Q & A with MacPhail

8ripken2131

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think that this franchise is in a position just to categorically reject anything without considering it

Which tells me they are shopping him

We've already had sort of preliminary conversations on an [extension] with his representative, but nothing specific

Words like sort of an nothing specific jump out at me.

He was nothing specific in the whole interview though.

If we're trading Bedard, it makes little sense to trade for Bay. Similar ages, similarly close to arb, similarly late bloomers...no thanks. We need to get younger and cheaper, and Bay is a slight step in the wrong direction, IMO.

I really like that we're probably trading Bedard. Can't say the same about Penn and Liz. It makes zero sense to trade either of those guys if the idea is to build around cheap young pitching. Zero sense.

If we're trading Bedard, it makes little sense to trade for Bay. Similar ages, similarly close to arb, similarly late bloomers...no thanks. We need to get younger and cheaper, and Bay is a slight step in the wrong direction, IMO.

I really like that we're probably trading Bedard. Can't say the same about Penn and Liz. It makes zero sense to trade either of those guys if the idea is to build around cheap young pitching. Zero sense.

To be fair, you really can't say it makes zero sense if you don't know the whole story behind shopping these players. We can still build around cheap young pitching and trade some of it for other pieces. It really all depends on what the team does as a whole with the trades this offseason. We could very well be aquiring some young arms as well.

I like Jason Bay. I'm not crazy about trading Penn & Liz for him, but he would fit the bill of the left fielder we've been clamoring for for like 38 years now.

Curious how all the trade talk jives with AM's "pitching and defense" mantra. It'd take some young pitching to score Jason Bay, who's an adequate but not spectacular defender.

If we trade Bedard and Tejada, we'll instantly be younger, cheaper and prone to improvement instead of decline, which is where I believe we are now. That said, we might take it on the chin next season.

I'll be much more interested than I was this year, though.

Yeah, count me on the Pro-Bay bandwagon too. An outfield of Bay, Pie, and Markakis, would be the best outfield we've had in ages.

Archived