New Coach Search

Any other Md boards to keep up on?

I was kind of wondering that too. I'm surprised at the lack of conversations on here about GW's retirement and the search for a new coach. The interest from Hangouters appears to be slim.

There use to be some great conversation in this area of OH. Of course two of the most prominent posters on the Terps were Mackus and LJ.

• Replies 321
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Did KA screw this up too? Did he not offer him enough money? Something went real wrong on our end. Its really terrible being a fan of any MD sports teams.

I don't think so. KA identified who he wanted quickly and made his best play. Despite some media reports, I don't think it was an obvious choice for Miller. I can certainly see why he chose to stay at Arz. But how KA proceeds from here will ultimately determine how he is judged on this hire. His choice of football coaches was underwhelming, but that's because he passed over a coach who would have energized the fanbase much more. In this instance, he may have no other choice but to settle. But I don't blame Anderson for that....had this happened about a month ago we might have been better off.

I'm seriously asking but weren't we pretty much led to believe that the paper work was a mere formality and we would have potentially the best coach for the position. It didn't sound like it could fail and was pretty much fool proof.

I'm seriously asking but weren't we pretty much led to believe that the paper work was a mere formality and we would have potentially the best coach for the position. It didn't sound like it could fail and was pretty much fool proof.

But who led you to believe that? Kevin Anderson? I don't think so. Now if it was he or one of his staff that leaked "news" like what was reported on ESPN 980 this morning, then yeah, he deserves to be skewered. But more likely it was a bunch of "unnamed sources" who actually didn't know much more than you or I. With the internet and social media giving just about anyone who wants to make up stories a platform nowadays, it's hard to keep this sort of thing from happening.

Tweets from Seth Davis:

The timing of Gary Williams' retirement has really put Maryland in a bind. Just a tough time of year to get a big name coach

said I'd be surprised if Sean Miller took the Maryland job. I'll be even more surprised if Mike Brey takes it. Stevens would be a shock.

Tubby Smith is better possibility but that still won't be easy. Shaka and Mooney are more realistic but will prob will be none of the above

Are they pushing for Jay Wright?

He would probbaly do fine...But he isn't anyone to scare you either.

If I were a MD fan, I would rather have Tubby Smith.

I couldn't disagree more. Tubby has been mediocre at Minnesota. He's in his 60's. IMO, Smith is nothing more than a big name at this juncture.

Brey has great relationships with a lot of the key Maryland schools that feed top recruits to top programs. Brey can't get those guys at Notre Dame, but could get them at Maryland. I think he'd be a good choice, although it's just not as "sexy" as some of the other candidates.

I couldn't disagree more. Tubby has been mediocre at Minnesota. He's in his 60's. IMO, Smith is nothing more than a big name at this juncture.

Brey has great relationships with a lot of the key Maryland schools that feed top recruits to top programs. Brey can't get those guys at Notre Dame, but could get them at Maryland. I think he'd be a good choice, although it's just not as "sexy" as some of the other candidates.

First of all, Smith is 59.

Secondly, when he came to Minnesota, they were coming off of a 9 win season. The next season, they won 20 games and lost to MD in the NIT.

The next year, they won 22 games and lost to Texas in first round of NCAAs.

Last year it was 21 wins and a loss to Xavier in the first round and last year, they only won 17 games.

Tubby has basically made Minnesota what MD has been...A bubble team.

But he took over a program that was screwed up and its tough to recruit to Minnesota.

He is from this area and knows how to coach. He is probably a better coach than Brey.

Now, he doesn't have longetivity but if you aren't going to get one of the good young coaches, then go for the guy that can propel your program up a notch and leave it for someone to take over in very good shape.

Maybe Brey can also do that but I would go with the better, more established coach.

Archived