Simple question. King Felix or Fielder?

El Gordo

Perhaps but the other AL East teams have the 3rd, 5th, 7th and 11th best offenses in baseball based on runs scored. The Orioles have the 21st ranked offense in that category.

The Orioles need a top 10 offense to compete in the AL East.

And yet we are 3.5 games out of first......and if the bull pen had not blown games to MFY and Bosucks....

Doesn't your post actually prove your point wrong? I agree that what the O's need is a big time offensive player. I just highly doubt that the return for Prince given the years and the money will be worth it. I think the contract would weigh the O's down.

ps...see what I just did? :)

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can forget about Fielder...its not happening..unless he can be had for a "bargain price".

Why? Our two biggest competitors for him have their 1B'men... the main repellent I see to getting this done is Prince not wanting to play here.

I highly doubt an NL team gives him anywhere close to what an AL team would give him (based on his health trajectory and having the DH).

No bargains here - my prediction is he goes to the Nats for 7/175.

Somebody like Alonso may not be able to come up and hit right away. Alonso would be preferable LT price wise, but he's likely not going to give you the instant impact with this core.

If you are going after Alonso, you might as well trade Markakis, Roberts, Guthrie, Scott, Reynolds etc and maybe even Adam Jones and build a new core for 2013 and beyond.

The problem is Buck Showalter is the wrong kind of manager for that kind of team.

I could see that happening with Fielder.

I disagree with you about Alonso or any other top first base prospect. They can come up and hit right away and even if they are "only" an 800ish OPS guy next year, you can still with that...but you would also need improvement from the existing players...and add at least 1 other bat.

Why? Our two biggest competitors for him have their 1B'men... the main repellent I see to getting this done is Prince not wanting to play here.

AM and PA aren't going to spend the money needed to acquire him. Its just not happening.

I really am not sure why people believe they will even remotely consider this.

AM and PA aren't going to spend the money needed to acquire him. Its just not happening.

I really am not sure why people believe they will even remotely consider this.

It's not that I believe it, I'm just not unlike a crack addict in that I keep thinking that maybe, just maybe one day they'll do what it takes. In reality, i'm sure you're right.

It's not that I believe it, I'm just not unlike a crack addict in that I keep thinking that maybe, just maybe one day they'll do what it takes. In reality, i'm sure you're right.

If Fielder was in great shape maybe they consider it...then again, if he was in great shape, everyone would be going after him and not have those long term concerns.

I think Jtrea makes a good prediction of where he ends up. With Strasburg back next year, Werth being signed to a big contract but getting older and Harper likely moving quickly through the system, they may view Fielder as a guy to put them over the top.

The thing about Fielder is that most people believe he needs to go to an AL team so that he can DH in 3-5 years.

If the NL that need a first baseman believe that and he is going to be an AL only team, that greatly reduces his bargaining power...but, as we saw with Werth, it only takes one team.

If Fielder was in great shape maybe they consider it...then again, if he was in great shape, everyone would be going after him and not have those long term concerns.

I think Jtrea makes a good prediction of where he ends up. With Strasburg back next year, Werth being signed to a big contract but getting older and Harper likely moving quickly through the system, they may view Fielder as a guy to put them over the top.

The thing about Fielder is that most people believe he needs to go to an AL team so that he can DH in 3-5 years.

If the NL that need a first baseman believe that and he is going to be an AL only team, that greatly reduces his bargaining power...but, as we saw with Werth, it only takes one team.

Yep and the Nats will be a threat to win the NL East next year if they get him.

Attendance will drop even further once the Nats start winning.

The Orioles have to start winning and soon - if for no more than franchise survival and to do that, they are going to need to make a big splash and get some big upgrades.

Either Fielder or Hernandez would qualify, but Fielder is more of a need given the lack of offensive depth in the system and players that we'll be able to draft.

Nah....Attendance isn't likely to fall much further than where it is now.

I would agree that the Orioles will really start feeling the pressure from the Nats though.

The Orioles have to start winning and soon - if for no more than franchise survival and to do that, they are going to need to make a big splash and get some big upgrades.

Either Fielder or Hernandez would qualify, but Fielder is more of a need given the lack of offensive depth in the system and players that we'll be able to draft.

The Nats won't compete with just that. They are pretty far away, and the NL East is very competitive. 35 HRs and a pulled pork sandwich at 1B won't get you contention. Ah I mean vegan pork.

The Nats won't compete with just that. They are pretty far away, and the NL East is very competitive. 35 HRs and a pulled pork sandwich at 1B won't get you contention. Ah I mean vegan pork.

You forget they'll have Bryce Harper as well in their OF.

Fielder and Harper would significantly upgrade the core of that offense over the next 5 years.

Yea, they would need more and NL East is quietly becoming close to the AL East.

That being said, Jtrea said they would be a threat to win the Nl East and if Straburg comes back 100% and is pitching as well as he was, then I think that is an accurate statement...notice the word threat. I still think they would only be the 3rd or 4th best team in the division but they would be a very competitive team.

However, I think it is more accurate to say they would be greatly improved next year and that 2013 would be when they are a true threat to win the division.

Yea, they would need more and NL East is quietly becoming close to the AL East.

That being said, Jtrea said they would be a threat to win the Nl East and if Straburg comes back 100% and is pitching as well as he was, then I think that is an accurate statement...notice the word threat. I still think they would only be the 3rd or 4th best team in the division but they would be a very competitive team.

However, I think it is more accurate to say they would be greatly improved next year and that 2013 would be when they are a true threat to win the division.

Yeah, I agree with this. The NL East is stacked though, the Braves will only get better, and the Phillies are an elite team. I do think that the Nats could be in the thick of things in two seasons. They have a decent core they just have terrible players surrounding that core (the core here includes the prospects who will soon be there).

Hernandez. I'll take Felix/Matusz/Britton to the bank against anyone.

I had completely forgotten about Darvish. The interesting thing about this whole debate is that there are relatively few teams in need of a 1B that have the fiscal resources to acquire Fielder. We'd be competing against the Cubs, Angels, and Nats realistically. Boston/NYY doesn't need a 1B.

Machado/Arrietta for Felix, sign Fielder and go to work.

Push Bergesen/Tillman to the pen, move up Klein and fill a half serviceable pen and you have a team that's poised to win the wild card and challenge for the division. Pitching would be young and relatively cost controlled until 2014, at the same time the Yankees decline.

I think Fielder can be counted on for 4-5 productive years as a 1B and 2 decent years as a DH. I think the business about his weight is overblown. I also theink that PA and AM would consider going after him if the SP develops over the course of the season as I believe it will and Jones and Wieters continue to show imporovement, as I believe they will. The teams who will be in the running for Pujols and Fielder will likely be the Cubs, Gnats, Rangers, Cards, Angels and the O's. Boras is making $200 M noises. I don't beleive he'll get that. I think the O's could very well offer $7/150 M for Fielder

Archived