How would YOU fix/improve the Orioles, going forward?

Greg Pappas

This season:

1. Extend Guthrie. He looks like the kind of guy who will be able to continue to pitch well as he ages. He's extremely underrated and as a result he should come as a bargain in any negotiations. We can always deal him after we sign him assuming the deal is a good one. He's our best starter and I don't believe he will bring back enough value in trade relative to his value to the O's as a starter.

I think extending Guthrie is a little pre-mature. The O's have to see where they are in July and at the end of the year. Guthrie may be the O's player that is the toughest negotiator. He actually likes the contracts game. He will hold out for what he thinks he is worth. The O's may be in a position at the end of this year that Guthrie is the 4th best starter. If that happens then the O's may want to trade him for younger talent. Its really too early to know.

2. Deal Luke Scott at the trade deadline. I think Scott is a classic addition by subtraction guy. He's got to be one of the least productive power hitters in the history of the game in terms of actually contributing to wins. I'd like to have a hitter in LF who can consistently produce for this team, even if they don't hit 20+ HRs and I don't believe Scott is that guy. Let Pie and Reimold get the bulk of the at bats in left and see if either can distinguish themselves.

The real question here is where are the O's in the standing in late July. If the O's are in contention they can't trade him. I can't see Luke in LF next year because of his shoulder problems and the surgery that he is facing. That makes Luke competing for the DH position next year vs whether Vlad would resign. Too early to tell on that one too. It's really a question of whether another team would offer something good for him? and when?

3. Extend Hardy for a couple of years. He's in a slump right now, but I like him as an interim solution while we wait for Machado. Hardy is another guy who should come at a discount because of his recent injury history and if he's playing well, he'll be easy to move in trade if/when we need to open a spot for Manny.

I'd wait. Health? Production? Who else will be available?

4. Extend Koji Uehara. Instead of throwing more money at guys like Gonzalez and Gregg, lets pay the guy who's actually performed for us. Koji is the type of guy who should have several more quality years ahead of him and he's been absolute money as a reliever.

Koji already has a vesting option for 2012. That is enough of a commitment for now.

5. Extend Wieters. Given the slow start to his career offensively, Wieters is likely to never be less expensive to extend than he is now. He's already a Gold Glove defensive catcher and his bat is coming around and he may explode as a hitter as he matures, but if the O's wait until he becomes a bona-fide All-Star (which I believe is right around the corner) the price tag will skyrocket from there.

It will take at least the 7 for 80M contract that Gonzalez got from the Rockies. I would certain try to tie Wieters up for several years past his free agency date. The question is will he and Boras do it.

6. Move Tillman to the pen. Tillman seems to be reasonably effective over 3 to 5 innings, but he's failed to show the ability to go beyond 5 innings as a starter. The O's need a guy who can effectively pitch multiple innings in relief every few days and Tillman may be that guy.

I'd leave Tillman in the rotation for now. He is developing nicely.

7. Clean out the bullpen behind Uehara, Gregg and Johnson and go with some of the youngsters who are pitching lights out at Bowie. I'd like to see McCurry, Klein, Diaz, Viola and Johnson get shots with the O's instead of running retreads like Accardo, Rapada, Rupe and Jakubauskas out there. Watching Pedro Beato pitch effectively out of the pen for the Mets and seeing other teams building effective bullpens primarily with untried minor league arms makes me believe the O's should attempt to do the same thing.

There needs to be change here. Bergy and Simon are guys to watch. Berken may be back. Would like to see the guys at AA move to AAA before they get a try in the majors.

8. Give Ryan Adams a real shot at supplanting Brian Roberts at 2b. I don't believe Andino is a long term solution at 2nd, but Adams seems to have the offensive ability to produce at the major league level and could be the long term solution there, assuming he can play even average defense. Put Andino back in the utility role and give Adams more playing time at 2nd while BRob is not available.

I can see Andino and Adams sharing time at 2B until BRob is back. Its BRob position if he is healthy enough to play it.

9. Stick with Mark Reynolds at 3b regardless of his struggles. We need to see if this guy can adjust to the AL and get back to being an effective hitter. We need to make that determination this season and I think we need a full season's worth of evidence to be certain.

There is really no other choice then Reynolds until Bell shows he should get another shot and that has not happened. And may not for a while. Hopefully Reynolds improves as he gets familar with the league.

10. Don't panic! The O's are only 3 games under .500 and still very much in the running in the AL East. Once Matusz returns, the rotation will be a force to be reckoned with.

Thank you. Good to see someone that makes sense.

Here are my comments.

Nice post.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you're saying this year is the same as every other year? That the plan to grow a top-notch rotation is not working out?

No, I am saying that the talent level needed to contend in our division doesn't exist on this team.

You can be pollyanna about it if you choose to...that's fine.

But that's not reality.

Its not reality to believe this team can contend for the playoffs this year.

Probably not, but what are their realistic options? They're not going to get much more than the value of picks for most of the potential deadline guys - Lee, Hardy, Vlad, Koji. They're just not going to trade the core pitchers, or Wieters, Markakis, Roberts, Jones, Reynolds. So realistically, the difference between blowing it up and staying the course is potential trades for Guthrie and Scott.

I'm not against trading one or both of them, but we'll have to wait and see what kind of return they'd bring.

Probably not, but what are their realistic options? They're not going to get much more than the value of picks for most of the potential deadline guys - Lee, Hardy, Vlad, Koji. They're just not going to trade the core pitchers, or Wieters, Markakis, Roberts, Jones, Reynolds. So realistically, the difference between blowing it up and staying the course is potential trades for Guthrie and Scott.

