MacPhail on trade possibilities

bird watcher

But the problem is he will get more time in left than in center. Agreed? And thus far he has not impressed me in left.

As for Jones, saying someone is better than Jones isn't saying a whole lot. WHY does he continue to play so shallow? He wa standing about 40 feet behind the second base bag last night. What the heck?

They mentioned that tonight. End of last year he moved back (finally) but they said this spring he's back to playing very shallow.

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would prefer if Angle made the team.

This is just opinions I've picked up on here... I'm NO scout... Angle is ML ready already on defense. His hitting is what needs proved. He has a few hits this spring, and SBs I think, but he's still young.

EDIT: What I meant to convey... he probably ends up a VERY weak bat to carry on the bench yet.

They mentioned that tonight. End of last year he moved back (finally) but they said this spring he's back to playing very shallow.

When Jones got here after the trade someone messed up and told him the best centerfielder the Orioles ever had was Paul Blair and Jones thought to himself. "I can do that. I can be the best CF in Oriole history"

Problem is........he cant. Frankly Mr. Jones your are no Paul Blair!

This is just opinions I've picked up on here... I'm NO scout... Angle is ML ready already on defense. His hitting is what needs proved. He has a few hits this spring, and SBs I think, but he's still young.

EDIT: What I meant to convey... he probably ends up a VERY weak bat to carry on the bench yet.

But between him and Winn I would prefer Angle. I am not a fan of Winn and would rather have Angle's + defense and base stealing ability on the bench.

But between him and Winn I would prefer Angle. I am not a fan of Winn and would rather have Angle's + defense and base stealing ability on the bench.

I agree.

When it comes right down to it, we aren't going to be doing a lot of pinch hitting anyway with this starting lineup.

I'm leaning with you... but I'm a little prejudiced by Winn's lazy gaffe yesterday. And that just one play in ST. Winn has a definite track record already.

When Jones got here after the trade someone messed up and told him the best centerfielder the Orioles ever had was Paul Blair and Jones thought to himself. "I can do that. I can be the best CF in Oriole history"

Problem is........he cant. Frankly Mr. Jones your are no Paul Blair!

He could be one of the best CFers in O's history.

Relax and let Buck and the coaches take care of it.

There is way too much hate for Adam Jones...

If anyone heard his interview last night on MASN you heard him discussing the jam in the outfield and that "unfortunately Pie is out of options". He was talking about Reimold and Pie duking it out for the final spot. He then went on to say something like- but you never know who might have needs in their outfield later on in spring training.

I am not usually one to jump on quotes but he sounded pretty interested in finding a suitor for Pie so that he could keep Reimold on the roster. He didn't mention needing that 4th OF to be able to handle CF.

If anyone else heard it or has a transcript of it, that would be great.

I have always thought that Markakis would suffice as a backup CF if it came to keeping a revitalized Reimold or a struggling Pie. Of course if Pie suddenly finds himself and Reimold doesn't (not likely in my opinion) then all bets are off.

I doubt MacPhail ships Pie anywhere. He's his pet player.

I think you'll see Reimold or even Scott traded.

He could be one of the best CFers in O's history.

Relax and let Buck and the coaches take care of it.

There is way too much hate for Adam Jones...

No one is hating on Jones. We are simply stating a point that the coaches have asked him to play deeper, and yet he continues to play where he wants. If you had watched the game last night, you would have seen him playing where a short fielder routinely plays in softball...that's how shallow he was.

I doubt MacPhail ships Pie anywhere. He's his pet player.

I think you'll see Reimold or even Scott traded.

I disagree. MacPhail has built a team this year that he thinks can play competitive ball. If he thinks he can get a good deal for Pie, he will trade him to make the team better. There is no way he trades Scott just to be able to keep Reimold and Pie.

No one is hating on Jones. We are simply stating a point that the coaches have asked him to play deeper, and yet he continues to play where he wants. If you had watched the game last night, you would have seen him playing where a short fielder routinely plays in softball...that's how shallow he was.

Trembley's coaches asked him to play deeper.

If Willie Randolph and Wayne Kirby tell him to play deeper you might see a different result.

I'm sure Buck and his coaching staff won't let him "get away" with anything.

I disagree. MacPhail has built a team this year that he thinks can play competitive ball. If he thinks he can get a good deal for Pie, he will trade him to make the team better. There is no way he trades Scott just to be able to keep Reimold and Pie.

Agree with this. MacPhail (or any other GM) doesn't have pets. Bedard would have been the BEST kind of pet to have and he traded him. It's all about what he can get back. If the deal works you pull the trigger.

We'll see. MacPhail's had plenty of time to kick Pie to the curb before and he hasn't yet.

Reimold, however he was ready to trade for Jason Bartlett, so he's less shy about dealing him IMO.

My guess is teams would want Reimold more than they would want Pie, so the Orioles would have a better chance to land another SP for a package around Nolan than Pie.

Pie may be kept just because he's the least valuable of the two.

The quote that got my attention last night was from Palmer, quoting John Stockstill that "Matt Angle will play major league ball...maybe not as a starter, but he has the skills to play."

This is almost exactly what Tony has said, that Angle has the fielding, speed, and baseball awareness to at least be a #4 outfielder.

This tells me that they'd be comfortable having Angle at Norfolk to step in at CF in case of a DL-type injury to Jones. Which means that Pie becomes that much more expendable.

Archived