Heyman: Teams calling O's for Markakis, Jones, Reynolds and Hardy

JTrea81

Oh sure...I am not saying Nick is untouchable.

I am just saying that Trea's logic with Jones and Markakis is both inconsistent and wrong.

Both guys would have similar trade value. Markakis is the better player in my opinion, but I still think Jones would be worth more on the open market. If anything, I would trade Jones, play Pie/Angle (I'd like to get Rasmus badly) in center, and trot out Reimold in left. If Luke comes back next year he's our DH/LF and can play 1B in an emergency if needed. If Jones is worth more than Markakis he should be traded first, that's all I'm saying.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What Jones brings to CF is more valuable than what Nick brings in RF. It's that simple.

It's harder to find an Adam Jones than a Nick Markakis. Jones is one of the best offensive CFers in baseball.

It may be harder to find an Adam Jones, but it's much harder to get a player that is better than Markakis.

I basically agree with you, but can we all agree that McPhail should at least entertain the thought of moving any of these guys if they bring back a possible 1-3 starter, a legit 1B prospect, or much needed "real" minor league positional talent?
I'm not so sure I trust MacPhail or the scouts on the trades. I really have my doubts about our ability to get value in return. With the O's being as horrible as they have been for the last decade, I'm sure no GM out there will give up more than expected. They know we are hurting and aren't going to go overboard to make us feel better.

How about we deal Markakis, let Reimold play RF (his natural position) and sign Beltran to a 1 year deal to play LF?

Beltran will likely outproduce Markakis next season, and likely both will cost about the same.

It's just an example.

Does it matter to you that Beltran is 34 and has played a total of two games in LF during his 13 yr ML career.....or that Markakis at only 27 is a premier RF and just entering his prime years?

NO!!!!!

to these trades:eek:

But they'll be playing on a good team and they'll be happy, Cindy. Sometimes you have to care enough to let go. And when they're washed up 38 year olds, they'll come back. It's not good bye. It's see you later, alligators.

A small % of me would like to see the Orioles trade Markakis to the Phillies. That way my son has an out and I can allow him to switch teams to the Phillies. We live in Philly country. All his friends are Phillies fans. He could go to the Reading games and root for the same team all the fans are rooting for. His team would be above .500 for at least 1-2 years. This is how far I have fallen...I am entertaining the thoughts of encouraging my son to not root for the Orioles. Help me OB1 Kenobi you are my only hope!!!!

Any thoughts on what Markakis would bring back from the Phillies and would they trade D. Brown as part of the package?

A small % of me would like to see the Orioles trade Markakis to the Phillies. That way my son has an out and I can allow him to switch teams to the Phillies. We live in Philly country. All his friends are Phillies fans. He could go to the Reading games and root for the same team all the fans are rooting for. His team would be above .500 for at least 1-2 years. This is how far I have fallen...I am entertaining the thoughts of encouraging my son to not root for the Orioles. Help me OB1 Kenobi you are my only hope!!!!

Any thoughts on what Markakis would bring back from the Phillies and would they trade D. Brown as part of the package?

I think Baltimore will have to pick up part of Markakis's 2013/14 contracts to move him to Philly. If they do that they might be able to get Dom Brown and a clearwater arm.

Maybe in the latter part of that deal. But Jones won't cost as much as Markakis for the next few years even with an extension. He'll be worth his contract at that point and still has a chance to be better than that. Markakis is likely what he is right now.

The point is to save salary to load up for a short term run, which is the only way we'll win anything with this core.

Why don't you just come out and say we can't afford Fielder unless we move Markakis? That's the real issue here, no?

Markakis and Fielder have each averaged about 3.75 fWAR over the last 3 years, but you want to dump Nick in favor signing a player that can't keep/get himself under 300 pounds?

I'm sure the Phillies would go for Markakis. The players in RF have not fared too well for them this year, making the loss of Werth sting a bit more. What would they give up? Not sure...obviously they would be willing to part with some minor league depth players, but a lot of the Philly players are getting older and breaking down.. add to that, they really have an eye on the next few years (not shortsighted).. it's hard to say. I read that K. Law had only 2 Philly prospects in the top 50, but I don't follow them.

As for your son.. well, it's not for me to tell you what your son should do, but I would tell my son(s) [28 and 25yr olds] if they were in that position is.. that life is more important than just being a sports fan. Have fun and root for whoever you choose... just don't be a bandwagon fan.

Why don't you just come out and say we can't afford Fielder unless we move Markakis? That's the real issue here, no?

Markakis and Fielder have each averaged about 3.75 fWAR over the last 3 years, but you want to dump Nick in favor signing a player that can't keep/get himself under 300 pounds?

If the Orioles signed PF, and he hit 35 bombs, knocked in 110+ ribbies, I could care less if he weighed 300. I've seen enough 180-230 pounders SUCK playing for the O's. As a matter of fact.. oh ..nevermind

Everyone on this roster except Matusz, Arrieta, Britton and Wieters should be available and they only reason they shouldn't be is either they're value is too low or they are still cheap and extremely rare players and cheap (Wieters)

I vote to wait for new management before trading anyone. Doing it under MacPhail and the current establishment is silly.

Why do you say that? MacPhail's greatest strength is trades. If anything it makes more sense to do all the trades under him and then bring in someone else who'll be better with free agency and international signings.

Blow. It. Up.

Archived