lee and Vlad which means he expects to bat behind BROB. Too much ego too soon in his career. Unless Lee or his friend Tony Gwynn sits him down and tells him to tone it down it's only going to get worse.

He should be in a package for a starter ASAP. I wish he was a quiet guy and could just blend in with the other players. He has talent and can improve if he listens to the right people.

Exactly. If the guy is a star, you can put up with comments like these, because you know he's going to perform on the field. Jones seems to think he's a star, even if he's the only one. I wonder how he'll handle hitting down in the bottom third of the lineup. Hopefully he uses it as motivation to work harder and be a more productive hitter, but more likely he'll just spend his time whining and complaining. Which would have worked with Trembley (see: Melvin Mora), but won't with Buck, I don't think.

I highly doubt he'll get traded, even if he keeps this up, but I wouldn't mind seeing it. It's certainly not as simple as just giving the job to Pie, considering he's been injury prone and very inconsistent at the plate.

Wow the trade Jones threads are starting early this season. I figured with the meh season Pie had that Jones would have at least been safe until, you know, the season actually started.

I am pretty sure Buck can handle the situation and that if Buck had not thought Jones a player worth keeping, then at least the rumor of a Jones trade would have surfaced in the offseason.

I mentioned a few weeks ago his comments about wanting to score in front of Lee and Vlad which means he expects to bat behind BROB.

Bats eighth, gets a hit (not a walk obviously), 9th hitter gets out, BRob singles, Nick walks, and BAM he's ready to score in front of Lee or Vlad!

Exactly. If the guy is a star, you can put up with comments like these, because you know he's going to perform on the field. Jones seems to think he's a star, even if he's the only one. I wonder how he'll handle hitting down in the bottom third of the lineup. Hopefully he uses it as motivation to work harder and be a more productive hitter, but more likely he'll just spend his time whining and complaining. Which would have worked with Trembley (see: Melvin Mora), but won't with Buck, I don't think.

I highly doubt he'll get traded, even if he keeps this up, but I wouldn't mind seeing it. It's certainly not as simple as just giving the job to Pie, considering he's been injury prone and very inconsistent at the plate.

The thing with trading Jones is this. You have Pie ready to start in CF. If he gets hurt, you still have Winn and Angle that could fill in for a short time. Its not ideal, and these guys' production won't equal Jones, but if you can get a top of the rotation starter by trading Jones, you might have to consider it. The guy is getting an ego WAY before he has earned one.

I see a lot of varying opinions on here based on a summary of an interview. Does anyone have a transcript?

I'm not the biggest Jones fan, but he's got a lot of talent, and to be honest, I think he can be a young leader on this team. I like the fact that he's being vocal, but he may be taking shots at the one guy I wouldn't take a shot at.

I like the confidence too, but if he doesn't listen to advice, his "floor" is that of an average CF'er. That's not bad, but unless he plays GG caliber defense his offensive stats are pretty underwhelming. I'm more torn on Adam Jones than any other Oriole.

Add this to the fact that he doesn't listen to the coaches advice on where he should be positioned in the outfield, and the fact that in 3 years he has yet to learn to lay off the down and out slider, and I am starting to have some major concerns with this guy.

I agree the Buck stuff probably gets a bit annoying after a while, but two things Jones needs to remember. 1) Buck is his boss, so even if he doesn;t agree with the media frenzy, he better learn to respect his boss and keep his mouth shut if he doesn't have anything nice to say. 2) Jones isn't as good as Jones thinks he is.

There was a report out last week that the Royals were looking for a Jones-esque type player. Well, lets see if they want Jones

3) The media knows controversy sells newspapers and will seek to uncover it whenever and wherever possible. At times, they will help to create the environment to allow the story to grow.

If Jones is coloring outside the line that Showalter has drawn for this team, I'm sure Jones will be playing somewhere else eventually.

Meh, I don't think the guy is ever going to be the superstar we had hoped for but he will contribute nicely to a winning team. Something tells me that he will be listening to the coaches about positioning this year. I think he has much more respect for the coaches than this thread intimates. From what was said earlier, Jones and all of the players, were answering all kinds of questions about Buck and he finally became fed up yesterday. That is when the SI article and the interview happened. I just think this is overblown. I also don't think Jones is going anywhere unless we can get a pretty nice haul.

I see a lot of varying opinions on here based on a summary of an interview. Does anyone have a transcript?

I'm not the biggest Jones fan, but he's got a lot of talent, and to be honest, I think he can be a young leader on this team. I like the fact that he's being vocal, but he may be taking shots at the one guy I wouldn't take a shot at.

I like the confidence too, but if he doesn't listen to advice, his "floor" is that of an average CF'er. That's not bad, but unless he plays GG caliber defense his offensive stats are pretty underwhelming. I'm more torn on Adam Jones than any other Oriole.

Is he taking a shot at Buck? Or is he taking a shot at all the reporters that can't think of anything original to ask?

Archived