MacPhail is keeping mum about his future with the club

ChaosLex

What I want to know is why are you ignoring what happened before AM got here? GMs weren't allowed to do anything..Money wasn't being spent. INt'l signings were nothing...Drafts were terrible..etc...

The list goes on and on...Why do you act as if none of that ever happened?

Money was being spent. The Orioles had a payroll in 2007 that was higher than each of the years afterwards. Angelos wanted to bid higher on Carlos Lee for example.

The Orioles started going for overslot picks for the draft in 2007 as well with Wieters and Arrieta.

That all happened before MacPhail got here.

The money was allocated poorly, but it was still allocated. Now there is less money being spent on payroll and it's still being allocated poorly.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Money was being spent. The Orioles had a payroll in 2007 that was higher than each of the years afterwards. Angelos wanted to bid higher on Carlos Lee for example.
For one year the payroll was higher..it was essentially in the 70=75 million range for most seasons and, in that season where the payroll was higher, they had some dead money on the books.
The Orioles started going for overslot picks for the draft in 2007 as well with Wieters and Arrieta.

The money was allocated poorly, but it was still allocated. Now there is less money being spent on payroll and it's still being allocated poorly.

This year is the teams 3rd highest payroll since 2000. Last year's payroll was in line with where it had been for the last decade and 2008 and 2009 were still higher than a few years in the 2000s and close to that same 70-75 million dollar area.

The average payroll since 2008 is just under 74 million. From 2000-2007, the avg payroll was just under 73 million...Do you see a pattern here?

BTW, they are spending more on amateur talent under AM than they did before(even though its not enough).

When you speak, do you actually do any research?

I am not sure he has much autonomy as you feel. What do you think he is allowed to do that he isn't doing?

Especially when Angelos isn't publicly available at all. He never makes any appearances or statements that'd allow anyone to draw anything from his comments.

I agree. I was thinking this the other day but failed to post it.
There may have been an understanding when they hired Buck that he would replace AM when AM decided to leave. Randolph would be a good fit for the team as well.

There may have been an understanding when they hired Buck that he would replace AM when AM decided to leave. Randolph would be a good fit for the team as well.

Yeah, I like Randolph a lot. Thought he got bum deal with the Mets. A bit of a Small Ball guy as the Mets manager, but that was the NL.

Wieters and Arrieta were drafted a few weeks before MacPhail took over. The signings took place after MacPhail took over.

What stands out to me is that MacPhail was allowed to release Gibbons, to keep Moore, during his first full season. I don't think another GM would have been allowed to do that.

And of the current payroll, you were pushing all along for the Orioles to sign Vlad, so the money would have been allocated poorly if you were at the helm to.

Archived