Machado injured?

tywright

Britt just tweeted that'd the results from the MRI should be available shortly, but that the O's don't think it's serious and that he'd likely be out for 3-7 days.

Well WTF???? I don't like that they haven't announced the results. A major knee injury would be suck a freakin blow!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well WTF???? I don't like that they haven't announced the results. A major knee injury would be suck a freakin blow!

They don't know the results yet. The MRI was taken in North Carolina but the team orthopedist in Baltimore was going to review the data this evening.

They don't know the results yet. The MRI was taken in North Carolina but the team orthopedist in Baltimore was going to review the data this evening.

Alright thanks Frobby. I guess I am a little panicked because I am sick of the O's being so freakin snake bit!

Machado placed on 7-day DL with a Patellar Suluxation. He will see Dr. Wilkins on Monday or Tuesday. The Orioles are hoping it's about a seven day injury but reading up on this particular injury it could be more complicated, especially since this injury has a high rate of re-occurrence. At least it's not an ACL.

Machado placed on 7-day DL with a Patellar Suluxation. He will see Dr. Wilkins on Monday or Tuesday. The Orioles are hoping it's about a seven day injury but reading up on this particular injury it could be more complicated, especially since this injury has a high rate of re-occurrence. At least it's not an ACL.

I assume the organization is going to be ultra protective of their most valuable MiL asset. Agreed you have to be concerned with the overall stability of the knee for the immediate future.

The MRI and second opinion confirmed it was a Patellar Suluxation (dislocated kneecap). The hope is that Machado will be back and ready to play by mid-week next week (May 17th timetable).

Just to clarify... A subluxation is a "dislocation" that relocates itself. Meaning it pops back in place without any professional having to put it back into place. A "true" dislocation is when a joint pops out of place and has to be relocated by a professional. When that happens there is typically more damage done. Honestly if he did sublux the patella I will be surprised if he is only out 7 days considering how young he is. This is something that taping and bracing can help along with strengthening the medial aspects of the thigh muscles. It is something that could linger for some time in the future. I treat wrestlers, soccer players and X-Country runners commonly with this injury. If it happens repeatedly by a certain age (below 25) he will need reconstructive knee surgery and that is usually a 6-9 month rehab process. That is the worst case senario and even then most athletes will then return to pre-level abilities. If he was a soccer, football, or basketball player I would be much more concerned. Take it as you want.

Just to clarify... A subluxation is a "dislocation" that relocates itself. Meaning it pops back in place without any professional having to put it back into place. A "true" dislocation is when a joint pops out of place and has to be relocated by a professional. When that happens there is typically more damage done. Honestly if he did sublux the patella I will be surprised if he is only out 7 days considering how young he is. This is something that taping and bracing can help along with strengthening the medial aspects of the thigh muscles. It is something that could linger for some time in the future. I treat wrestlers, soccer players and X-Country runners commonly with this injury. If it happens repeatedly by a certain age (below 25) he will need reconstructive knee surgery and that is usually a 6-9 month rehab process. That is the worst case senario and even then most athletes will then return to pre-level abilities. If he was a soccer, football, or basketball player I would be much more concerned. Take it as you want.

Thanks for the explanation. He was injured on the 5th, and according to Tony's post he will return on about the 17th, so that's more like 12 days, not 7 (though I assume he'd be doing some baeball-related activities for a few days before playing in a game). Does that seem more reasonable?

Thanks for the explanation. He was injured on the 5th, and according to Tony's post he will return on about the 17th, so that's more like 12 days, not 7 (though I assume he'd be doing some baeball-related activities for a few days before playing in a game). Does that seem more reasonable?

Much more reasonable. I am making the assumption that this is his first injury. The normal plan would be immediate PT for decreasing swelling and pain, medial strengthening. Then progressing to tape and or a "J" brace for lateral knee cap (patella) support. If doing good then utilize same brace/taping with sports related activities. Final step is to return to playing. Now the steps can go quickly, or he may get stuck at the sports specific training. As stated by others, I bet as great as he was doing and how much we are depending on his progression the team will go slowly with him. Does that help?

Archived