Jones interview on Fox45

O'sFan

I can see where Jones is coming from, it really seems like a large part of the talk about the team is about Showalter. While I am a huge Buck supporter and love what he has done for the team, the players got to get love too. Most of the interviews I've seen with the players contain questions about Buck, so naturally it would get a little old.

Also, Jones really reminds me of a Torii Hunter type and according to baseball-reference.com, the 2 most similar players to him through the age of 24 are Chili Davis and Dave Winfield, which is awesome. I do not at all support trading him, he's gonna play a huge role for this team.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jones better get used to it. If the O's are successful this year, the media will continue to bring up how Showalter has turned this team around. It will continue to be the main story line.

If the starting rotation is great, they will be recognized, but the main story will be how Showalter came in and gave them confidence.

If the O's score many runs, it will be that Showalter's 2010 success caused AM to bring in the good hitters to complement the current hitters and make the lineup more powerful.

The credit will be spread around, but Showalter will still get the majority of the credit.

Is he taking a shot at Buck? Or is he taking a shot at all the reporters that can't think of anything original to ask?

I'm also curious if this is something that Buck's actually saying in the locker room.

He seems to be known for being a motivator. What if he's back there and saying to these guys, I'm just filling a lineup card. Remember you're the ones who make it happen. Maybe he's not saying anything like that at all. But if it turned out that Buck was the one who was out there trying to build confidence and get these guys to stand up for themselves I might not be surprised.

I'd be more comforted if Jones was also saying this when Trembley and Samuel were losing like crazy. But I think Buck could have a hand in Jones thinking this way.

Jones does have a point, it is the players who played better once Buck arrived. But someone should ask Jones, if it was the players who started winning, what happened during the first 100 games of the season?
If it's the players who played when Buck came here, it was also the players who didn't play, before Buck.....:scratchchinhmm: If Buck didn't have anything to do with it then neither did DT.

Last night on SportsExtra they had some comments from Jones on how he thinks the season will play out. He seemed pretty disturbed and made comments about how he is tired of hearing about Showalter and that Buck didn't throw the ball or catch the ball or hit the ball during the team's strong finish last year. He basically said that Buck just filled out the lineup card. Did anyone else catch this or is this something old.

How is this statement significantly different than what Buck says all the time. No question it was probably better left unsaid but really who cares. I am sure the players are tired of hearing it. I think most (and honestly I cant remember if Jones was one or not) said the same thing when Trembley got fired, yet people thought that was virtuous.

Jones is clearly showing his respect for Showalter by saying these comments. That may seem hard to believe, but it's true. Showalter himself says the same things Jones does, and Adam is just reiterating them. Buck wants the focus on the players, and Adam is vocally agreeing with this concept. If anything, I think it shows he is listening to Showalter very, very closely, and taking everything he says to heart.

Is he taking a shot at Buck? Or is he taking a shot at all the reporters that can't think of anything original to ask?

I agree with this. I also didn't see the piece, but are we sure it wasn't recycled? I heard a Wieters sound bite this morning on WBAL which most could've thought was from yesterday if they didn't know any better, but it was actually from the time of Fanfest. Are we sure he's even said this multiple times?

If Jones' attitude is a problem, Buck will deal with it.

I don't have an issue with what Jones has said no matter how many times he has said it.

Would you prefer he say, "We don't need to work hard because Buck's presence alone will help us win."? I'd much rather have him sound accountable for his play and the team's results.

I can see where Jones is coming from, it really seems like a large part of the talk about the team is about Showalter. While I am a huge Buck supporter and love what he has done for the team, the players got to get love too. Most of the interviews I've seen with the players contain questions about Buck, so naturally it would get a little old.

Also, Jones really reminds me of a Torii Hunter type and according to baseball-reference.com, the 2 most similar players to him through the age of 24 are Chili Davis and Dave Winfield, which is awesome. I do not at all support trading him, he's gonna play a huge role for this team.

I am in agreement with you here. If I was a ballplayer who had a tough first half and a much improved second half, I think I too would tire quickly of all the credit going to someone who never took the field. I don't think that AJ is taking a shot at Showalter here, as much as he is likely offended by the reporting that the only reason that any of the players ever got any better was Buck. I wouldn't take that well, and I am sure that there are a lot of others on the team who would have liked to echo his sentiments. Who would want their manager to get all the credit for their good work, in any field?

I am not a fan of this "Jones has an ego" stuff. In most interviews that I have seen him in, he comes across as smart, humble and articulate. He doesn't give a cheap soundbyte like most players, and will in fact answer a question. If it is a silly or repetitive question, he will say so, as he is doing here. I have zero problem with this. Furthermore, I believe these attributes make him a natural-born leader.

Just because a guy has trouble laying off sliders doesn't mean he is stubborn. This is a difficult skill. Many guys go their whole careers without mastering it. Pitch recognition, unfortunately, is not always a skill that can be taught.

There is a lot of unsubstantiated inuendo flying around here. Unless you know the guy personally, I think it's a good idea to let him be instead of piecing together anecdotal evidence.

Buck deflecting credit from himself is one thing. Adam Jones deflecting credit from Buck is another thing. The pitching was great after Buck arrived. Coincidence? Maybe. But that's the way it happened.

:agree:

Just because I may do all the work doesn't mean I am gonna preach during a meeting that my Manager just signs the paperwork. That is career suicide.

In the words of the Rock..."Hey Jonesie....know your role...and shut your mouth!"

I am not a fan of this "Jones has an ego" stuff. In most interviews that I have seen him in, he comes across as smart, humble and articulate. He doesn't give a cheap soundbyte like most players, and will in fact answer a question. If it is a silly or repetitive question, he will say so, as he is doing here. I have zero problem with this. Furthermore, I believe these attributes make him a natural-born leader.

Just because a guy has trouble laying off sliders doesn't mean he is stubborn. This is a difficult skill. Many guys go their whole careers without mastering it. Pitch recognition, unfortunately, is not always a skill that can be taught.

There is a lot of unsubstantiated inuendo flying around here. Unless you know the guy personally, I think it's a good idea to let him be instead of piecing together anecdotal evidence.

Agree with everything you say. I don't get why there is always so much hatred for Jones on here. Even normally even-keeled posters will drop in the Jones hate whenever he does something that isn't the way it should be done. Let's see how much he improves this year before we go trading him away.

Agree with everything you say. I don't get why there is always so much hatred for Jones on here. Even normally even-keeled posters will drop in the Jones hate whenever he does something that isn't the way it should be done. Let's see how much he improves this year before we go trading him away.

I can't speak for the others, but I certainly don't hate Jones and would in no way "give him away." I am "concerned" about his attitude (or perceived attitude) and would trade him IF we can get a good deal. He is certainly not some untouchable.

Archived