I'm not against trading one or both of them, but we'll have to wait and see what kind of return they'd bring.

So what? Let's say that is all they get...I would love to get 4-6 compensation/second round type guys into the system.

But yes, I agree that a lot of it comes down to Scott and especially Guthrie.

I also believe, as I have for years(but even moreso now), that we can make several trades and not really see much of a tail off in terms fo performance on the field unless we have injuries because the depth would no longer be there.

Trade Guthrie and Scott. Any improvements to the Orioles have to start there for me. Both are on the wrong side of 30, have their own sets of flaws, and are likely going to regress going forward. You have to move them before it's too late, and every season that passes that window of opportunity to get something of value for them closes a little bit. Improving the Orioles starts with moving these two players.

So what? Let's say that is all they get...I would love to get 4-6 compensation/second round type guys into the system.

That's what I'm saying - they'd probably be just as well off to keep those guys, hope they make a little run and play some meaningful August/September games, offer arb, and grab whateever picks they can. Unless they're in a freefall and the season is a totally lost cause I'd just as soon do that as make a deal. Even then, the reason they'd be in a freefall would probably be tied to those veterans, and reduce their trade value.

That's what I'm saying - they'd probably be just as well off to keep those guys, hope they make a little run and play some meaningful August/September games, offer arb, and grab whateever picks they can. Unless they're in a freefall and the season is a totally lost cause I'd just as soon do that as make a deal. Even then, the reason they'd be in a freefall would probably be tied to those veterans, and reduce their trade value.

Hardy should extended IMO.

Would Lee and Vlad turn down arbitration? And are they guaranteed to even be worth a pick?

Koji has an option, not draft pick eligible.

I would just assume trade them, save some money, guarantee yourself getting the talent and maybe signing more of the draft picks because of that saved money.

Read an article about how relievers are a crap shoot and paying for them after a good year is a fool's bargain. I can't recall where the article was printed. It was a decent read. Highlighted how the Rays allow their FA relievers to go. Not sure it is worthwhile to trade for relievers.

O's have a better track record acquiring relievers via the trade recently than via FA. Guys like Albers, Sherrill were traded for. I don't think that the Orioles need to trade for relievers 1 to 1, but get some guys tacked onto bigger trades. For example, a Guthrie trade in my mind would net: 1x top tier SP or Positional prospect, 1 B-level prospect, 1 or more relief pitchers. That's how it needs to be done.

Send Andy MacPhail packing and steal Brian Cashman from the Yankees

Sign Prince Fielder to a 7/175 contract

Sign Jose Reyes to a 5/90 contract - start him at SS in 2012-2013 and move him to 2B to take over for Roberts in 2014 when Machado is ready. In the meantime he can take over leadoff duties when Roberts is on the shelf in the final two years of his deal.

Those would be the three key moves of the offseason, with other moves such as a #3 starter, DH, 4th OFer and bullpen help to be made. But Cashman, Fielder and Reyes would make a statement and would be key components to the competitive Orioles teams of 2012-2015.

I have no doubt Cashman will also put an emphasis on international signings and won't be afraid to deal with the buscones to get the top talent so international amatuer scouting would be ramped up significantly in Latin America.

Look to try to steal scouts and coaches from organizations like the Rangers, Blue Jays and Red Sox that have found and developed lots of young talent and Cashman could probably lure some Yankees FO and scouting talent with him.

Cashman wouldn't be the worst choice. I think the evaluation of his performance in New York is a bit bearish based on his repuatation as a checkbook GM. I do think, however, that he knows the game, is a good negotiator, makes shrewd trades, and knows how to acquire amateur talent (even in years where their first round picks are lost due to FA signings).

I also know that his performance in a fiscally prudent organization would be a relative unknown.

That's the case every year...and every year I(and many others) have been shown to be right.

That this team always chooses the wrong direction.

So, I am fine with your little mutiny.

Everyone is right about some things every year. There's nothing special about you in that regard.

Here are my comments.

Nice post.

The devs should sticky your post as the example of how to offer counterpoints to another posters comments. Polite, well reasoned, worthwhile to read. No ego or chest thumping, just nicely thought out counterpoints to my original comments. Very refreshing and you've given me some new things to think about. This is the spirit of what OH should be about.

Long term we simply need to spend more money and time on the international/scouting/draft market.

Short term, hopefully Scott gets hot and we can move him. I would not move guts this year. I don't really need to see any more of Jabukus (if for nothing else than I cant spell his name), Rapada, Rupe, gonzo.

Everyone is right about some things every year. There's nothing special about you in that regard.

Never said there was anything special about it but feel free to spout your bs and put words in my mouth.

Its one thing to be right or wrong about this player or that player.

But when talking about the overall big picture, many people have hoped and believed a ton of unrealistic things when it comes to the direction of this team and where they are going.

That is the big picture being discussed in this thread that so many people are failing to see and have failed to see for years.

Being positive and pollyanna is fine..There is nothing wrong with that.

But being unrealistic is poor and its a big reason this organization is in the awful state that it is in and has been for years.

I might get slammed for this but... Trade Brian Roberts. He has been the one good thing to watch the past few years but I think he may need a change of scenary' date=' not to quote Tejada. The orioles may need a change from him as well, he has never been a "winner". Maybe I am just jaded. Anyone agree we should trade him?[/quote']

Who wants him? Good luck finding a market.

Who wants him? Good luck finding a market.

Bigger question on BRob....Say a team calls us up, tells us they want him but we need to pay 60% of his contract and they are only willing to trade us 2 Steve Johnson level prospects...IE 2 guys that may be able to have a role for us but nothing major.

Are you making that deal?

Archived