Jones growing up, calming down

O's are Legends

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So, is Britt one of the 750 best writers in the United States?

It's easy to pick at Jones's flaws. They're real. He's still a very good ballplayer who has the chance to get better. Or perhaps you'd like to go back to Luis Matos, or even CPat? Jones has a very good chance to be one of the top 5 CF's in Orioles history.

He'd like Pie.

What performance? The guy has a great arm, positions himself poorly, gets poor jumps, has a limited range. Hit's for occasional power, decent BA, has poor pitch recognition and can't get on base. How about a little more humility. You'd think he thinks he's the second coming Willy Mays. He's tired of hearing about Buck? I'm tired of hearing about him.

He's still a pretty good player though. No need to make the "rounding error". He may improve and become elite, or he may just end up being pretty good. Still, no need to bash him. And I like that he has an edge to him. A clubhouse can't be full of guys who are "quiet" and walk the walk as you say.

He's still a pretty good player though. No need to make the "rounding error". He may improve and become elite, or he may just end up being pretty good. Still, no need to bash him. And I like that he has an edge to him. A clubhouse can't be full of guys who are "quiet" and walk the walk as you say.

You could have 25 guys who graduated from the Cal Ripken school of interviewing, where controversy and anything slightly interesting are strictly verboten. That is, if you didn't mind the fanbase skewing heavily towards 60 Minutes territory.

What did PT Barnum say about the birth of suckers. There's a diference between hype and performance. But it seems like hype wins out almost always. I give Jones credit for creating the impression that he is better than he really is. And I agree he's a good ballplayer, just not nearly as good as his self promoting press. I loved Ali, and Jones' mouth can't hold a candle to his. The diference is Ali really was the greatest.

It comes down to the fact Jones still has major flaws in his game that the OH type fan can easily see.

I think I have much more problems with his defense than his swinging at most low and away sliders.

That article was a clever way of detailing several major personality issues without being too harsh on him.

Big year for him.

What did PT Barnum say about the birth of suckers. There's a diference between hype and performance. But it seems like hype wins out almost always. I give Jones credit for creating the impression that he is better than he really is. And I agree he's a good ballplayer, just not nearly as good as his self promoting press. I loved Ali, and Jones' mouth can't hold a candle to his. The diference is Ali really was the greatest.

I know you are pissed that he is blocking your boy Pie from playing time, but lets be real for a second. When has he actually said he was great? What does he do in the press that over hypes himself? God forbid that we have a young promising player that is vocal.

You nitpik every thing about him, if he is not perfect in any way, you will call him out.

You make me hate Pie and I hate that. Its awful.

I know you are pissed that he is blocking your boy Pie from playing time, but lets be real for a second. When has he actually said he was great? What does he do in the press that over hypes himself? God forbid that we have a young promising player that is vocal.

You nitpik every thing about him, if he is not perfect in any way, you will call him out.

If I were a young player on this team I would look up to Roberts (even though he's short) Nick, DLee, Guthrie Wieters, and Hardy before I'd think of looking up to Jones, as he seems to think, from Britts article, the young players do. The guys I mentioned strike me as going about their business the right way and it seems to really be about the team for them. I always get the impression it's more about Jones then it is the team with him. Why am I reading so much more stuff about him then I am those other guys? They are the better players IMO. They just aren't working so hard to sell themselves.

It's easy to pick at Jones's flaws. They're real. He's still a very good ballplayer who has the chance to get better. Or perhaps you'd like to go back to Luis Matos, or even CPat? Jones has a very good chance to be one of the top 5 CF's in Orioles history.

Good or very good are relative terms. Is he good compared to me as a player of course, but in the context of MLB players he is average. Im rooting for him, but I am afraid he might not ever be more then average.

I thought I mentioned his strengths as well. I said he has a great arm, hits for a decent BA and occasional power. What did I miss to make you think I was simply picking at his flaws. I just find his self promotion annoying in the face of his limitations.

I see Buck's personality and Jones' personality in direct conflict, and while I don't think Buck would let personality dictate managerial decisions, I wonder what sort of influence Jones has on the rest of the team. That article subtley painted Jones as an outsider. If the team goes one way this season, and Jones goes his own way, I wonder how long Buck would tolerate it. I think there is an off-chance we see a Showalter vs. Jones war this year if things go poorly for the team (or if things go poorly for Jones...I still see Jones as a guy who could completely lose it at the plate, or, a guy who could find it. Neither .650 OPS nor .900 OPS would particularly surprise me for Jones.)

I thought I mentioned his strengths as well. I said he has a great arm, hits for a decent BA and occasisonal power. What did I miss to make you think I was simply picking at his flaws. I just find his self promotion annoying a=in the face of his limitations.

Oh, I don't know, the fact that you emphasize his flaws at every opportunity and rarely (and grudgingly) mention his strengths. Really, the only good things you can come up with are his arm and "decent BA and occasisonal power"? I tend to think a guy who's just turning 25 with three above-average MLB seasons under his belt as a little more than that. Last three years combined he's 7th among MLB center fielders in overall value, he probably has several years of growth left in him, and you can't stop talking about how overrated he his, how he needs to change positions, how Pie is a far better player, etc.

And as for Jones' self promotion, if you didn't closely follow the Orioles I doubt you'd have any idea. The guy has a Twitter account and suddenly he's Ali with a 5:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio? Seems like a tremendous stretch.

Oh, I don't know, the fact that you emphasize his flaws at every opportunity and rarely (and grudgingly) mention his strengths. Really, the only good things you can come up with are his arm and "decent BA and occasisonal power"? I tend to think a guy who's just turning 25 with three above-average MLB seasons under his belt as a little more than that. Last three years combined he's 7th among MLB center fielders in overall value, he probably has several years of growth left in him, and you can't stop talking about how overrated he his, how he needs to change positions, how Pie is a far better player, etc.

And as for Jones' self promotion, if you didn't closely follow the Orioles I doubt you'd have any idea. The guy has a Twitter account and suddenly he's Ali with a 5:1 strikeout-to-walk ratio? Seems like a tremendous stretch.

Like what? Besides his arm, his 270ish BA and his .425 SLG what other attributes do you see? Oh I know, someday he's going to be Torii Hunter. When is that day coming? As to his mouth and the press, what's the first thing you remember about the guy? He shot his mouth off to the press, and nearly got himself untraded.

What do you expect from the guy who thinks that Markakis should be playing 1B?

Archived